Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 10:06 PM
Aviak

Well the topic veered off course, but that happens, to return it to the original topic, with the badgering of my friend who did not want to duo cleric/necro, but wanted magician/necro, I kept playing and eventually ended up hitting level 50 last night. I want to reiterate, I have not changed my opinion about much of what I said, however post 40 magicians are much more viable because their pets are much more beefy and able to survive most mobs you will encounter. I highly recommend that anyone playing always have an earth pet and if you think, for even a second, that you might need to chain summon pets, have your earth pet ready, unless you have jboots and space to move, otherwise you may be in for a world of hurt.

My final analysis is that magicians are among the most annoying to level on P99, but their inherent strengths enable them to survive, despite the agro bugs in place. However, if my friend hadn't pushed me so hard to play and stay focused, I would've given him up 15 levels ago.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:52 PM
Fire Giant

Mage isn't for everyone. I'm surprised you found it annoying, considering how easy it is these days with all spells in and focus itrms. I'd like to tell you gets better 50+ but it doesn't, not till 57 really. If you make it to 60 and get some good kit, mage Is a lot of fun.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 01-03-2022, 06:25 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balimon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mage isn't for everyone. I'm surprised you found it annoying, considering how easy it is these days with all spells in and focus itrms. I'd like to tell you gets better 50+ but it doesn't, not till 57 really. If you make it to 60 and get some good kit, mage Is a lot of fun.
Yeah really, mage super easy 1-55, only started to feel a little outrun by mobs after that.
Maybe he only wanted to chain multiple pets on big kills
Old 01-03-2022, 10:24 AM
Sarnak

You can always make a necro and not buy 80% of your spells if you want the superior magician experience.

Buy pet, your best lifetap, root, gate, and FD. Ignore everything else, including DA which is huge value on the pet chaining front, but since mages can't do that, we'll pretend necros can't either.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah really, mage super easy 1-55, only started to feel a little outrun by mobs after that.
Maybe he only wanted to chain multiple pets on big kills
Could be, you still can do that, carefully with earth pets. Or by kiting outdoors /shrug

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 01-03-2022, 08:40 PM
Sarnak

Any more nerfs on the horizon for mages? How about we make summoning require some obscure reagent, or make the mage take half of whatever damage your pet takes. Fun stuff like that
Old 01-09-2022, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg822 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any more nerfs on the horizon for mages? How about we make summoning require some obscure reagent, or make the mage take half of whatever damage your pet takes. Fun stuff like that
Regardless of nerfs and adjustments mage is still a strong mob killer, and probably the most mana efficient one at that.

If you can manage to kill something with only one pet and a baby nuke after reclaiming then you've barely spent any mana and gotten exp. Necros, shamans, enchanters, for all their strengths and mana recover still need to drop a lot of mana to kill something.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:54 PM
Aviak

I think the issue has always been pet agro transferring to the player. It was never like that, people, I think, have acknowledged that, and for whatever reason it was implemented, it did more harm than good. I hope for those coming up they change it back to the way it was. My post was just to let people know that Magician does get better. For me it was around level 50.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:50 AM
Kobold

Yeah, it kinda breaks my heart a little bit. I really enjoy the Mage class lore wise. The idea of summoning a powerful minion to destroy your enemies sounds awesome. Unfortunately on this Emulated server, the Mage class kinda blows. It's very broken and dysfunctional at this point and will likely be permanently stuck like that. It's kinda depressing. Mages are mostly just coth bots, to be honest.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:37 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

TLP servers are from the real game lol and thru these era's there is chain summoning and the mage pets are much stronger so not sure what more evidence u need
Closed Thread