Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReoDobbs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's clearly a bug and people defending it just like to be condescending because it makes them feel good for some odd reason
Or maybe no one is defending any bug. Maybe they're defending the development process that has worked for over a decade here.

Meanwhile, as a mage who didn't play in classic, I'm curious how this all worked: if your pet died, and you hadn't hurt the mob ... it just went back to what it was doing?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or maybe no one is defending any bug. Maybe they're defending the development process that has worked for over a decade here.

Meanwhile, as a mage who didn't play in classic, I'm curious how this all worked: if your pet died, and you hadn't hurt the mob ... it just went back to what it was doing?
Iirc pet agro just disappeared and whatever minimal prox or initial agro u had on the hatelist, + spells landed, or resist. So it probably should be very little.

Just like if a group mate died. You wouldn't get their agro. If you're second on the list though you should probably stop attacking! Seems reasonable.

I don't know.

Is there even a bug report open? Any word from the staff about how it's working now? What's intended? Or are we just going on OPs anecdote?

I also remember chain pets being mostly an outdoor thing (lots of room to run until fresh pet taunts). Or multiple mage or group thing, and not a common indoor soloing method. Seems also reasonable as necros are mostly in the same boat with fear, as well as druids until they get neck + epic and bracers or w/e
Last edited by starkind; 12-07-2021 at 07:16 PM..
Old 12-07-2021, 07:55 PM
Banned

So there are two bug reports. *some* evidence posted. Haynar and Nilbog agreeing. Nilbog saying he even played a mage in classic. ..While not 100% sure on a fix/update and reasons for it to be the way it is now. Mostly raids where trivial in classic because of pets. And they'd rather they'd be funner here instead of being 100% brokenly classic, so 80% classic. You could probably still pet chain, kite alizeasaur.

It was possible to chain pets awhile. 5 pets is a lot to cast on AC cyclops, it was done though. Seems like in that case the successful pet casts were generating agro.

I'll Google some when I'm bored.

No one hates you because you play a mage. It's a bit off right now. Being mean and taking it personally isn't effective.

Grab a buddy if you need to kill a boss mob.
Last edited by starkind; 12-07-2021 at 07:59 PM..
Old 12-07-2021, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like a bug caused by spaghetti code. I hope it can be straightened out without breaking anything else.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 12-07-2021, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I believe so

I remember from playing enchanter in classic, I mostly just charm solo’d outside. And I’m fairly sure back then that when a mob aggro’d onto the charmed pet and killed it, the mob would just continue pathing along where it was going after. It wouldn’t come after you unless you did something to it

But on P99 it comes after you after killing your charmed pet
Old 12-08-2021, 02:52 AM
Aviak

I would prefer if they're focused on classic, to make magicians 100% classic.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:54 AM
Banned

Yep agreed. It's funner to see how the game really was than get pixels and raid imho.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:47 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Actually, yes. But only if the pet was fighting the mob for more than 10 minutes. Mage would just be given one point of agro unless he got initial agro or was sitting. Mobs forget you after 10 minutes, so it was legitimately possible to have your pet agro'd on a NPC with you having none
Old 12-08-2021, 03:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:

I don't know it worked in 1999, but on Blue when your pet died, you would have zero aggro on the mob. Once you sent a new pet in it would snap the mob back as soon as it landed a hit or spell attack.

What's different now is the some or all of the pets aggro is transferred back to the mage, this change happened sometime after Green opened, I know this because I was playing my mage on blue right before Green launch and this wasn't an issue.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 12-09-2021, 10:58 PM
Aviak

No one remembers it working like it does now. That's the problem. The only person who seems to recollect this process is a "researcher". I'm wondering where they dug up this research? It would be nice to find out.
Closed Thread