Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 04:17 PM
Banned

Be reasonable nilbog,
I left my wife and signed away the kids to her. She did get a majority of everything in the divorce. I have to pay alimony and child support for the next 12 years. I did this all so I could camp manastones and guises for all 8 characters on each of my 25 accounts. I already planned on losing my job because I can't be bothered to go into work. So I've got the welfare paperwork pre-filled out and ready to submit oct 25th. I invested in enhancements to my bathroom so I can play continuously. Pizza hut and kfc are on my speed dial in case I need the raw energy to push forwards. I hope you reconsider the camp lists idea. It's detrimental to the health and community of green. Hopefully you'll see things for what they should be, classic.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

I actually agree with OP.

As much as i hate the idea of someone camping a mob for hours, only to be out DPS`d at the last moment, too much red tape can ruin the classic experience.

These rules seek to make things more fair, but the allure of EQ has always been the unpredictable nature of the game, otherwise, I wouldn't fizzle 11 times in a row trying to cast feign death.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
otherwise, I wouldn't fizzle 11 times in a row trying to cast feign death.
No, that's how nilbog and rogean want it coded actually.
See my sig.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:18 PM
Sarnak

As someone else pointed out OP, you can sit this one out in protest, and so can anyone else who feels the need to be an utter and complete dick about a bunch of circa 1999 pixels on a computer screen.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:37 PM
Planar Protector

Still can't believe they're making green a pve server. How do they get away with this nonsense?

The people want pvp omfg.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:42 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I actually agree with OP.

As much as i hate the idea of someone camping a mob for hours, only to be out DPS`d at the last moment, too much red tape can ruin the classic experience.

These rules seek to make things more fair, but the allure of EQ has always been the unpredictable nature of the game, otherwise, I wouldn't fizzle 11 times in a row trying to cast feign death.
You do understand that this will only be in effect for very few drops. Only.drops that the community already knows will cause a lot of problems and just be toxic 100% of the time. I would be surprised if the number of items this applies to is more than like 5. For now all way know is manastone and guise.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOOLLAYD [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know why you all are giving the OP shit. He made some valid points. You should earn what you get in game. In any game really. I also get why they made the changes they did. People weren't pulling the crap on live back then that some of them do now. Not really. Honestly though I think everyone should wait and see how it actually works in game before forming an opinion about whether or not it is a good or bad idea. I'm just saying. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We can already tell how it will work, though, at least according to what was written.

Items only drop a particular # of times per day. If getting an item is determined by remaining online and "non afk", then a non-neckbeardy player is inherently never going to be able to get certain items, so long as the minimum wait time is something like 24+ hours (which is already a very conservative estimate for what you can expect when arriving to a certain camp with a list going).

Neckbeardy players who share accounts can hand off their list spot and just keep bringing different accounts/characters to the camp, while people who don't do that will inherently be removed from this impossible-to-achieve list, since no normal player is going to stay logged on for such long periods of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke68 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As someone else pointed out OP, you can sit this one out in protest, and so can anyone else who feels the need to be an utter and complete dick about a bunch of circa 1999 pixels on a computer screen.
Nobody is being a "complete and utter dick". The issue here is history and what is correct. When people try to incorrectly portray history, it's not a problem that you fix by "sitting out" and staying silent. That doesn't change things. p99 describes itself as trying to be a museum of the game as it existed back then. If you are a museum of American history, for example, and you try to intentionally leave out the American Civil War as something which happened, that's a big yikes. And that's what is happening here right now, on p99.

Also, I wasn't going to play Green server regardless, so long as it was only static recreation of the outdated game code. There's just no point for me, unless my friends wanted to try it for the first time. In that case I could have found enjoyment in getting to see friends experience a new EQ server for the first time, and follow along with their journey.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:22 AM
Sarnak

Sheesh, someone needs to be less aspy and go play on their own server
Old 09-16-2019, 02:44 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The first year of Everquest was characterized by DPS being king when it came to camping things. Nobody owned any camp/NPC and nobody was entitled to anything, unless they earned it by doing the most damage to the target they wanted. Not everyone would try to play like that, many people chose to avoid competing somewhere that was "already camped", but it's the FACT of how the game was and how it was enforced. "Killing stealing" did not exist in terms of breaking any kind of rule (so long as it wasn't someone stalking another player everywhere), it was only a term that some players used to define competition, and a way of trying to blacklist the opposition.

Aside from the fact that the original EQ devs said they wanted a hands-off approach, and competing via damage for NPCs was explicitly allowed, until instituting the Play Nice Policy in 2000, there are also in-era documentations of these facts from players. Look at these quotes from an article written August 1999: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/edit...l_Stealing.htm

The player who wrote this was just Level 30, yet already had ample experience with having to regularly fight over NPC's. It was a thing, all over the place. An integral part of the game, and of the roleplaying aspect of the game even. Stop trying to deny it.

This player, who describes themself as "good-aligned" and "anti KS", also advocates creating trains as a method of competition:

Again, something that was part of the game. They mention that by this point in EQ, you were not allowed to explicitly train directly onto a player. But fearing a mob or running mobs through a zone, using legal pathing, with the intent of dumping them somewhere to create chaos? Allowed.

The game is supposed to be wild and unpredictable, fully interactive, with players being able to make impactful decisions on the gameplay and society. It's not supposed to be a stagnant pixel farm. The current proposed item camp rule for Green, turns the game into something more mechanical than ever, a literal pixel treadmill. Just /list yourself and go afk in a zone all day, never having to fight anything, and just getting the item you want eventually. This absolute mindlessness and on-the-rails, spoon-fed gameplay is not at all what classic EQ ever was or was supposed to be.

At the very least, the 2000-era Play Nice Policy made people actually have to kill the NPCs during their turn in the rotation, and have to pay attention to the camp if they didn't want to die from adds or someone else's failed pull, when sitting there waiting their turn. Play the damn game!
So basically you want to be a jerk cause it is classic, no thanks
Old 09-16-2019, 02:50 AM
Sarnak

As we all know, this community has shown an immense ability to police itself and restrain its neckbeardiest elements.
Closed Thread