Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Large Bat

Default 25 int 5 cha Enchanter...

Hey guys...

Background is that I have played alot of different MMOs after being fascinated by the genre watching my uncle play EQ as a kid. BUT I havnt played original EQ until a few weeks ago starting p99 and I do have to say... it is everything I had hoped it would be.

So normally when I create new characters in MMOs I try to avoid reading guides because I find it spoils at least a portion of the fun... WELL as I'm sure by the title of this post you can see where this is going.

I just hit level 12 two days ago and snapped up charm. Started charming and trying to level that way however the charm generally breaks in less than a minute and, without exaggeration, breaks between the 1 and 2 minute mark only about 20-25% of the time when charming blues and only slightly better results with greens.

So this seemed fairly cumbersome as I could barely regen mana fast enough to maintain the charm, let alone kill anything with the risk of the charm breaking.

So I spent a few hours trying to make it work before taking to the guides....

As im sure sure most seasoned players must understand, cha is important to us enchanters and in my blissful ignorance at the character creation screen, I decided to dump the majority of my points into int for the extra mana. This was great (as far as my experience can form an opinion on that) for the first 11 levels but now I feel like I'm crippled until I can get some +cha gear. I have 88 cha. Are the charm times mentioned above normal for level 12? And the spell just inst great till later? Or have I crippled myself?

If the case is the latter, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of some cheap (just bought my lvlt 12 spells...) +cha gear or have some hand me downs I may be able to buy at a discount or IOU lol?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:41 PM
Planar Protector

Cha is important but not as important as compared to level difference.

At low level, you will mostly be charming things in XP range, so very close to your own level. As you get higher in level, blue cons will drastically be lower than your level, resulting in more successful charm durations.

Even if you had 250 cha at lvl 12, you will still experience many breaks if you are charming things that grant XP.

There is a lot of cheap +cha gear, including stein and jewelry.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Trust me all that breaking isnt the starting CHA dont let it get to your head.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:56 PM
Planar Protector

Charming is pretty garby at low levels and so are enchanters for that matter(soloing). Eventually you'll have enough mana and regen rates to make your lowest mez and tash fairly trivial. Then you can start opening with mez->tash_->charm.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Fire Giant

Charm break is 80% level of the mob, 15% magic resistance of the mob, and 5% your charisma (roughly). Dont' sweat it. You can easily get 255 by the time your 50 with cheap gear and buffs.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:59 PM
Large Bat

Thanks for the advice.

So I suppose the next question is, roughly what level does it become a viable option for leveling? Should I just stick with the animations? Not being able to control them is a real pain lol but if that's the case I'll just get used to letting everything hit me once.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

Early-to-mid thirties is a good time to start charming.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:04 PM
Large Bat

Cool thanks, I can work with that!
Old 04-03-2019, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwadragon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cool thanks, I can work with that!
I'd really try to find a duo or bigger party, personally. Lot of necros on the server and they make great enchanter partners. from 1 to 60 if they know what they are doing anyway.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Banned

I'll play devil's advocate.

If the time /played doesn't bother you...you may wanna consider re-making and doing 25 CHA.

Reason being...if you wind up playing the character into the end game and start picking up raid items, having that 20 extra CHA will allow you more options when you start looking to stack more HP / armor / mana in certain slots while still maintaining 200 unbuffed CHA.

Honestly, in the end it'll make virtually no difference in your play experience.
Closed Thread