Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Pic broken Reik, and we won't post any more no's most likely. We've been fairly clear on this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

It still begs the question of why they're implemented in a non-classic manner on a 'classic' server. The existence of the penalties (though unnecessary) doesn't bother me. The fact that it makes staying equal-level with my wife's character an enormous hassle, and a non-classic hassle at that, does.

(edit). Perhaps its a tech issue? eq-emu does have its limitations.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 12-01-2009 at 11:53 AM..
Old 12-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It still begs the question of why they're implemented in a non-classic manner on a 'classic' server. The existence of the penalties (though unnecessary) doesn't bother me. The fact that it makes staying equal-level with my wife's character an enormous hassle, and a non-classic hassle at that, does.

Danth

If I remember right the penalties had some way of equalizing themselves so that all grouped members received the same xp regardless of penalties. This is obviously not implemented currently.

If penalties are to stay, I hope this will at least be rectified.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Kobold

being a troll SK I knew what I was getting into to. There are lots of advantages, but a huge disadvantage is the xp penalty. I should be lvl 40+ by now, lol!

Grindin'

Asmoth (sloth reborn)
17 Human Shadowknight <Inglorious Basterds>

Krysanth Firemedic P99 Red
Rogue
Old 12-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth

(edit). Perhaps its a tech issue? eq-emu does have its limitations.

Danth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I remember right the penalties had some way of equalizing themselves so that all grouped members received the same xp regardless of penalties. This is obviously not implemented currently.

Let me double check, should have already been done. There is code laying around here somewhere for it if it isn't.

Quote:
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Has this xp-equalizing system for groups been confirmed? I think this would be a great arguement for keeping the penalties if so.

EDIT: I found this http://everquest.allakhazam.com/edit...rs_letter.html
Last edited by Xaviyn; 12-01-2009 at 12:18 PM..
Old 12-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Aviak

Aeolwind,

Evidently you and the rest of the devs have some reason for keeping the penalty.

What is it?

Can you explain the reason?

My guess is you won't.

If you tried, you'd produce the written equivalent of a rusty bucket with no bottom.

You really think a level 50 paladin is 140% more capable than a 50 warrior or something? What exactly is going through your head?

Do you think everyone would run off and make a paladin or sk or ranger or something? A server full of hybrids?

Rangers are so much more useful in a group than a druid, and they solo better too right? Ditto for paladins and cleric, and sk's and necros.

Go ahead and say "the penalty stays." Nothing I can do about it. But I'm going to tell you this: the penalty is stupid. You know it. Everyone else knows it.

If you feel "froggy," please explain the reasoning behind it? Oh yeah, I am aware that if I am that upset about it, I don't have to play one (I don't), or I don't have to play this game at all (I don't have to.)

But that doesn't change this fact: the penalty is stupid. If the penalty is changed, very little is different. I'd guess the biggest difference would be warrior desirability in xp groups, though taunt is going to have to be addressed sometime eh? Though right now, you take any tank you can get.

What are you guys trying to avoid exactly with this?

Do you even know?

Of course I don't expect an answer.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via MSN to Jify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halladar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You really think a level 50 paladin is 140% more capable than a 50 warrior or something? What exactly is going through your head?
Actually. I'd expect a 50 paladin to be 200% more capable. Warriors have more HP, but require support. Pallies are their own masters. Sure they suck horribly, but solo they aren't as bad as a warrior.

(no offense warriors)

If anything, you're "argument" would inspire me to increase hybrid exp penalties! However, this is a classic server, so classic penalties are in affect. Deal with it! :P
Old 12-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Large Rat

To be clear, I hope to keep this thread respectful. I appreciate the developers hard work on the server as a whole, and I hope to improve on that with this suggestion. I'd appreciate it if people on both sides of the issue would keep the flames to a minimum.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Developer

Some people are unaware of the roots of class based experience penalties. Those roots reside in old P&P RPG's, D&D specifically. Unlike now with the homogonized garbage that WOTC puts out, "hybrid" classes were penalized experience wise. Rangers and Paladins, along with bards required more experience to increase in level which was directly associated with the versatility of the class. You forgo your increased tanking ability to be able to toss heals, root and buff. The issue is that in D&D, paladins and rangers could easily tank as well as a warrior. They just couldn't specialize nor (in some cases) reach the damage potential of a warrior. In EQ, this is not the case. For a long time, Rangers, Paladins and SK's were (in some cases) inferior to warriors for tanking.

The main reason I feel it should be in is that there should be a disparity between hybrids and warriors. In EQ, warriors at the stage we are recreating are designed to be the tank. The penalty pushes more folks that way. I would hazard to guess there would be far fewer, if not too few, warriors if SK's and Paladins had no drawbacks as they do with the experience penalty in play.

In closing, I realize ya'll will rail against XP penalties till the end of time, but seriously. Why? It's a classic server. Classic EQ had experience penalties. Regardless of how dumb you think they are, that opinion is irrelevant.

When I say that this isn't going to change, regardless of how folks feel about it, and you continue to fight against it; You have no one to blame but yourself for the concussion you gave yourself for beating your head against the wall.

Quote:
Closed Thread