Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:03 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmakos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wolves in the Throneroom was bad ass when i saw them last year
Last time I saw them they played with neurosis. Fuckers burnt SO much sage you could hardly breathe the rest of the night. I get its part of their eco-spiritual shtick but cvlt hippies took it too far haha. They do put on a solid show though
Old 12-27-2013, 01:04 AM
Planar Protector

Neurosis is my favorite band

would kill to see them live, but they never come here to the midwest
Old 12-27-2013, 02:47 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

It would be worth it to save up for a trip to head west and see them. Sonically they are phenomenal and combined with the visuals projected behind them... fucking epic. They usually tour the west coast annualy.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvefrost [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you dig Skagos you really should check out Ash Borer.
Reaaaally good. From Arcata CA but some members live in Portland.
Nice dudes, killer records.

As for Until the light takes us,
Many a time. Solid documentary.
Fenriz is such a badass.
Varg is a white supremacist prick who uses the flag of paganism to be a complete racist asshole... But dont get me wrong, I can enjoy SOME bands with NSBM undertones, however I won't give them a cent of my money. And im not going to lie, Dauši Baldrs and Hlišskjįlf are some of my favorite albums to blast during dungeon crawls. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
always down for new bands to check out. just don't regularly cause of dem responsibilities and all. thank you for the suggestions btw.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Sarnak

Speaking of awesome black metal:

Gris - Il était une forźt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUZTGCjYdNA

As with a lot of black metal best listened to with headphones
Old 12-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Sarnak

Ash Borer sounds pretty darn tootin' good. I'll check out the other suggestions later.

Although the USBM scene isn't amazing, save for a few bands, it's still shitloads better than rehashed Norwegian black metal. It's been done before and better, it's time to move on. The post-rock influences usually make for a nice listen. Sometimes it's difficult to find new black metal that is genuinely special and not just a nice listen though.

More suggestions are always welcome.

What did you think of Weakling's album? I assume most USBM bands were influenced in one way or another by that album.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:01 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Glad you dug it man, I could talk music forever. Im glad theres actually some people into BM around here. In a perfect world I would want a Metal/Punk EQ Guild. Finding people who like classic EQ? Hard as fuck aside from all you assholes! And people with good music taste? Hard unless im at a show and its usually all the same faces. Both is quite refreshing.

Agreed on the whole TRVE NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL thing. Don't get me wrong, I understand/respect my roots. But those dudes have such ridiculous egos its insane. Mayhem complex, where you seriously convince yourself you are the greatest band ever, anything less? ...not trve cvlt bro haha

Dead as Dreams is gold (or platinum... Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck) They put that album out and played shows to no one, before black metal really was a thing in the states. Trying to find a copy of that vinyl under a grand is impossible. Shit needs to be re-pressed BAD. And for sure, Huge influence on what is now known as the norm for USBM sound. If you listen to Wolves in the thronerooms demo compared to Diadem of twelve stars??..

Shit is hillarious, but makes sense. John Gossard of Weakling produced the album which formed them into the band they are today. Then every USBM band drenched their recordings in maxed out reverb haha. I'm sure you have listened to them but he was also the guitarist of Asunder, killer funeral doom. Now hes playing guitar and doing vocals for Dispirit. Basically doomed out weakling.

Also if you dudes haven't checked out the documentary One Man Metal you should
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Follows the masterminds behind USBM greats Xasthur, Leviathan and...... /sigh Tastmanian dude Striborg.
This gollum looking motherfucker is pretty much every BM stereotype wrapped into one. Bare through it and the other two make up for his ridiculousness.

Drunk rambling, back to Hill giant slaying.
Last edited by Wolvefrost; 12-29-2013 at 03:44 AM..
Closed Thread