Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Daldean...

I don't really understand why you think..

...would solve anything.

I would expect 200 people sitting on the otherside of Zone In in Dreadlands.

Unless I am missing something...
The difference is this:

Those 200 people may choose to sit in DL or camp out at entrance of KC. But they don't have to sit there for 16 hours for a chance to kill VS. They can show up 10 minutes before, snag some buffs, and be ready to race for him.

16 hours discourages many from partaking in the raid scene cause you could put in 14 hours of tracking and not see the mob.

With zero variance, firstly... It's Classic. Secondly it's classic. And thirdly, the people who want to compete for raid mobs don't have to devote two entire working days of tracking just to see the bloody mob spawn. They can devote 20-30min of porting around, buffing, and then racing for it.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubled [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What? I gave no thought to class R when I made the thread. Not sure why you'd claim that. I've always hated variance. Your claim that higher variance would help has also been tried and proven false. Lowered variance would help you more than us anyway. Feels like you're just arguing to argue.
I don't think higher variance would help stop socking. I think a totally random chance for a mob to pop at any given time would make socking much less meaningful except for that specific mob you are socking though. Sure people would do it still, but if you decide to sock VS, trak may spawn 10 times before VS (totally uniform random, and therefore independent), so the effectiveness of your sock will be reduced. Maybe everyone would just sock trakanon and VS then with porters nearby, who knows. But many mob spawns would not be socked since there would be no windows to tell you when to sock each particular mob. With a trully uniform random spawn chance, unless every guild has like 5 raid forces you won't get the same amount of socking per mob as you do now. There just aren't enough bodies. I think it would make things more fun rather than 0 variance FTE clickfest, which, although would mechanistically eliminate socking, would do so in a way that is super unfun to me. So I don't consider it a good solution even though it would accomplish the no socking thing. Uniform random spawn times are also not the best solution btw, but if modification of variance is all we have I would go with that over 0 variance.

And you may not have given thought to class R, but the increased socking you're doing is a result of it. I'm just pointing out that you have some ability to entirely eliminate socking on 1/2 (class R) of mobs you engage and reduce socking on the other 1/2 (FFA) by working with players rather than asking GMs to step in. Clearly you don't care enough to do this so it weakens the argument that GMs should care enough.

The thread is about an alternative to variance in the title anyway.
Last edited by Juryiel; 04-06-2015 at 03:14 PM..
Old 04-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella`Ella [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Simple solution -

1) Ban Chest

2) TMO changes name to Transatlantic and then merges with Rampage

3) Every other guild class-r guild interested in raiding consolidates into Transatlantic Rampage.
ftfy
Old 04-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

I'd rather have no variance and have a random dice roll determine who gets the mob than have to have a character camped ready for mobs at 16 hours a time. Having someone stare at the screen for up to 16 hours is truly a waste of time and not something I think the original developers of EverQuest would ever imagine.

It would definitely remove the necessity to have multiple level 60 characters camped out across the server. Raid content would be more accessible to all. People could actually play/enjoy the game since mobs would not be "in window" as often.

Who cares if guilds poopsock for 10 minutes on every mob? Guilds might actually choose to not have zerg forces since a reasonable number of people would be ready if they knew when the mobs were going to spawn.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd just like to point out. The log you have of Taken, is 20min left in window, 10min from spawn.

The log of your own guild is taken 1.5 hours left in window. More TMO were certainly online with 20min left in window. I don't doubt it wasn't 55, I'm pretty sure Taken has a larger active raid crew than TMO. But it most definitely wasn't 24.

But this is exactly why. We just say, 0 variance, 2 players allowed in zone when it spawns. Let us sort it out from there.
Maybe, its the only one I had, I do know that we never had more than 30 socking.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderklocke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd rather have no variance and have a random dice roll determine who gets the mob than have to have a character camped ready for mobs at 16 hours a time. Having someone stare at the screen for up to 16 hours is truly a waste of time and not something I think the original developers of EverQuest would ever imagine.

It would definitely remove the necessity to have multiple level 60 characters camped out across the server. Raid content would be more accessible to all. People could actually play/enjoy the game since mobs would not be "in window" as often.

Who cares if guilds poopsock for 10 minutes on every mob? Guilds might actually choose to not have zerg forces since a reasonable number of people would be ready if they knew when the mobs were going to spawn.
This.

And Detoxx that may be... But I'm pretty sure that's false. I'll pull up my logs when I get home and we shall determine whose Sunday Morning 10 min before spawn memory is correct.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Orc

Anyone care to explain why guild lockouts and spawn times of <12 hours wouldn't fix the pooping of socks? Is it simply the thrill of competing with other guilds to get the mob or is it just not classic?
Old 04-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Banned

getting rid of rotation and not getting rid of variance seems like a strange decision, although variance requires code.

but still, getting rid of rotation was stupid
Old 04-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xekk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone care to explain why guild lockouts and spawn times of <12 hours wouldn't fix the pooping of socks? Is it simply the thrill of competing with other guilds to get the mob or is it just not classic?
I'm with you... I am not sure why others are reluctant to hop on this sock-free bandwagon ^^
Old 04-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe, its the only one I had, I do know that we never had more than 30 socking.
I am certain this is a lie.
Closed Thread