Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Brand new player to eq and p99,item questions

Hi everyone, brand new player here, I had a few questions.

First off After reading all of the class and race descriptions I made a dark elf enchanter named varomar, I'm almost level 7 from grinding monsters in the forest outside of the city.

Ok so a few questions I have I hope someone can help me answer are....

Where are the quests to level up and get gear? Are there any or do you mostly level just from grinding monsters?

I've managed to get some cloth pieces off of the skeletons but it has no stats on it only ac, at what level do the quests or monsters start dropping items with int or mana on them?

Am I basically going to be naked til lvl 50? (Max level?)
Old 03-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Items with stats are much more rare in this game than other MMOs.

Quests are also more rare but they do exisit. I suggest you review the project1999 wiki and look under quests to see what is available in the various areas.

Quests generally revolve around Hailing an npc and talking to them though the [keywords] they say, and they will tell you what they need. Most of them revolve around bringing an NPC items.

Also, items with stats either come from quests or killing rare enemies or crafted, but do not generally randomly drop from monsters. Once you get further into the game and get some money, your best bet would be checking out the East Commonlands tunnel which is the major trade hub for items.

EQ is not like any mmo out there, and you do not need to good gear to level up and play until later. It helps, but not necessary. As a caster gear is less important while leveling, while collecting and purchasing your spells will be the biggest upgrades for you.

Read the wiki for tons of great info on the specifics, Goodluck!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Ok thank you, so basically it's not like oh your level 15 you should go farm this area and try to kill this npc? Same thing at 30 40 etc?

Ya I see ppl selling things for huge amounts of platinum, but like the first ppl on this server when everyone was lvl 1 how did they get gear???
Old 03-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp187 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi everyone, brand new player here, I had a few questions.

First off After reading all of the class and race descriptions I made a dark elf enchanter named varomar, I'm almost level 7 from grinding monsters in the forest outside of the city.

Ok so a few questions I have I hope someone can help me answer are....

Where are the quests to level up and get gear? Are there any or do you mostly level just from grinding monsters?

I've managed to get some cloth pieces off of the skeletons but it has no stats on it only ac, at what level do the quests or monsters start dropping items with int or mana on them?

Am I basically going to be naked til lvl 50? (Max level?)
Rofl, the "level up quests that reward gear every 5 minutes" is a trend introduced in WoW and perpetuated through all the shit railroad MMOs of the last decade.

There are a few repeatable exp quests (crushbone belts... gnoll fangs...) but they're not the focus of your exp gain.

This game is a grind, but it's a grind with other people, none of that solitary confinement kill 10 boars grind bullshit. Keeping a mistmoore group from wiping requires the puller to know pathing/agro radiuses, healer to manage his mana effectively, the enchanter/bard to vibe with the group for mez targets, the tank to effectively call shots on which mob to focus and the DPS to attentively follow his lead. If everyone has their shit together consistently, you'll be pulling in a nice steady stream of experience and loot. This is how old MMOs work as far as leveling.

Stat gear you will mostly get from purchasing it that higher levels have looted, so save your money. Although, questing for gear is a viable option too, but it is long yet rewarding. On my wizard, I completed the staff of the wheel quest at level 16, was scary as fuck but still use it at level 60 along with a several other wizard quest items that I quested in my 30s and 40s.

Welcome to the server [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Ok so no quests, no storyline or npc interaction while lvling up pretty much 1-50lvl? Also no gear at all, so you grind mobs pretty much naked? I realize I am a caster and spells are still effective if I am literally naked. But what if I was a warrior or something? Do you just go through the game with no armor or weapon upgrades? that can't be the case.... can it?

I understand if you save up money somehow(not sure how you save up 1000s of plat) you can purchase from max level characters but I don't understand how your supposed to go through game with no gear?

What level does gear start dropping off monsters?

That's a cool story about that staff, is there like a list of worthwhile quests somewhere? for each class?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:38 PM
Planar Protector

Welcome to the server, and good class/race choice!

Don't worry much about quests or gear. Xp > All. Platinum will come easier 30+ once you can kill Highkeep guards for 6pp per kill, and other things. Pure casters are really easy to level without gear; especially since you can take advantage of EC tunnel buffs 1-20. Happy hunting! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Xp > All.
Sig checks out.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:21 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp187 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok so no quests, no storyline or npc interaction while lvling up pretty much 1-50lvl? Also no gear at all, so you grind mobs pretty much naked? I realize I am a caster and spells are still effective if I am literally naked. But what if I was a warrior or something? Do you just go through the game with no armor or weapon upgrades? that can't be the case.... can it?

I understand if you save up money somehow(not sure how you save up 1000s of plat) you can purchase from max level characters but I don't understand how your supposed to go through game with no gear?

What level does gear start dropping off monsters?

That's a cool story about that staff, is there like a list of worthwhile quests somewhere? for each class?
There are SOME quests you can do that result in gear. For example in Kaladim, if you bring the guard out front the warriors guild two scarab carapaces and 20 gold he will give you a 4ac -1 cha helmet. You will get a peice of leather that will have more AC by level 10 so whether or not you feel like going through the quests is up to you. Most people use the quests for XP.

Another example in Kaladim is the bone chip quests, you can turn in 4 bonechips at the dude in the Paladin guild for exp, or crushbone belts/pads in the Warrior guild.

Yet another Kaladim example (can you tell I just made a dwarf?) is you can bring 4 rat pelts to a guy in the warriors guild and it will give you a 1ac 1 cold resistance back item. All very minimal gear that is quickly upgraded from random drops.

But gear espeically for casters isnt as necessary. Its not like, in WoW for example, int increases your spell power. Caster gear is more about increasing your mana pool to cast more spells before meditating (which you learn at level 4 i believe)

If you got here.. http://wiki.project1999.com/Category...nter_Equipment

You can view the various equipment and where it comes from for your Enchant. You can see that most of the gear that has any type of stats are harder to come by either from rare kills or quests. Also something to note is that soloing is not something that is very easy, and most of your time 10+ will be spent in groups, especially as a new player and as a enchanter. Enchanters are certainly able to solo, but learning how to CC, charm and stay alive when those things fail takes time to learn.

People recommend not worrying about gear as a new player because you will be spent on $$ trying to afford your spells. Your power comes from levels, your spells will increase in damage as you level, not from gear. You will be able to DO MORE with better gear, but not do it better necessarily.

Goodluck, i hope this helps a little
Old 03-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Decaying Skeleton

You all have been extremely helpful thank you so much!!!!!!!! Ive learned alot!!!!!!!!

Thanks especially for the enchanters gear link! and stories about kaladim quests, I wish there was a brief write up for each city like that somewhere! or zone
Old 03-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Planar Protector

there are hardly any quests worth doing at your level. My suggestion is to save up pp and buy things in East Commons at the tunnel. When people say "you're a caster and gear doesnt matter all that much", it's true. I play an iksar necro (lvl 30), and tbh I havent spent much pp on gear.

It might seem strange playing a game like EQ where good gear is hard to come by, but that is part of the fun i suppose.

Also, as said earlier, platinum drops in much higher quantities in later levels. So the most important thing you can do is level, level, level!
Closed Thread