Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 01-19-2022, 01:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I last played TAKP, Enchanter pets were one of the most OP things on the server. I saw many trios with a max hasted fully decked out sebilite golem shredding camps in Seb.
Yeah it should be like druid and Necro charms then, which hold up just fine
Old 01-19-2022, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

Part of the nerf is ensuring charm is cast at level +4, so it could end up being a good boost in some situations too...

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-19-2022, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

So by charm nerf...it sounds more like charm boost?
Old 01-19-2022, 07:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depending on the level of the mob, it looks like it. For those of us who like pushing the limits of charm.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
God I hope not.

The whole reason for the nerf wasn't to "nerf" anyone, it was to make things more classic. Making Enchanters even better at soloing is the exact opposite of making them like they were back in '99-'01.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
God I hope not.

The whole reason for the nerf wasn't to "nerf" anyone, it was to make things more classic. Making Enchanters even better at soloing is the exact opposite of making them like they were back in '99-'01.
The fact that this has the potential to make chanters even more crazy will probably be a safe bet against this ever happening.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:02 AM
Kobold

I'm a little confused here. Why do people think this will be charm boost? I know someone posted an anecdote about their time on TAKP, but still no one has explained how the mechanics are going to change, so this will boost charm abilities. They're going to remove the 3rd check on enchanter charms. Having higher charisma helps to boost charm duration by giving enchanters that 3rd extra saving roll to prevent charm from breaking earlier. How exactly will removing that make charms last longer?
Old 01-20-2022, 06:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm a little confused here. Why do people think this will be charm boost? I know someone posted an anecdote about their time on TAKP, but still no one has explained how the mechanics are going to change, so this will boost charm abilities. They're going to remove the 3rd check on enchanter charms. Having higher charisma helps to boost charm duration by giving enchanters that 3rd extra saving roll to prevent charm from breaking earlier. How exactly will removing that make charms last longer?
The same discovery that showed there shouldn’t be a charisma check on breaks also discovered that charm is cast at level +4. This is big as level comparison is the predominant check as to whether a spell is resisted or not.

I don’t recall whether the level mod is only on the cast check or also on the break checks. I’m sure the links in this thread go into better and more accurate details than I can. Deffo treat anything from me on this with a pinch of salt.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Last edited by Jimjam; 01-20-2022 at 07:01 AM..
Old 01-20-2022, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So basically once an NPC gets within a specific level range to you, the effectiveness of charm sharply drops and the difficulty and skill required to keep the mob under control sharply increases.

It's been awhile since I've done this, but for a level 60 chanter it's something like 53-54? Usually noticed it when the mob gets into the level range to summon.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, this would mean that those borderline mobs specifically suddenly become much easier to manage because of the +4 level modifier you get.

I believe CHA as a modifier has the least impact on charm, after that is MR, and finally Level being the largest factor.

This could potentially slightly impact blue cons that are not in that level range... but those are easy to handle regardless.
Last edited by -Catherin-; 01-20-2022 at 10:24 AM..
Old 01-20-2022, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

The fact that this would also allow enchanter's to dump CHA in charming situations may also make those slightly more difficult moments even easier... considering that CHA gear gets replaced with HP, resists, etc. A lot of the high end ToV north wing loot lacks any sort of CHA. I know I have a few pieces that would all of a sudden be coming out of retirement.
Last edited by -Catherin-; 01-20-2022 at 10:34 AM..