Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 09-12-2022, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mega yikes. You should really stop posting stuff like this, it doesn't make you look good, or prove any of your points.

I have been in a big guild for a while. It really isn't as hard as you claim it is, unless your definition of casual is fairly extreme, like playing a few hours a week. Under those circumstances you aren't going to be getting much done in Everquest, whether it be raiding, grouping, or soloing.
Oh wow it's almost like the definition of "casual raiding" is a subjective analysis that depends on OP's (or others like OP's) time allotment and overall goals.

So kind of exactly what I've said a couple of times now. Wow imagine that. But since you basically reiterated my earlier point which you're now trying to dispute, I'm sure you will find some way to change your argument as always!

Next on "DSM Ruining Threads"....
Old 09-12-2022, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh wow it's almost like the definition of "casual raiding" is a subjective analysis that depends on OP's (or others like OP's) time allotment and overall goals.

So kind of exactly what I've said a couple of times now. Wow imagine that. But since you basically reiterated my earlier point which you're now trying to dispute, I'm sure you will find some way to change your argument as always!

Next on "DSM Ruining Threads"....
Mega yikes. Please stop turning threads into an RnF thread because you are angry for no reason. You are the only person ruining threads with this kind of nonsense.

Casual Raiding is generally defined as somebody who attends a few raids when they can. If you are so casual you play 1 hour a week, that doesn't apply to you.

If you can attend 10 raids per year and do a few DKP work orders within that year, you would have enough DKP for a Child's Tear and at least one other item that goes for fairly cheap, like a Vindicator BP. Sounds a lot better than some Thurgadin No Drop Pieces, and sounds like Casual Raiding too.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:08 PM
Planar Protector

Lol I cannot believe DSM is now going to argue that someone's definition of casual play in a video game is not their own subjective opinion and that you have to define it his way.

This is amazing
Old 09-12-2022, 04:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol I cannot believe DSM is now going to argue that someone's definition of casual play in a video game is not their own subjective opinion and that you have to define it his way.

This is amazing
If everything is subjective, how can we have a discussion? There needs to be definitions that people agree upon, or talking is pointless.

If your subjective opinion is that the word "onion" means a tuna sandwich, of course there are going to be communication problems whenever someone says the word "onion".

I am not sure how my definition of casual raiding is wildly off base.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:12 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Problem with reality is it's real OP. In MMO's the more time you spend on the game, the more progress you make. Everquest in general was made with competition in mind with the keyword being "contested".
Just out of curiosity, since I was like, 13 when all this came out...but I look back at EQ and I just think like, was EQ really made with "competition" in mind?

I honestly question if they had anything at all in mind. I always got the impression the devs were just like, "Man idk, sure, here's a fuckin dragon with a bunch of hp and a ton of damage, kill it, don't, we don't care."

Velious feels slightly like an outlier where the content seemed very catered towards the idea of raiding, but classic and kunark seemed sort of like they were just yoloing shit that they thought would be cool.

What I mean by the original question is, did the devs ever actually communicate with the players that this is how they wanted stuff to work or was it more like, "It is what it is because we made it that way and we didn't really have the tools available to do anything more complicated than this"?
Old 09-12-2022, 04:15 PM
Planar Protector

Casual P99 Player: "Yeah I plan to raid casually, maybe I'll play an hour or two a week just to see some of the quick FTE kills here and there if I happen to be available at the time."

DSM: "No you can't say that's casual raiding. You can only use the term casual if you attend at least 10 raids per year and also do other DKP work orders within the span of that year. Otherwise don't say your casually raiding. That's the definition I have chosen so please limit your use of the term 'casual raiding' unless you fall within my definition."

Aforementioned Casual P99 Player: "..."
Old 09-12-2022, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Casual P99 Player: "Yeah I plan to raid casually, maybe I'll play an hour or two a week just to see some of the quick FTE kills here and there if I happen to be available at the time."

DSM: "No you can't say that's casual raiding. You can only use the term casual if you attend at least 10 raids per year and also do other DKP work orders within the span of that year. Otherwise don't say your casually raiding. That's the definition I have chosen so please limit your use of the term 'casual raiding' unless you fall within my definition."

I didn't say people must use my definition at all. You have reading comprehension issues, which are also apparent in the other thread. I am not saying this as an insult. I am getting concerned at how you interpret what you are reading.

I explained my definition of casual raiding, and I don't think it is off base. Your definition of somebody hopping on for a few hours a week to catch an FTE could easily get 10 FTE's per year (attending 10 raids). So I am not sure where the disagreement is. Our definitions appear to match just fine. You could also easily do a DKP work order if you had the time on a weekend or something. It isn't like people who play for a few hours a week never get a free weekend to play more.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 09-12-2022 at 04:34 PM..
Old 09-12-2022, 04:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:

You gotta chill dude, at this point this is entirely on you. He made a super fuckin innocuous statement and you're acting like he shit in your pants or something. He was basically agreeing with you and enhancing your point by elaborating that even some decent items don't cost that much DKP. You desperately need to calm down.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:54 PM
Fire Giant

All of what you guys have said is predicated on the fact that you can even get into a good guild. Something I haven't had a lot of luck with. Been rejected from the "top" guilds and the guilds below them are do-nothings that refuse to play with anyone outside their established inner cliques, and who get stomped when it comes to anything serious by aforementioned top guilds anyway.

Never did end up getting that Concussion spell.

The best guild I've managed to find on this server that actually accepted me was Dial a Port, and well, we all know they're not the type of guild that can muster any kind of epic help.

Just have a hard time seeing this server as being accepting or casual friendly. Years of trying to find a place and a community here have ended in failure. Don't know what else I can do. It took playing on Live, many extra levels, agents of change, mercenaries, and an NPC wizard for me to finally be able to see Plane of Hate. How sad is that?
Last edited by tadkins; 09-12-2022 at 04:57 PM..
Old 09-12-2022, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What I mean by the original question is, did the devs ever actually communicate with the players that this is how they wanted stuff to work or was it more like, "It is what it is because we made it that way and we didn't really have the tools available to do anything more complicated than this"?
It was 1000% "it is what it is cause we said so" in the earliest days to the point of being a running joke how out of touch and condescending they were to the players. The playerbase quickly learned things that the devs didn't understand and wouldn't take input on. You can see how it began to shift quickly though, VP was kinda made as the first raiding loot pinata zone and then Velious was just a whole theme park full of them.

(Velious still had the classic feel though IMO since a lot went into lore and zone design that started to be more phoned in as the expansions went on.)

So yeah, they were flying by the seat of their pants. That one streamer dude who was an original dev said they all expected to be out of work in under a year. So half of the weird shit in classic/vanilla/pre-Kunark was just them being like "IDK fuck it put that drop in a level 10 dungeon, whatever".