Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-12-2023, 04:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have a 40 DE SK that levels in a trio, currently have a Nocti blade + SBS for bash. Looking to plan my next weapon upgrade. Seems that a shard of night would be optimal but poor fashion quest.

I could also get an argent protector.

Thoughts on importance of bash+AC vs 2H dmg as MT in exp groups? Consensus still seems to favor 2H based on what I've read, but the difference doesn't become super apparent until damage bonus ramps in high 50s.
I exclusively used 2h after 30, the dps difference is noticeable
Old 08-12-2023, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have a 40 DE SK that levels in a trio, currently have a Nocti blade + SBS for bash. Looking to plan my next weapon upgrade. Seems that a shard of night would be optimal but poor fashion quest.

I could also get an argent protector.

Thoughts on importance of bash+AC vs 2H dmg as MT in exp groups? Consensus still seems to favor 2H based on what I've read, but the difference doesn't become super apparent until damage bonus ramps in high 50s.
Yea i grouped with you guys in Guk the other day on my SK.

I carry around Exquisite Velium Claidhmore and Ebon Mace / Atramentous Shield. I've gotten basically no use out of the 1h/shield since maybe the high 20's as the 2H does so much more damage that the bash/AC hasn't been worth it.
Old 08-12-2023, 08:30 PM
Planar Protector

If pulling as well, a good shield will usually have resists on it and bash can be used for potential interrupt if you see the mob casting a heavy dot/dd...saves the healer some mana for when you're actually tanking.
Old 08-13-2023, 12:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If pulling as well, a good shield will usually have resists on it and bash can be used for potential interrupt if you see the mob casting a heavy dot/dd...saves the healer some mana for when you're actually tanking.
Warrior kick stuns 55+
All large races can slam
Knight epics allow for bash
Paladins can more reliably interrupt significant casts with a 35 mana stun

But I guess this is relevant for the non ogre/troll sks who don’t have their epic

To be honest the only reasons I can see for knights to use a shield while in combat is if they have a really badass 1hander and have no 2hander in the same league or when turtling down to raid tank an ass beater.

The 2h dmg bonus patch changed everything.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-13-2023, 12:45 AM
Planar Protector

Shields look cooler!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-15-2023, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

There is basically zero reason to use a shield. 2H is that much better.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i only swap to get extra hp for when im tanking something harder like tov trash and hot, really about it.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

A case could be made for shield ac when tanking an absolute ass beater of a mob I suppose but if the difference is using vs not using a shield is making that big a difference in survivability you could also make the case that having someone else tank it altogether is preferable. Statistically you should be taking about 50% less riposte damage with a hander.

Holding aggro with a 2 hander is gonna be easier. More white damage threat at baseline by a long shot and fewer missed melee rounds as it’s easier to mix spell casts in with slower swing rate.

I haven’t used a shield on my paladin since I got Natures Defender. Definitely wouldn’t consider it now with Greatspear of Dawn. Then again I don’t have a sweet ass NToV 1hander with raid shield to match tempting me. I could very well feel different if I had such a combo.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-15-2023, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone didn’t roll iksar!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-15-2023, 10:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A case could be made for shield ac when tanking an absolute ass beater of a mob I suppose but if the difference is using vs not using a shield is making that big a difference in survivability you could also make the case that having someone else tank it altogether is preferable. Statistically you should be taking about 50% less riposte damage with a hander.

Holding aggro with a 2 hander is gonna be easier. More white damage threat at baseline by a long shot and fewer missed melee rounds as it’s easier to mix spell casts in with slower swing rate.

I haven’t used a shield on my paladin since I got Natures Defender. Definitely wouldn’t consider it now with Greatspear of Dawn. Then again I don’t have a sweet ass NToV 1hander with raid shield to match tempting me. I could very well feel different if I had such a combo.
I would like to ask, then:

I have a Jeldorin and an Iceflame on my paladin. Is Iceflame worth using over Jeldorin in any situation at the moment?