Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-01-2023, 10:24 AM
Large Bat

What are you using to run P99 in a VM that lets you limit the clockspeed? It's my understanding that only level 1 hypervisors allow this, not something like VMWare Workstation or VirtualBox.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcase_Fargone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are you using to run P99 in a VM that lets you limit the clockspeed? It's my understanding that only level 1 hypervisors allow this, not something like VMWare Workstation or VirtualBox.
I am using VMWare Workstation, in the .vmx config file you can add a line of text to limit clockspeeds.

find that in your User/Documents/Virtual Machines/*machine name* folder. make sure to enable visibility on all files. they hide the .vmx file

Once located you can open in notepad and add a line of code
timetracker.apparentHz = "4000000000"

Edit: getting better framerate after messing with my resolution and going full screen. im at a playable point but still not smooth like butter
Old 04-01-2023, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloroform [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this sounds like a different issue and resolve. this thread is focusing in on the issues that newer CPUs are running into.

it seems that AMD CPUs over 4.2ghz base clock speed cant get into character select. sometimes throwing up the 1017 error.

im at 4.7ghz *amd* and i cannot get passed character select.

solution but super terrible and depressing, unretire my older machine OR run the game in a Virtual Machine limiting that processor to 4.0ghz.

Now running p99 in my VM i have hella issues with frame rate. game is running like garbage. time to spend time figuring out how to make the VM smooth like butter
I honestly haven’t even tried to run p99 on my desktop. I have Ryzen 5 3600xt over clocked to 4.2 ghz.

The funny part is, we build these great PCs and the run games like bauldurs gate and EverQuest haha. Although Diablo 4 is going to push my desktop to its limits at max settings. I was already topping 16 gigs of ram used on open beta weekend.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:37 PM
Large Bat

The only reason I upgraded is because I could use the cores for VMs/work and MicroCenter made it impossible not with a bundle they were offering. But yeah, pretty bummed my shiny new PC has to be gimped to play this.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:05 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willigetin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So the 7950x3D base clock is 4200. That is why you are able to play P99 out of the box with no issues. Whereas the 7950x base clock is 4500.
That makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:58 AM
Sarnak

VMware blows, someone help me get my 4070 to be recognized by it
Old 04-12-2023, 06:38 PM
Skeleton

Default Workaround for CPU frequency problem

Copying and pasting my reply from another thread for all of us Ryzen owners suffering from this problem:

There is a workaround such that you don't have to downclock.

1) Set all core CCX manual clock to 4 or 4.2 Ghz in BIOS

2) Install AMD Ryzen Master software

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

3) Every time you boot up PC or wake up from sleep - open Ryzen Master, set ECO or DEFAULT profile. This returns CPU clock/boost to normal out of box behavior and overrides BIOS manual setting.

4) Play EQ, or do whatever!

Step 3 is indeed annoying, but this is what I have been doing to get full CPU performance while being able to play P99.

I SUSPECT this works because this tells Windows (and therefore Titanium client) that the default clock speed is whatever BIOS is set to, even though Ryzen Master overrides that once you are booted up and make that change.
Old 04-13-2023, 08:29 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Copying and pasting my reply from another thread for all of us Ryzen owners suffering from this problem:

3) Every time you boot up PC or wake up from sleep - open Ryzen Master, set ECO or DEFAULT profile. This returns CPU clock/boost to normal out of box behavior and overrides BIOS manual setting.

Step 3 is indeed annoying, but this is what I have been doing to get full CPU performance while being able to play P99.

I SUSPECT this works because this tells Windows (and therefore Titanium client) that the default clock speed is whatever BIOS is set to, even though Ryzen Master overrides that once you are booted up and make that change.
it worked for me. running at super speeds 7900x style and i got my p99 toon to log in woot.

set clock speed on bios to 4200. launched windows. launched the Ryzen Master software. Set CPU control Mode to default. hit Apply. double checked cpu speeds (did as expected went from 4200 to a variable 4.7 to 5+) Launched P99 - GOT PASSED SERVER SELECT, LETS FUCKING GOOO
Old 04-13-2023, 04:41 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This is the best solution yet. Still unfortunate but nice that I dont have to reboot every time I wanna play p99. Thanks for finding this.
Old 04-14-2023, 11:21 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by corymaloy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the best solution yet. Still unfortunate but nice that I dont have to reboot every time I wanna play p99. Thanks for finding this.
agreed! which i could delete all my old VM ware posts.

Thanks so much for posting your knowledge and discovery Atomos you're a legend