Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 05:22 PM
Sarnak

Lightbulb Not posting a price for a item being auctioned, why?

As the title says I am just curious if there is a actual, reasonable explanation for not posting the price of a item you are trying to sell on the forums? Honestly tho I'm not saying its so wrong or anything of that nature. I always say, you do you and all. For myself being a very curious and inquisitive individual, knowledge is true power and it leaves me anxious to learn more and more. In Norrath or elsewhere this is the case for me.

I'd just like to understand if there is a point to leaving a price out or not. If anything I would think it would streamline a sale better if you did post a starting bid, that way you don't have so many people PM you with question that could of been answered without further communication and time wasted. They might not even be in the price range at all but if a price is not posted you will get many more PM that could of been avoided, saving time for the poster and the potential buyer.

Anyways, if you have anything you could add let me know in this thread. For all I know at this point each person could have a different reason for not posting a price so let me know what yours is and hopefully I will learn something new. Cheers!
[56 Preserver] Petrified Wood (Wood Elf) <The Second Sons>
[60 Warlock] Deathand Darwinism (Iksar) <The Second Sons>
Old 05-25-2020, 05:27 PM
Sarnak

https://www.pon.harvard.edu/daily/de...-negotiations/

Advantages of Using Anchoring in Negotiation

If you value only the economic outcome of your deal, make the first offer in order to anchor the negotiation in your favor. But if you value satisfaction with the negotiation process more than the outcome itself, you may want to avoid the stress and anxiety of making the first offer.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:43 PM
Sarnak

because the wiki lists a lot of recent prices of items. Also I assume when someone does not list the price they might be open to negotiation.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:50 PM
Aviak

By not posting a price there is a chance people will offer you more than what you would have asked for. Also if you post a price people will almost always offer you less than your asking price because people like to feel like they got the better end of a deal.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

Sometimes, people do that if they aren't sure how much they can get, or they are fishing for a random high offer. They also do it to avoid the stress of choosing a price to post, posting it, and possibly getting a counter-offer that is lower than they want, then being forced to say "no" (hard sometimes) or "how about X" (also hard) or "ok fine."

Rather than be annoyed by auction posts without price, you should use them as opportunities to practice making an offer that you would be willing to pay. You could lowball to some extent.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:08 PM
Fire Giant

If you post a price too high, you may discourage otherwise interested buyers. If you post a price too low, you leave money on the table. Rather than trying to play Goldilocks, you’re better off getting in contact with everyone interested in the item and then starting the negotiation process.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:39 PM
Large Rat

Because i'm lazy : I log on my mule , link stuff in my bag , hang around a bit and if no one is interested i log out. I dont want to check on wiki the average price on those 20 items, send me a tell asking for the price and i'll go take a look.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:28 AM
Kobold

Personally, i will send one tell asking for the price sought, if the reply does not include a price i never respond again.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:59 AM
Planar Protector

I’m not much of a trader, but generally I like my customer to feel like they paid a good price (low), but without diminishing their purchase by making it feel like a handout (many players seem to want to feel they ‘earned’ it, so not ‘too low).

Usually I only sell things to clear inventory slots and if it feels like the item would be too useful to another player to just vendor/destroy (I’m too sympathetic on such things and will feel bad if i destroy something someone might have wanted) so really am generally happy to just be rid of it for a good cause, and make at least the vendor value, you know?

Sometimes i’ll sell rarer items and I might throw on a higher price tag just because I want to make sure the person getting it really wants it.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:04 AM
Sarnak

If I posted a price I wouldn't get unsolicited EC pro tips for free:
"PC Item?"
"Reasonable wiki average"
"LMAO good luck"
Closed Thread