Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is Bannerlord any good? Does it add anything substantive or is it the Warband re-skin it looks like?
Mostly a reskin I would say.

It's early access, who knows when the full version comes out. I've only mucked about with it so far. Plenty of bugs still, and I think a lot of features they were intending aren't fleshed out yet.

Things worth noting, battles can field up to a few thousand units if your comp can handle I think
Improved sieges with usable siege equipment
I think they added more to late game like kids, hopefully more intricate politics. You can die, Lords can die, hopefully econ is a bit more complex.

I'd personally hold off a bit on purchase until either full release
Old 04-01-2020, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Played the original M&B, this mod looks pretty good. Total War: Shogun vibe. The freedom open modding gives.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shingen, nice taste [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-02-2020, 06:38 PM
Planar Protector

I love games like Mount and Blade and Kenshi, but they are VERY hard for new players to get into, kind of like old EQ.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:29 AM
Planar Protector

I was intrigued by the original Mount & Blade, it looked kind of janky and weird but it seemed to be trying to do things no one else was so I followed it here and there, never really finding the time to get into it.

I was bored looking for something to occupy during the quarantine and I saw Bannerlord came out so I checked out the reviews and they were brutal. I mean Brutal with a capital B. There were some real detailed ones from people with 100s of hours into the franchise and besides the technical bugs which I'm willing to discount because of the game state, they specifically focused on the lack of depth, the terrible AI and that this was just basically a reskin of the older game.

I still kinda want to pick it up (not for 45 bucks though jeez) just because it seems so weird and stupid. Not sure :/
Old 04-03-2020, 09:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was intrigued by the original Mount & Blade, it looked kind of janky and weird but it seemed to be trying to do things no one else was so I followed it here and there, never really finding the time to get into it.

I was bored looking for something to occupy during the quarantine and I saw Bannerlord came out so I checked out the reviews and they were brutal. I mean Brutal with a capital B. There were some real detailed ones from people with 100s of hours into the franchise and besides the technical bugs which I'm willing to discount because of the game state, they specifically focused on the lack of depth, the terrible AI and that this was just basically a reskin of the older game.

I still kinda want to pick it up (not for 45 bucks though jeez) just because it seems so weird and stupid. Not sure :/
I'd agree with those. Lots of things are off, game feels a bit empty. Just like with warband I'm doing a lot of the custom battles to start. The mechanics are different than warband and take getting used to, but the ai seems MUCH better in combat, being a human isn't as big an advantage. I think campaign ai is bad, snowballing is out of control, sieges are kind of broken (bad pathfinding and ai... So bad it often crashes games.) Bad things aside I think it will be pretty good once it's fully released, especially once the modders get to work.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd agree with those. Lots of things are off, game feels a bit empty. Just like with warband I'm doing a lot of the custom battles to start. The mechanics are different than warband and take getting used to, but the ai seems MUCH better in combat, being a human isn't as big an advantage. I think campaign ai is bad, snowballing is out of control, sieges are kind of broken (bad pathfinding and ai... So bad it often crashes games.) Bad things aside I think it will be pretty good once it's fully released, especially once the modders get to work.
bummer. Good thing I don't buy anything boys buy it for me.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:36 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Einhorn is Finkle. Finkle is Einhorn. Warband = Bannerlord.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:50 AM
Planar Protector

I have about a 1000 hours into Mount and Blade Warband. Like EQ, it is one of the best games I ever played, warts and all.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

So I picked this up having no experience with the previous version and I'm liking it quite a lot.

It's like a much better Total War game with the main loop being RTS not turn-based which is awesome because that turn-based shit makes simulations into puzzles.

I like the open world that allows you to just play how you like. I like the combat with the zooming around on my horse with my awesome bow and my posse of also-awesome elite horse archers. I love the army mechanics where you spend influence to throw other people's troops into the meatgrinder, just like IRL. I like dressing up my Aserai in the latest they're-not-really-Romans armor. I like that there's three games going on here; the first one is your typical RPG where you gather a party and loots and get better at skills and the second one where you're part of a kingdom, rising in influence and gathering fiefs and participating in internecine conflicts, and the final phase where you have your own country and it's time to rock-n-roll. Really just a LOT of stuff to do here.

The game is in early access and it shows. Yesterday's patch totally broke the economy and all the cities are starving. Tons and tons of bugs and missing features and stuff that just doesn't work.

edit: fucking sieges are awesome! I got a giant polearm I'm the first up the ladder just start swinging that shit back and forth then the rest of my guys climb up then we clear the battlements and next thing I'm on top of a tower shooting gate defenders in the back so much fun. Also the music is just perfect. Tuh dum dum dum tuh dum dum tah dah I just want to march all day.
Last edited by BlackBellamy; 04-17-2020 at 09:41 AM..
Old 04-17-2020, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
besides the technical bugs which I'm willing to discount because of the game state, they specifically focused on the lack of depth, the terrible AI and that this was just basically a reskin of the older game.

Good a reason as any to be interested. I had a similar experience with the original, think I played it on and off for about two weeks. iirc, I could be wrong, it was a download only game back in the day before those things were standard. It was a novelty but I never took it seriously.

edit: just read the last comment, have a good time!
Last edited by Mblake81; 04-17-2020 at 10:17 AM..
Closed Thread