Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 12-26-2019, 05:14 PM
Former Guide

I encourage you to post the evidence about the /guildinvite [mob_name] and the /tell [mob_name]. Let's just be impartial and let the dev team decide the direction they wish to take.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Planar Protector

Guildinvite officer tracking is mentioned here, thread from August 2002:

Quote:
You guys are pathetic. Why give all the hints you can as to the command and not just say it?

the command is /guildinvite by a guild officer.

You can guild invite a in zone mob for the message of if they are in zone or not.
http://www.showeq.net/forums/archive...hp/t-1835.html
Old 12-26-2019, 06:15 PM
Planar Protector

I'm not sure when/if they fixed the sending a tell thing, but it certainly existed up to at least kunark time period...

Also remember the syntax being a little strange on some of them. Like you would have to put underscores in the name, like "an_evil_eye".

Another quirk that was in EQ semi-related to this is if you try to trade an item with a mob and you were too far away, you'd always get the mobs proper name and if it was a generic mob it would look something like " A_froglok_fisherman04 is too far away to trade with" or something like that. Note the underscores and the number. There might have been an underscore beofre the number I can't remember.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:07 AM
Planar Protector

Relevant thread here from August 2001.

Quote:
> >unless I give it other commands before that.
> >If you are not within the PvP range then the pet will say you aren't a
> >legal target.

> >
> >I use that to sort through potential attackers when I am exp'ing (as
> >doing /who every 5 seconds is second nature to me).
>
> VERY nice feature. Although you must begin to know the names of people
> as time goes by, and know to get ready when the usual suspects zone in.

Also, once a pet is agro'd on an in-range person in the zone, I can
/assist my pet and the person who the pet is agro on will be targetted.
Even though they are 10 minutes walk away. Good for if you know someone
is going to try to kill you soon, so you just stand there with pet
agro'd, hitting the first offense spell hotkey until they get in casting
range.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt....c/Dcv-8ICz5R8J

It seems there was a definitely short-ish range to /pet attack at that point, which supports your theory so far Sunderfury.

I imagine "PvP range" meant within range to cast/attack? Bolt spell range would be a reasonable radius imo. Just my interpretation.
Last edited by Dolalin; 12-27-2019 at 06:14 AM..
Old 12-27-2019, 07:29 AM
Fire Giant

Althought it wont let you /assist your target if his target isnt within range of you.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Relevant thread here from August 2001.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt....c/Dcv-8ICz5R8J

It seems there was a definitely short-ish range to /pet attack at that point, which supports your theory so far Sunderfury.

I imagine "PvP range" meant within range to cast/attack? Bolt spell range would be a reasonable radius imo. Just my interpretation.
I mean this is cool and all for red, but as we all know PVP rules were different from PVE rules. He's specifically talking about PVP range which makes it seem different from what the range would be for an NPC. I don't see any mention of a pet message, but that might mean nothing also. It's just too ambiguous, seems like logs would be an easy way to show no pet message but for targeting range you probably need something PVE given the other differences there were from PVP.

I mean honestly it seems like this is an exploit that could easily be argued for even without evidence given some of the other things done on this server that aren't classic but who knows.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:31 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocode [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Althought it wont let you /assist your target if his target isnt within range of you.
Yeah that is how it is now on p99, this obviously shows it was different back then (something that lines up with my memory). Back then you could /assist and get a target from across the zone according to this and personally I remember hitting my /assist key as a rogue as soon as I saw an incoming message from the puller and getting a valid target. Of course memory means nothing but this post seems to confirm my memory.

Of course this is all PVP so could be something weird with those rules, but usually PVP rules limited what you could do versus PVE rather than giving a bonus.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:48 PM
Planar Protector

Things like targeting code are less likely to be PvP specific I think. But I'll keep looking and see if I can find a PvE mention.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:56 PM
Planar Protector

i think it's certainly probable that the /pet attack never actually existed. I have zero memory of it ever existing and being in a guild competing for raid targets I was in the business of knowing these sorts of quirks. But the /tell mob name was certainly around awhile. However it could be that /tell was so much easier that i never bothered using the /pet attack even if I knew about it at some point.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:55 PM
Planar Protector

Reading more of that thread it looks like I'm wrong. They are talking about PvP Level Range:

Quote:
Pets are good range finders though. If you were in my zone I would type
"/pet attack James", and if you were in the level range (+/-4 levels on
RZ)
then it will say nothing, but whenever you got inside its agro
radius it will attack you, unless I give it other commands before that.
If you are not within the PvP range then the pet will say you aren't a
legal target.

I use that to sort through potential attackers when I am exp'ing (as
doing /who every 5 seconds is second nature to me).
So given the mention about /assisting to target people who are a 10 minute walk away, I'd say the evidence points towards the ability to /pet attack a far away target and /assist your pet to get it targeted, at least in August 2001.
Last edited by Dolalin; 12-27-2019 at 05:00 PM..