Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimixownzall [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm poor.
One of my parents abandoned me early in my childhood.
I have bad credit.
I barely graduated High School.
Oh so you mean you're a normal american? Yeah.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilkean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh so you mean you're a normal american? Yeah.
Somebody missed the point he was making.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Fire Giant

Yeah, totally over his head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwoth View Post
What is griefing to you anyway? Getting killed without a white glove to the left cheek and a formal declaration of imminent fisticuffs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros View Post
If you guys hadn't noticed, mimix ownz all, so just give in.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Aviak

Not really I just don't care
Old 04-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Reading comprehension is something you learn in grade school, you should try graduating it." is grammatically correct. You should stop knocking "soft science" since for you it's clearly a hard science. Haha a pun.

Seriously you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Already explained it to you. Have you been tested for spergers because words seem to be really difficult for you.
WRONG WRONG WRONG

Holy crap, I give you the exact reason you are wrong, with examples/identical analogies and you retort, "____ is grammatically correct, derp derp me right you wrong" with NO evidence, and no appeal to actual rules of grammar. Good grief... ok one more example: Potus says, "I flew Chicago" instead of "I flew to Chicago". EXACT SAME THING. You have no idea about verb transitivity. "I graduated from college" or "I was graduated from college" are both correct. The college graduates students, the students do NOT graduate the college. However, like I said, I sort of understand how you make these mistakes, the analytical power required to correctly understand verb forms and combining them with prepositions requires a great fundamental grasp of grammar. I was always decent at grammar, but becoming fluent in a foreign language (French), forced me to master grammar, or else I would have gotten zeros on all those French tests on the past pluperfect subjunctive.

I wanted to argue without google (just brainpower), but since you have no FUNDAMENTAL grasp of grammar and no attention span (you sound like a modern child to me), I googled something for you... take a look: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...ated-from.aspx BOOOM and THAT'S THE GAME... omg it says everything I have been teaching you this whole time... a direct quote from the link is: "So listen closely: If you go around saying you graduated college, you sound illiterate. The correct way to say it is that you graduated FROM college. Here's why..."

I earlier suggested you stop to save face... apparently you are not just illogical, you don't take advice very well either.

Also, the fact that you argue who coined a term as if it means something significant? Is that what you mean? I still cannot figure out exactly what your point on coining terms is... what is it? Newton did not call it "Newton's Law", Descartes did not call it the "Cartesian Coordinate System", and Freud did not call it "Freudian Analysis". People who are forgotten with the times are the ones who name the greats' creations. Even in the soft sciences. I like the soft sciences, I like the humanities, I like grammar. Don't try to label me as an asperger afflicted scientist, just because I pointed out where you were being preachy and hypocritical. I love it when people call me out on dumb stuff I do, keeps me honest. Remember, I pointed out what you were saying wrong because you were being snooty to others about being wrong while making mistakes. Judge not lest you be judged.

Hoping you now might stop, in complete sincerity, I am extending an olive branch: want to kill some mobs in Norrath together? The group chat would at least be exciting! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I am serious; what level characters you playing at the moment, I would love to group with you, so you get to know the real (less argumentative) me.

If not, that is cool, but either way, I am done with this thread, just a waste of time at this point.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Banned

women should be cooking
Old 04-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Banned

It's pointless to respond to Potus. It gives him no pause to state and repeat things that are provably incorrect.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Large Bat

How is this still in Off Topic section?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toehammer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WRONG WRONG WRONG
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/graduating

Quote:
In the 19th century the transitive sense (1a) was prescribed; the intransitive <I graduated from college> was condemned. The intransitive prevailed nonetheless, and today it is the sense likely to be prescribed and the newer transitive sense (1b) <she graduated high school> the one condemned. All three are standard. The intransitive is currently the most common, the new transitive the least common.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/graduating

Quote:
In the sense “to receive a degree or diploma” graduate followed by from is the most common construction today: Her daughter graduated from Yale in 1981. The passive form was graduated from, formerly insisted upon as the only correct pattern, has decreased in use and occurs infrequently today: My husband was graduated from West Point last year.
Even though it is condemned by some as nonstandard, the use of graduate as a transitive verb meaning “to receive a degree or diploma from” is increasing in frequency in both speech and writing: The twins graduated high school in 1974.
You can stop posting now.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Fire Giant

Because everyone knows that posting links after quoting someone proves your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwoth View Post
What is griefing to you anyway? Getting killed without a white glove to the left cheek and a formal declaration of imminent fisticuffs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros View Post
If you guys hadn't noticed, mimix ownz all, so just give in.
Closed Thread