Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Back then we'd have like 50+ players in every zone. Many peeps were on dial up modem lines - look up Wikipedia if you have no idea what this is - but basically it was slow ass and unreliable internet.

Add to this computers that were maybe 1/20 as powerful (guessing) as a today's $200 android phone, and splitting big dense zones into smaller ones starts to make sense.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevGrousis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think what he was saying is that now that we are in the year 2016, where anything is possible (Donald Trump for instance), why not just make it so that there is no more zone loads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With today's systems, I'm sure you could just create a RAM Disk, assign it a drive letter, copy the client over to the RAM disk, and run it from there. There would be minimal loading because the assets are already in RAM, they simply need to be allocated to their registers.
Right - the limitation in 2016 is purely software, e.g. the shitty Titanium client. It would need a complete overhaul in order to rewrite its caching system and then have the client and server actually know what to do when you hit a zone line and all of the data is immediately available. That would be amazing though - just a brief milliseconds-long pause for the server to relay information before you're in the next zone. Screw EQ in the Unity engine, this is what those EQEmu nerds should be working on.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 12-14-2016 at 04:26 PM..
Old 12-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I gots me some SSD, and ZONE LIKE A MOFO
I have dual SSD and it loads fast, but it could always be instantaneous
Closed Thread