Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 07-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Banned

Default Paineel Problems

Paineel has 1 outstanding and 1 semi-new issue I'd like to address.

1. decaying skeletons. On live, they'd spawn 3 at a time at each spawn point. As soon as all 3 from a set died, they'd instantly spawn over again. It was the best spot in the game to farm bone chips.

2. It's nearly impossible to create a newbie Paineel character right now. It was bad enough when you spawned without a key, or died and were sent behind the elevator, and had to wait 6 minutes or whatever for a guard to respawn to give you a key. Now that they take 29 hours or whatever to respawn, newbies are essentially stuck.

It was kind of painful strolling into Paineel today to see newbies wandering all over lost while the guards were down.

On live, Paineel guards spawned much more quickly than they are now, which is why they were known as a famous plat spot. I'm not sure why the guards were changed to such non-classic respawn values, but I'm sure while it stands anyone new to the server choosing to roll an evil Erudite isn't going to stick around for very long at all.
Last edited by Reiker; 07-16-2010 at 05:03 PM..
Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
decaying skeletons. On live, they'd spawn 3 at a time at each spawn point. As soon as all 3 from a set died, they'd instantly spawn over again. It was the best spot in the game to farm bone chips
Doing a necro on this thread because the issue is still outstanding.

I can confirm this as my experience on live at this spot, there were two spawn points on opposite sides of the hill where the instant 3 spawns happened. They would then slowly meander away on their path points, but if you were high level and killed them all quick you never had to move, once the 3rd skeleton of the series was dead all 3 instantly respawned. I used to pay newbies a discounted price on bonechips to join my group and loot all the kills and then sell them to me when inventory was full.

Links below collected from the internet indicating that paineel is a good place to farm bones, not all with specific evidence of the above, but clearly not the way it works here with 6 spawns on a several minute timer:

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/show...93&postcount=5

http://www.crys.org/cof/quests/paladin_quests.htm

http://www.necrotalk.com/archive/index.php/t-4852.html
5th post form the bottom

http://www.necrotalk.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=4
Old 03-01-2014, 01:50 AM
Aviak

I remember coming to Paineel for bone chips all the time and was sad when the decaying skeletons didn't spawn like I remembered. Dug up (necro'd) this thread that mentions it.

Evidence for 3 spawn that instantly repops after last is killed:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/z...96726440131861
Quote:
Aug 25 2000 at 11:33 PM
Paineel is, without a doubt, the best place to plant, sow, and reap bone chips, especially for mid level and up pet classes. Here is the plan - on the wall opposite the entrance to paineel city tunnel is the spawn point for 3 decaying skells. Now, to get them to pop (they all spawn at once), you ahve to kill the three that spawned from there (6 in the zone actually do). Kill a skell, dont bother to loot, just run over to the spawn point and check if the three popped. Once you get them to pop, whack all three with your pet as fast as you can. Again, dont loot yet. When you kill the third skell, back away from the spawn point until they pop. Now stay there. Rapidfire your autotarget key (usually F8) and your pet attack hotkey. The triple spawn will pop immediately after the third is killed.

Showing the 3 spawned, then pathed over the hill towards the guards:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/z...96703722216282
Quote:
Aug 23 2000 at 8:27 AM
Don't fight anything but skellies, they spawn extremly quickly in the back and march forward, and over the hill and march forward in groups of three that spread you.
Caity Laughinghammer 54 Barbarian Shaman <Ra Imperial Guard> Torv
Old 03-01-2014, 01:56 AM
Planar Protector

I can attest that the Paineel newbie ground skeletons did spawn like this. You could stand there casting an AE or just have your pet attack using a hotkey /pet attack a_decaying and he'd farm for you.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Aviak

Bump!

Also found a post indicating noclin's pet should have a chance to spawn from the 3-spawn.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...id=3563#m11491
Quote:
Jul 02 2000 at 10:38 AM
Noclins pet is 100% L4 I killed him 10 times, is even at 4 blue at 5, and his placeholders are decaying skels, he spawns together wth them, decaying skels spawn 3 at once, and he will spawn in place of one of them.
Caity Laughinghammer 54 Barbarian Shaman <Ra Imperial Guard> Torv
Old 07-07-2018, 11:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. decaying skeletons. On live, they'd spawn 3 at a time at each spawn point. As soon as all 3 from a set died, they'd instantly spawn over again. It was the best spot in the game to farm bone chips.
Just wanted to bump this as I see it is still broken after testing yesterday in Paineel newbie yard. Is the instant repop of the 3 skeletons still being considered or are there 'balance issues' with this (such as AFKing a mage on their spawn points to farm bone chips?). If concern is for producing mass bone chips (thus making it easy to BoneQuest too many alts), you could always just make the spawn point a random mob in the newb yard (Fire Beetle, Rat, Bat, Snake, Skeleton, etc). This would at least lead there to be no shortage of mobs for newbs.

In case the evidence wasn't convincing in the above posts, I did find plenty of other evidence to back this up. Essentially Paineel was where you went for Bone Chips on live if you were smart. Implementing this 3-spawn insta-repop would create less zone-disruption / farming issues than doing so in Kurns or elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I'm willing to bet a bunch of newbie yards had some kind of instant repop thing, I seem to recall Qeynos newbie yard filled with almost 100 people when EQ launched and there was never a shortage of mobs.

But anyways, much evidence for this being a great spot for Bone Chips:
2/25/01:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5062&page=4
Quote:
I'll go turn in the 460 bone chips i gathered in Paineel, the *best* place for chips in game. Broan made a lil newbie necro to loot all the skellies I killed, and actually had a hard time keeping up. Theres a spot near the back of the center wall in the newbie area that has 2 spawn points of 3 skellies each. if you kill the 3 on one spawn, it repops and you literally just mow through skellie upon skellie.
4/17/01
Quote:
With my 12 mage in the Paineel newbie zone I can gather six backpacks full
of bonechips in less than two hours.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/z...9&p=4#comments
Quote:
Aug 23 2000 at 4:52 PM
Paineel newbie grounds has the highest concentration of decaying skeletons in the game. A level 50 cleric couldn't kill them fast enough, so you know what this means? Saving up stacks and stacks of bone chips to sell later to bone hungry necros and shadow knights, bat wings are used for levitate so keep them too, LOTS of bats and skels, keep the stacks and be rich and laugh later.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/z...9&p=2#comments
Quote:
Mar 25 2002 at 11:25 AM
For all you necro's and SK's out there- the newbie garden in Paineel is loaded with decaying skellys. It's a small area and they are pretty well confined. With my necro alt I just make a hotkey "/pet attack a decaying skeleton" and let old bonehead run wild as I fill my bags with chips in no time flat. just try and be nice to the lowbie heritics and let them get one or two!
4/30/02
Quote:
I can take the nexus to paineel and get al the bone chips myself
faster than running though newbie zones auctioning.

>Many HL necromancers don't use pets often enough to make them willing to
> pay 3pp a stack for bone chips. Considering a HL necromancer using "/pet
> attack a decaying" can harvest about 60 bone chips in an hour...

Go to the Paineel newbie garden. It's a lot faster there, and you can
get there via the Nexus.
11/07/00
Quote:
Go to the Paineel newbie yard. You are probably KOS there unless you
are anything but an Cazic-worshipping erudite, but the guards are green
there by level 35 or so anyway, and they won't bother you. Presuming
there isn't somebody else already there farming bone chips, there will
almost ALWAYS be a decaying skeleton within sight. If you're a pet
class (and there are no newbies in the area that you would be KSing,)
make a hotkey: /pet attack decaying skeleton (yes, your pet will go
attack the nearest decaying skeleton, even if you don't have one
targeted.) There's tons of bone chips to be had. It still would take a
long time to accumulate thousands of them, but this is the quickest way
that I know.

Kurn's Tower beside the Pit in Field of Bone is great. It's what I
use. Someone with better transport should go to Paineel. faster
kills and even more of 'em
7/31/00
Quote:
If you have an Erudite Necro friend capable of the task, you can
'export' bone chips directly out of Paineel. Skels in the newbie zone
are MORE than plentiful there. A day of work could actually net you
five (or eight if you skip meals, sleep, etc) backpacks full of bone
chips.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...4&p=2#comments
Quote:
Jul 03 2001
The dec skelies in Paineel are the best, they spawn about 6 at a time and the newbies are all clamoring to fight them. They are a primary scource of income to those 1-6 in paineel. Every now and then one will have a cracked staff worth a full plat. Then the newbies crowd around it and try to KS. Its fun to watch.
7/30/01
Quote:
I should have modified the header - she's a blue server Necro, not on
Sullon. I was just talking about not having enough cash after having gained
levels in Paineel. Perhaps the other 60 necromancers cherry-picked the
newbie garden, although given that at least one three-spawn of skels is
instant repop I can't see that happening TOO badly....
On a side note, I came across this open bug report claiming there were missing spawn points in the newbie yard (too few of mobs). Perhaps the instant repop had the illusion of more mobs than it had (I couldn't get the mapfiend link to work in the bug report). However, I did kill every mob in the zone yesterday and found something like 23-25 mobs (there was one necro there that may have killed one or two). All the mobs stayed dead for the full 6 minute repop.

I found this mention of a wizard gathering all mobs and killing them, giving specific mention of 34 mobs:
8/14/2000
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5721&page=2
Quote:
Fun use of the Staff: train literally the entire Paineel newbie zone after you, then cast Cast Force (it's an AE that radiates out from you and hits every target within a short range - it has no maximum targets it can hit like the 3 or so that other AE's do). 34 mobs drop at once. Fun fun.

Hopefully this is compelling enough to implement... By comparison yesterday I believe I gathered something like 13 bone chips in 14 minutes (not classic!).

Just remember: the more people that visit Paineel, the more they become familiar with Odus. I can see it now on P99... Odus is the new min-max hot-bed:
1) Paineel noob yard - exp and gather chips
2) Bank 8 bags in paineel, Load 8 bags in inventory
3) KaladimQuest to mid-teens
4) Warrens / Kerra Isle
<Possible brief stint away, else Stonebrunt>
5) Hey I miss Odus and I'm 50... let's do the HOLE! I know how to find it since I farmed bone chips near there (A man can dream...)
Old 10-24-2019, 07:09 PM
Planar Protector

Bump 2019.

Amax MNK / Amalgamax ROG / maximum
Begging (227)

EQ Map Archive (1,000+ images)
P99 WikiEQ Patch Chronology