Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 09-09-2019, 08:50 AM
Kobold

Default Quakes not classic

I understand earthquakes is an attemt to simulate patch days from when mobbs respawned on patch days. Right now we have vast majority of earthquakes during weekends, and the vast majority at PM hours in USA. That is not classic at all.

Suggestion 1 :Algorithm to randomize Quakes:
Since earthquakes is a "simulated" behavior make them truly random by using a logical algorithm have 0-3 Quakes per month and randomized AM/PM time (Not instanced made by staff members).

Suggestion 2: Gm start quake at more classic timeslots (AM weekdays)
To simulate patches from live era 1999-2001 the majority earthquakes should happen most frequently in weekdays at the AM timeslot in usa, more precicely beginning of normal work hours. Thats when staff used to do planned regular maintenances.

For classic reference, check this link and look at patch time
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/hist...es-2000-1.html

There you can see most are 7-9 am.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

The bigger issue with Earthquakes is how they spawn everything immediately.

Classic raid mobs often were immediate spawns upon server reset. However most Kunark+ raid mobs had a 0-24 hour window from server up when they could spawn. You didn’t just log in to a fully spawned NToV.

If they wanted to go classic on Earthquakes implementing up-time variance of 24 hours on most every raid mob would be where to start.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:20 AM
Planar Protector

Programming-wise doing something you already know how to do, just at random intervals, is not hard, so basic logic implies there's something else logistical that is making them do earthquakes when they do.

I suspect there's a disconnect between A) the fact that players would like truly random earthquakes, B) as you said classic "earthquakes" happened at certain times, and ...

C) we have an all volunteer staff team, and when an earthquake happens they need one (or more?) staff members online at that moment to handle the fights that occur between raid forces. Obviously volunteer staff availability does not create truly random windows.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Programming-wise doing something you already know how to do, just at random intervals, is not hard, so basic logic implies there's something else logistical that is making them do earthquakes when they do.

I suspect there's a disconnect between A) the fact that players would like truly random earthquakes, B) as you said classic "earthquakes" happened at certain times, and ...

C) we have an all volunteer staff team, and when an earthquake happens they need one (or more?) staff members online at that moment to handle the fights that occur between raid forces. Obviously volunteer staff availability does not create truly random windows.
I do like you Loramin, but sounds alot of your reasoning is estimations and guessing. I can easy argue against you.
Petitions on raid mobbs is afaik last method of resort and most disputes handled between raiding guilds themself. It does not happen that frequently. Also, its not a subject of instant reaction as a gm look at what is presented at table and make a judgement/decition within days usually.

It also is perhaps more competition when its not a quake, because at a quake there is mutiple targets for each guild to go for. So quaking at a time of day / week when not most players play should cause less drama/petitions.

I just point out that it is not classic with spawning most quakes (server simulation of a patch) at us pm time weekends its in fact the least classic time. Check the link I submitted and look at patch times and patch dates.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The bigger issue with Earthquakes is how they spawn everything immediately.

Classic raid mobs often were immediate spawns upon server reset. However most Kunark+ raid mobs had a 0-24 hour window from server up when they could spawn. You didn’t just log in to a fully spawned NToV.

If they wanted to go classic on Earthquakes implementing up-time variance of 24 hours on most every raid mob would be where to start.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by saftbudet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but sounds alot of your reasoning is estimations and guessing. I can easy argue against you.
You are absolutely correct, and it was 100% "estimations and guessing".

I was simply trying to provide you with a possible explanation for why this issue hasn't been solved already, by mentioning something you may not have thought of. I wasn't trying to dissuade you from filing the bug or to "argue" with you.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

Earthquakes are an attempt to improve the raid meta on the server.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:37 PM
Kobold

Benefit of truly random Quakes (should be easily implemented by an algorithm) is fair for all timezones.
It also remove the doubt of a GM could be biased to Quake for a friend or paypal donations.

I admit, I live in Euroland if I lived in USA I would love all this weekend US primitime quakes, but now I live in Europa and it ruin my gameplay. To my case I can point on the unclassic timeslot the GM instanciated Quakes so repeatedly are. And its hard to argue against its this USA PM time based quakes is unclassic and very hard to argue against.

I did not know that on live mobbs in Kunark and Velious respawned on 1-24h variance after server patch. That would also solve the unfairness of quakes.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by saftbudet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Benefit of truly random Quakes (should be easily implemented by an algorithm) is fair for all timezones.
It also remove the doubt of a GM could be biased to Quake for a friend or paypal donations.

I admit, I live in Euroland if I lived in USA I would love all this weekend US primitime quakes, but now I live in Europa and it ruin my gameplay. To my case I can point on the unclassic timeslot the GM instanciated Quakes so repeatedly are. And its hard to argue against its this USA PM time based quakes is unclassic and very hard to argue against.

I did not know that on live mobbs in Kunark and Velious respawned on 1-24h variance after server patch. That would also solve the unfairness of quakes.
*holds back tears* /gu great job on all those targets you downed while I was asleep! *weeps at the thought of how much dkp all the US guildmates accrued in my sleep, which i have to compete against using my paltry fear golem dkp that occasionally spawns in my own play time* /gu looks like you got some really nice loots! Grats all!

Straight out of Softbudget's diary.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:29 AM
Kobold

Any update on this issue?

Yet another string of quakes within same 2h period has happened now.

Is it gonna be randomized again like it was on live and past on p99. Or are we stuck with 90% of quakes withing a 2h timespan?
Who holds the key to this?