Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 03:47 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think there's something reasonable to that.

Back in the day on live, knowledge was power. If you knew (say) how to recharge an item, you knew "elite tech" that very few others did, and it let you be better at the game as a result. In other words, you had a reason to be proud of your knowledge.

... but 20+ years later? Not so much.
20 years of a community analyzing anything will result in an abundance of knowledge that previously was affording to a few and painstaking to discover. An elf-sim that mimics tropes of life...

But it was definitely "elite" if you knew exactly the sequence to finishing a quest like Jboots, or the epics before there was a "wiki" walkthrough. I can't even imagine trying to figure the epic out with no frame of reference or knowledge base...
Old 02-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Banned

Back then people chatted about everything like epics and stuff was misleading and hard to figure out, everquest was like a video book when it came out. Stuff to think about all day when you cant play then when you login you try new stuff.

Games today are so boring a big yellow ! Above a npcs head LOL Stupid children missed out.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dephective [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
20 years of a community analyzing anything will result in an abundance of knowledge that previously was affording to a few and painstaking to discover. An elf-sim that mimics tropes of life...

But it was definitely "elite" if you knew exactly the sequence to finishing a quest like Jboots, or the epics before there was a "wiki" walkthrough. I can't even imagine trying to figure the epic out with no frame of reference or knowledge base...
The lack of knowledge back then is somewhat of an exaggeration. Definitely in the early days of epics you're right, but by the time someone went through the whole things once it was available online on sites like Zam, Everlore, etc. etc. This applied to pretty much everything in the game for the most part.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:29 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The lack of knowledge back then is somewhat of an exaggeration. Definitely in the early days of epics you're right, but by the time someone went through the whole things once it was available online on sites like Zam, Everlore, etc. etc. This applied to pretty much everything in the game for the most part.
There were definitely info on sites like Allakhazam, and forum discussions, but it was hard-won for for the earlier discoveries. Even then, information being available =/= an educated player base. The vast majority of players had rudimentary knowledge of core game mechanics, let alone complex sequences for major quest lines and optimal itemization. That was my experience grouping in classic-Velious.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

The Era filters also don't work on the Equipment pages. For instance this page "Pre-Kunark" page shows Temple of Veeshan, Stonebrunt, etc loot:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Special:.../PreKunarkOnly

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 02-12-2020, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Era filters also don't work on the Equipment pages. For instance this page "Pre-Kunark" page shows Temple of Veeshan, Stonebrunt, etc loot:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Special:.../PreKunarkOnly
You have to keep in mind, that was all added to the wiki long before anyone ever even used the word "Green" to describe a server. In other words, the person who made that code (Ravhin) was really thinking more in terms of continents, not chronological eras, and having (say) items from Stonebrunt show up as "pre-Velious" makes sense when you think of them that way.

But with that said, there does seem to be a legit bug there, as both Fighting Baton and Fist of Lightning clearly don't belong on the Pre-Kunark list. Unfortunately your options are to PM Ravhin (who is basically retired and may not even answer you PM) ... or to learn PHP and fix it yourself [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:18 PM
Sarnak

I would have loved to been one of the first players back in the day to creep through Lower Guk not knowing what’s around the corner. Or finding the entrance to The Hole when that first dropped. Killing random guys like Hadden only to discover he has an awesome earring on him.

My god, discovering quest turn-in’s must have been a nightmare at first. NPC’s spawning for 5 seconds and having to hand them things before they run off, trying to interpret their cryptic ass dialogue, misinterpreting something only to have them keep your items thus having to start over.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But with that said, there does seem to be a legit bug there, as both Fighting Baton and Fist of Lightning clearly don't belong on the Pre-Kunark list. Unfortunately your options are to PM Ravhin (who is basically retired and may not even answer you PM) ... or to learn PHP and fix it yourself [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I knew PHP where would I go to fix it? Doesn't seem like the Wiki software would allow you to edit PHP with contributor level access.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 02-12-2020, 06:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I knew PHP where would I go to fix it? Doesn't seem like the Wiki software would allow you to edit PHP with contributor level access.
http://wiki.project1999.com/utils/wikiUtils.php

All the source code is there. Ultimately someone would need to "peer review" it, and then an admin (Rogean or Ravhin) would need to apply it.

However, if you had a working fix, I'd bet Ravhin would at least be willing to "come out of retirement" to review it ... and if not, I'd be willing to hold my nose and review the code myself (I'm not big on PHP, but I know it well enough ... and once I review your code I could beg Rogean to apply it for us).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waedawen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hate how much knowledge the wiki is spreading and fucking morons passing off as if they knew it all along.

hot take, i know.
I would understand if this were 2000 but it's 2020 lol. The wiki mainly just serves as a reminder for the shit we already know but forgot lol
Closed Thread