Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 12:51 PM
Fire Giant

instancing has been gutted from the p99 infrastructure.

teams is your best bet to prevent a unipolar server.

numbers, coordination, and strategy can outweigh gear, especially during classic. Tune on Drybone and a couple BIS apex went up against like 20 Heretic recently and it didn't go well for the gear advantage.

We've only had one P99 pvp server, and the population drop around the 2 month time frame was due to staff banning the 2nd high end competing guild. That soured a lot of people and shifted the power balance dramatically and in a way the server never really recovered from.
Last edited by Danger; 02-20-2020 at 12:57 PM..
Old 02-20-2020, 01:06 PM
Large Rat

I'd toss my vulak gear and primal into mt doom for a fresh pvp server
Old 02-20-2020, 01:23 PM
Sarnak

The problem red has involves two parts.

One issue is that people will outgear others so much in Velious, that PVP turns very one-sided. This was the nail in the r99 communities coffin.

Regular wipes would solve this, but they will lower the amount of effort people are willing to put into their characters.

I think 6 months of classic, 3 months of kunark, 4 months of velious and wipe would be ideal. I don't see the point of transferring characters to blue, if you want to play on blue, just level there, not as if that is challenging.
Last edited by derpcake2; 02-20-2020 at 01:26 PM..
Old 02-20-2020, 01:31 PM
Banned

Another issue is that lots of people dont play red for the PvP, they play it for the easy pixels -- they won't play a new PvP server or a seasonal server.

The key also is to cater for the casuals, not the no-lifers. No-lifers ruin servers, esp. PvP servers where they can 'feel' some dominance by flexing to make up for their inherent lack of IRLife.
Last edited by White_knight; 02-20-2020 at 01:35 PM..
Old 02-20-2020, 01:46 PM
Banned

So in effect:

You need to make a server with faster respawns, and reduced raid requirements, i.e 7 day dragons are every 3 days with variance. ToV should be tuned to require half the amount of people. Also, VP and ToV should be instance zones. However the catch is dragons drop less lewt, i.e 1 item each so not as to mudflat the server with gear.

There should be a 1-50 list of zones that do not have PvP.

So in effect you offer faster PvE (both in leveling and gearing) and 'safe' leveling areas to casuals, remove the no-lifers claim to griefing, in addition make each server have a 12-18 month life span before rolling into blue.
This way people can spend 12-18 months playing on a hybrid casual-PvP server then swap out to playing on blue.

No PvP server will last if it's setup for the no-lifers.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

Regarding any kind of "teams" server. If you're going to split up the teams where one team doesn't have access to a certain class, like for example good vs evil and evil doesn't have bards, then you WILL see a cross-teaming guild dominate the server.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Regarding any kind of "teams" server. If you're going to split up the teams where one team doesn't have access to a certain class, like for example good vs evil and evil doesn't have bards, then you WILL see a cross-teaming guild dominate the server.
rogean said he doesnt like the good VS evil dynamic. a lot of people have stated they want the teams hardcoded to prevent xteaming.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You need to make a server with faster respawns, and reduced raid requirements, i.e 7 day dragons are every 3 days with variance. ToV should be tuned to require half the amount of people. Also, VP and ToV should be instance zones. However the catch is dragons drop less lewt, i.e 1 item each so not as to mudflat the server with gear.

There should be a 1-50 list of zones that do not have PvP.

So in effect you offer faster PvE (both in leveling and gearing) and 'safe' leveling areas to casuals, remove the no-lifers claim to griefing, in addition make each server have a 12-18 month life span before rolling into blue.
This way people can spend 12-18 months playing on a hybrid casual-PvP server then swap out to playing on blue.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-20-2020, 04:27 PM
Banned

He literally told you that you are getting nothing, darkpaw giving you nothing either

enjoy the nothing
Old 02-20-2020, 06:27 PM
Planar Protector

I think red can stay the dumpster for pvp characters. PVP Guys don't want to be with blue guys and blue guys don't want to be with pvp guys.

I think that the FIRST Brown 99 server should be a really short life server like Discord so that issues can be flushed out without hitting big hurtles associated with people crying about losing their time investment in the game. Everyone knows discord is short.

2 teams pvp, DISCORD permadeath short life cycle server.

See how the teams work and other dynamics.

Go from there.
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread