Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-20-2021, 12:06 PM
Aviak

Default Capping eqgame.exe ot 60fps in NVIDIA Control Panel is huge performance boost

I recently did a Windows 10 update that caused my EQ performance to drop significantly on P99. After searching for days for a solution, someone suggested the fix in the title and it worked wonders. It is actually better than my performance before the Windows Update. Several people who I have suggested it to have also noticed improved performance overall with the game.

In NVIDIA Control Panel, go to 'Manager 3D Settings', then 'Program Settings', then 'Add' to add eqgame.exe, then go to 'Max Frame Rate' and cap it at 60fps. My hypothesis is that since p99 is capped at 60fps, your system somehow fights with it to try to drive it at higher frame rates and this somehow impacts performance. By telling your GPU to cap it at 60fps, the overall performance is much smoother.

Here's a screenshot of the setting. I had to restart for the effects to be noticeable.

https://i.imgur.com/JMlcBWD.png

edit: Typo in the title "ot" -> "to"
Old 11-20-2021, 01:17 PM
Banned

cool i didn't really have any major performance issues with one client trying it out now
Old 11-20-2021, 07:46 PM
Kobold

The only performance issue I continue to have is the graphics lighting crash in specific areas of certain zones.

But I have been told it is a result of high end nvidia cards and there isn't much that can be done to fix it.