Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 05:28 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New to 99 - need help choosing class

Hiya people! Im not new to MMOs, even played EQ back in PoP days. Never had a character over level 20 though, either back then or now on Live. So I don't know endgame. I don't know gearing. I used to think that getting Platinum was super rare and people with 50+ were basically billionaires. My expectations for the game are a bit different than others that play. I don't expect to raid or get epic gear or be top-end of anything at all. I don't expect to make a ton of money and be a monocle-wearing dude that farts plat. I just want to have fun and adventure, maybe meet some cool folks along the way.

I play pretty casually, because ya know...life..., so it amounts to maybe 2 hours a night, maybe 5-6 hrs if I am off that day and everything else is taken care of. I don't have any friends or a guild or anyone to play with IRL. So probably going to solo most of the time.

All that being said, I need help choosing which class to play. Don't want to play a healer because i've never been good at keeping people alive. Any tank or DPS is fine, needs to be able to decently solo for reasons above. I was kind of leaning towards Monk or SK, because feign death sounds amazing to get out of crazy pulls.

Thanks in advance for help/suggestions!
Old 02-06-2022, 08:19 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Edit to above: I know my join date says Dec '14. I made this account back then, with the intention to play on the OG P99 server, but never did.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:45 PM
Kobold

What other mmo games have you played and in those games what classes did you enjoy? For solo classes yeah monk or sk are ok, necro is a much better solo choice that also has fd. However if your coming to play an mmo why would you want to solo?
Old 02-06-2022, 09:25 PM
Fire Giant

Shaman if you want to group but still solo pretty good. Necromancer if you want to almost never get groups but solo awesome. Enchanter if you are already a pro.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:30 PM
Orc

If you are certain soloing is the way for you... necro. Like the above said... you'll rarely group. Usually end up duo w/ another necro. Druid is probably more of "meet in the middle". Can basically do everything okay but nothing exceptional, unless you count porting... they have the best port locations in my opinion.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:15 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What other mmo games have you played and in those games what classes did you enjoy? For solo classes yeah monk or sk are ok, necro is a much better solo choice that also has fd. However if your coming to play an mmo why would you want to solo?
Played wow, ffxiv, coh/cov, eq2, planetside 1&2, rift, eso, warhammer, wildstar, etc. Played lots of different classes but no healers really. No interest in healing.

I like mmo worlds and exploring. At times, are we any different than NPCs? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-07-2022, 12:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcriket002 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Played wow, ffxiv, coh/cov, eq2, planetside 1&2, rift, eso, warhammer, wildstar, etc. Played lots of different classes but no healers really. No interest in healing.

I like mmo worlds and exploring. At times, are we any different than NPCs? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If exploration is your thing and solo play is important, Druid probably your best bet. Ports and SoW will get you around the game faster than any class.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IK he responded but not to your solo question. i just got the impression from his question of which class can solo, as finding a group in EQ can take play time away. he only has 2hours and if 1 n half hour is tryin to find a group. Which does and will happen in EQ. So getting a group is irrelevant. means he is looking for a class that can solo, but he would prefer a group when he can get one. Least that is how it is for me. I only can play for few hours and usually just an hour. lookin for a group is usually out of the question.
Closed Thread