Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 03:06 PM
Kobold

Default Which Tank class should I roll?

Warrior, Paladin and Shadow Knight all seem cool as fuck to me. I'm looking for a simple answer considering the following variables:

- I have zero patience and won't be taking these to max level so raid/endgame performance does not matter to me.

- I'm a huge fan of soloing because I'm not always feeling social.

- I'm still new to the server, my main is a level 35 barb shammy. I'm too broke to twink at all but I can craft banded armor and maybe afford a 500 plat weapon if I'm really willing to sacrifice and I can make sow/gate/ivu potions.

- I like doing big dick DPS but still at least be able to hold enemies to my face, so I need less of a tank-focused class and more of a damage dealer who can also hold aggro.

23 y/o forever DM and old school fantasy nerd - Discord: midoo
Odym Drekk
- 54 BAR SHM (main) || Midoo - 52 BAR WAR (alt)

Old 09-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Banned

SK I'm thinkin? Also maybe consider a monk?
Old 09-11-2019, 03:22 PM
Kobold

If solo is your primary thing I would sasy SK. Fear kiting is huge and got me all the way to 60.

Any big dick damage won't happen until you're above lvl 40 (when the dmg caps are removed) and have a nice 2H weapon, but not a DPS class by any means, unless well-geared.

For holding agro, the SK/PAL snap agro is great.

Zero patience and EQ do not mix :P
Old 09-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah SK for you for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineubis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any big dick damage won't happen
For any of these classes lol but the SK is your best shot at that. Altho on red servers, you are able to do that big dick damage you're so after, but not currently on p99s red server because there are no players there. (unless at 60 now a warrior is some berzerk crazy dps machine idk anything about that)

But I still think you will enjoy SK based on your bullet points.

Which one of the 3 seems most interesting to you to gear? Id go with that one.
Last edited by Jibartik; 09-11-2019 at 03:28 PM..
Old 09-11-2019, 03:26 PM
Fire Giant

- I have zero patience and won't be taking these to max level so raid/endgame performance does not matter to me.
+Pal/SK

- I'm a huge fan of soloing because I'm not always feeling social.
+SK

- I'm still new to the server, my main is a level 35 barb shammy. I'm too broke to twink at all but I can craft banded armor and maybe afford a 500 plat weapon if I'm really willing to sacrifice and I can make sow/gate/ivu potions.
+Pal/SK

- I like doing big dick DPS but still at least be able to hold enemies to my face, so I need less of a tank-focused class and more of a damage dealer who can also hold aggro.
+War, or -Tanking

---
You'd probably be best off with SK, if you do want a tank. Either of the hybrid tanks are easy to pick up and tank fresh. Your healers might have to work a little harder, but they are the less gear dependent options. Gear is cheap for Pal/SK, SK solos better than Pal or War, and SK is AFK friendly thanks to FD. Warrior is the only tanking class that can fill a Dps role, sorta.

You might want to consider monk like bigjeff said, or possibly bard. Both can tank, both can deal damage (though by casting as bard), both have cheap lowbie gear. Or if you're set on a real tank class, try out SK.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:41 PM
Kobold

40 minutes later my year and a half of experience with EQ kicked in and I realized I was probably describing a monk

You guys think it's worth it?

23 y/o forever DM and old school fantasy nerd - Discord: midoo
Odym Drekk
- 54 BAR SHM (main) || Midoo - 52 BAR WAR (alt)

Old 09-11-2019, 03:43 PM
Planar Protector

For the ~200P cost of a wu's staff and a little extra platinum for bandages there isn't much opportunity cost. Give it a shot and see if it's for you.

Danth
Old 09-11-2019, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
40 minutes later my year and a half of experience with EQ kicked in and I realized I was probably describing a monk

You guys think it's worth it?
It’s monk and it’s not even close. Such a broke class, especially now on blue with triple attack.

Honorable mention to warrior if you just want to tank a lot more but still do good dps.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Kobold

Make a paladin, no one plays paladins
Old 09-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Kobold

You described a Shadowknight.
Closed Thread