Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 02:28 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Salutations! New EQ player here, looking forward to Green

Howdy! I recently read a Kotaku article on this project's upcoming fresh server that piqued my interest, and seeing as how I've never played EQ before, I figured it might be a good time to jump in. I've played numerous MMORPGs over the years, but the concept of an old-school hardcore experience is something I've been craving as of late.

I've managed to get the game up and running, and I'm debating whether to start a "serious" character on the Blue server to cut my teeth or just wait around for Green. I'm not sure what the game is like on the Blue server since it's apparently been around for quite a while, so my gut tells me to just wait for Green... I'd like to hear someone else's thoughts on that sentiment. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to grouping up with some of you folks next month. I plan on playing a gnome warrior and I'd be happy to tank for ya. Cheers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-20-2019, 10:51 AM
Sarnak

Hey there! Welcome to P99! Someone had linked that article here on the forums and I think people were wondering if it would attract any new players [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I would say to go ahead and make a character on Blue to get started and learn the game a little bit. Even though it's been around for a long time, there are still many low level characters that you can group with. The main difference from Green is that on Blue you will likely encounter high level characters that will give you buffs and/or gear to help you get started, whereas on Green obviously everyone will be starting out as a newbie.

Werga ⋆ Level 29 Shaman ⋆ Troll
Taruuk ⋆ Level 14 Necromancer ⋆ Dark Elf

Old 09-20-2019, 11:15 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome to Norrath! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I agree... no harm in rolling a character or two on Blue to get used to the mechanics and narrow down some class choices before you start in earnest on Green!

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 09-20-2019, 11:45 AM
Sarnak

The user interface is different from other games so you could do yourself a service by creating yer gnome warrior and seeing how to set it up to your play style. It will be different in green but you will see what can be done, maybe.
Shoot yeah. Jump in and try first person, in yer face, nose to belly button in yer case combat.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:37 PM
Sarnak

Welcome, I would recommend starting a character to test the waters. You should 100% start on Green once it is released for the true classic experience and what will likely be a highly social atmosphere. It will be good to understand the mechanics of the game before that though.

In your situation as a first time EQ player, I would recommend against going warrior (more so on green than blue, as on blue you have access to twinking and high level buffs and charity ect). Warrior is the hardest class to play and on green it is going to be even more difficult because of the lack of resources I mentioned above.

Not trying to crush your motivation if thats 100% what you want but as a brand new player I just can't let you do that to yourself without mentioning how hard your life will be.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Welcome aboard! I just got started myself (though I did play the OG game back in the day so I'm not "new" in that regard) and am having a blast. You're gonna like it here.

Go ahead and roll a character on blue to get a feel for the game. Have pen and paper on hand because there's no such thing as a quest log hehe. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Orc

100% make a character and play on blue. The game has an intense learning curve so the more you know the better your experience will be on green. Experiment with different classes if you have time. Note that its hard to get to truly understand the potential of all the classes until 20s or so (some might argue higher) so definitely supplement in game experience with lots of p99 Wiki research [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-20-2019, 05:56 PM
Orc

Also seconding what AbstractVision said - you might want to avoid warrior for your first character on the green server for exactly those reasons. Druid, wizard, cleric, or mage are generally my first character choice recommendations. Druids had a ton of utility (things that will make your life less of a hassle in EQ) and fill a lot of roles, can solo or group. Clerics are very welcome in groups and well liked generally though harder to solo. A pretty straightforward class with interesting things to do, though less utility than the others. Wizards and mages are straightforward caster classes with respective utility, can solo but also fine in groups.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:55 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks for the responses / feedback. I've been reading up on several guides and item lists for the new green server, and I've narrowed down some equipment I'll be going after / quests I'll be doing (crafted armor, Axe of the Slayers, etc). I'm hoping to be able to join a guild that's willing to go after mobs like Grazhak.

I believe I've also narrowed down the dungeons I'll be leveling in based on their ZEM / accessibility. Crushbone is probably where I'll be spending most of my time from levels 6-18, and I'll probably head to Befallen / Unrest / Sol A after that. I plan on working on my crafted armor quests starting around level 25-30-ish.

I realize how difficult some of this might be, but I'm willing to stick with it and work hard and I hope to find a guild that's willing to accommodate that mindset. I've been toying around with a Blue server character for a while and I've narrowed down my UI, and I love the archaic feel of the game so far.
Closed Thread