Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 08-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Developer

Default Bard Songs

I am working on some bard stuff again.

Pulse based mana song. No icon, on players and bard? Does it play non-stop?

Bard Charm - Should it basically require recast every 3 ticks? Does it have to break, before landing again, or can recasting extend the duration to 3 ticks again? Basically, a non-repeating song? I am guessing here.

I need to know if they should work like songs, or like spells? Or a combination? I am confused on how these should work.

I have my own interpretation of how a pulse based mana song should work, functional. But I don't know how it should be. My version, puts a buff icon on the bard. Everyone else, it has no icon, and gives mana regen on the pulse. Bard can start singing, and it goes on and on. You could have 3 bards going, and it would pulse on others in the group 3 times. It stacks with other mana regen spells.

I am trying to have this working right, before I nerf all mana regen on bards. Which I have coded too.

Haynar
Old 08-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Planar Protector

Can you wait until I'm done levelling to 50 before nerfing mana regen? I love exploiting shit.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can you wait until I'm done levelling to 50 before nerfing mana regen? I love exploiting shit.
My priorities really are game breaking exploits first. Then stuff I think would be fun to fix.

Bard mana regen is not in that game breaking aspect. But I have it coded. So I wanted to try to make things like charm, and pulse based mana regen usable, before I nerfed the other.

Haynar
Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Developer

Ok, from reading old posts. Here is my understanding of how a pulse based mana song should work.

You sing it, it sends 1 pulse, that causes its mana regen. It does not create an icon.

My question, is this. Do you have to stop the song? Or is it one pulse, and casting gems reset on their own?

It sounds like charm is a 3 tick pulse, that has to be recast too. But I am not totally understanding how it should work.

Haynar
Old 08-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My question, is this. Do you have to stop the song? Or is it one pulse, and casting gems reset on their own?
Haynar
to my knowledge on live the mana song would last 3 ticks / 1 pulse, and would continue pulsing unless u stopped it to twist with another song like hp regen.
so if a bard casts 1 pulse of mana song it gives the group the buff for 18sec and continues to pulse every 6 sec. if he decided to starting singing hp regen after the 1st pulse of mana song the mana song would stop and remain for the 12sec left, and the hp would start and continue until another song is started. the casting gems should reset but the song should continue unless another song is started. if that makes any sense lol, hope it helps
Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 AM
Orc

For the pulse based manasong you should not have to stop it. If you leave it run you will get a shot of mana every pulse. However you should also be able to stop it and restart it to get faster pulses.
So repeating the song after each pulse should get you a manashot every 3ish sec(song cast time). Whereas letting it run on its own will get you a manashot every tick approx.
There should be no icon for anyone on the pulse based manasong.

For charm I have less knowledge as it was not often used back then, you should be able to continue the song and keep a mob charmed with the manaless version. The charm that requires mana should have to wear off first though IIRC.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 AM
Sarnak

I remember that you could continue the charm song without it having to break. You didnt even need to target your charmed target to 'recharm' it, but that might have been something they changed later on as Im talking Velious here.

My best friend then played a bard and we always duo'd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-19-2010, 06:08 AM
Fire Giant

The bard song would send a 3 tick buff of mana regen (i think it was 3) and if you were to stop the song while people still had that buff on and recast it, it would give them a new refresh of that buff so 3 more ticks

Lich (56+ Heretic)
Zelda (45 Shaman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
silence, 'hardcore scum'
Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For the pulse based manasong you should not have to stop it. If you leave it run you will get a shot of mana every pulse. However you should also be able to stop it and restart it to get faster pulses.
So repeating the song after each pulse should get you a manashot every 3ish sec(song cast time). Whereas letting it run on its own will get you a manashot every tick approx.
There should be no icon for anyone on the pulse based manasong.
That's how it works.

You play the song (3 second cast), it gives 6 mana to everyone (except the bard), people only see the message "your mind clears", no one sees any icon.

If you leave the song playing, every tick it will give an additional 6 mana. If you stop the song, it does not give any more mana for any kind of duration. If you spam the song you can give 12 mana per tick (2 shots). If you have multiple bards in the group you can get a lot more mana (setting up the classic Mana Pump) as the song stacks with itself and with other bards being pulse based. This song is modified by singing instruments, keep that in mind for when epics come out since singing short sword counts as a singing instrument.

For Charm, it's more complicated to me. It appears I remember it differently than most people, but I'm not confident enough to say I'm right (whereas with mana song I'm 100% sure that's how it worked).

I remember charm as a song you could not keep active, if I played charm on a mob, and left the song playing, at the next server tick it would give the invalid target message and /stopsong. So with Song of the Siren's it would mean a maximum 18 second charm. Early on with the level 39 charm bewitching bravura, it did not have a set duration, and I think it only cost 20 mana per tick, but fairly early on still, it was changed for up to 1 minute duration, which was an increase in time, and often lasted the full minute, and it was 60 mana per tick. Again, you could not keep the song active on the mob, ensuring a perma charm, but as long as the mob was charmed it would take 60 mana per tick (something that doesn't happen currently on p99).

The only thing I can find about this is from :http://www.afterlifeguild.org/Thott/retune.php

"Charm
Bard charm should be refreshable, like any other bard song. Originally bard charm was, however, a change was made in beta to prevent players from casting harmful spells on charmed mobs, to counter the (obvious) exploit of charming a mob then killing it while it can be controlled. Charm is a harmful spell. Thus charm by default will bounce off a charmed mob.

Charm should be refreshable on a charmed mob, not just by bards, but by enchanters too. More information on charm a Bard Charm. "

What the poster (thott) is arguing is that charm currently is not refreshable, you can't keep it playing on a mob as a one song permanent, or as part of a twist, but that he would like it to become that way.

Time for work,

and again, thanks tons for all your work Haynar!

Astuce Subterfuge