Default Dragon fear

Lands 75% with 400+ MR

This ain't classic
Old 07-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Kobold

Bump
Old 07-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

Mob level is factored too highly when it comes to resists. It's very difficult to resist a spell/ae from a level 70 dragon, even if you have crazy high resists. Additionally, it's nearly impossible to land a spell on level 70 mobs. You can notice a huge difference between level 63 and level 70 encounters. This is why resists feel so off in Velious, mob level is higher.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Sarnak

Resist system seems to work pretty well up until -1 levels. On even con's its probably ok, but yellows is where it starts breaking down. You can see this in HoT and on Kunark dragons - where 200 resist was considered (look at a number of 2001/2002 era Alla's comments) what made stuff regularly resistable. Remember, 255 was the cap then! We can hit 255 without a bard easily. The problem is that on 60-62 mobs, it's closer to mid 300ish or more.

Then there's lvl 63 mobs, where I haven't resisted a single Trak ae despite having 400-450 PR for every engagement.

The system breaks down starting with yellow mobs, and then flat falls on its face with red mobs. As you scale up in mob level (Velious mobs max out at 70 instead of the 63 in Kunark), it just becomes impossible to resist.

This will, quite literally, turn mobs with AE fear like Klandicar, a mob killable with around 30 people using the right strats, into a mob that probably can't be downed with 60+.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:43 AM
Sarnak

Spell resists used to be broke down two categories; PC level vs NPC resist check and then PC resist numbers vs mob level / spell type. There should be an innate resist level for a PC vs NPCs depending on the level difference. I don't believe that is working on p99 as green mobs can nuke you down if your resist for that type of spell are low (like cold shaman nukes) regardless of the level difference. Resists gearing is/was/should make the difference vs higher level, even con, blue mobs within 5 levels. If that aspect of resists is not working than it might as well be a /random 100 to determine if you get hit by a spell.

"Living my life 6 seconds at a time." - Unknown
Old 07-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Sarnak

This pertains to both the Sontalak thread where it is mentioned that someone should look into his fear (as it was described as "weak" fear) as well as what's been mentioned in the Klandicar threads and possible upcoming Zlandicar thread (unless I've missed it.) The fact is that there are two separate versions of Dragon Roar, one has a -150 MR component and one does not have this component. This separates the "strong" and "weak" fears that we people from the era talk about.

So let's start with this golden nugget of a thread about Klandicar:
http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15877

Quote:
First question: what kind of resists does it take to completely resist his AE? We're not having any trouble with fear, but the AE is tearing us up.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Tynne
The fear is -150 magic resist
Im not so sure. I went ahead and checked Lucy for Dragon Roar and found 2 of them - http://lucy.fnord.net/spelllist.html...xt=dragon+roar

I think Kland's is the one without the -150 adjustment. His fear barely ever hit me with ~200 MR. But when we did Gorenaire just like 3 months ago, most of her fears hit me, with ~250 MR. I think the kunark dragons have the -150 adjustment one
Quote:
Well, your already ubah in my eyes. My guild's first try we had 30 people with an average level of 57, got smoked. Not enough DPS and lot's of lower levels getting hammered by the AE fear. I was the only healer healing for 20 seconds after the fear every time. We got him the next morning with 28 average level of 59,I wasn't there for the second run.
Quote:
Debuffs are key on Klandicar. Although the only slows I remember having landed on him were from melee range. Once debuffed and slowed he's pretty easy. Although we do him with 20ish toons(I am from a lvl 55-65 guild). I dont think there is much neg resist on his fear btw as my ranger usually resists them with 200ish mr. Good luck.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note, if you search lucy today, you see the two dragon roars, at -150 and 0 resist adjust, as well as the fabled dragon roar with -275.
http://lucy.fnord.net/spelllist.html...xt=dragon+roar
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's another thread, this time about Zlandicar: (Nov 02)

http://thesteelwarrior.yuku.com/topi...r#.U7o3m_ldV5c

Quote:
Did a search and went back about 15pages, didn't find anything too helpful.

Just would like some tips on dealing with him.

current info, please correct if not right:
Not many hp for a brood dragon, 80k?
Procs a melee DD?
Slowable
Fear is easier to resist than others?
AoE?
poision and disease?
Doesn't see invis
is alone in his room past the waterfall?
Fun fight? i'd like to get my guild doing the dragons of this level more often than we do now.
would 4 groups be ok for a first time?

thanks in advance, appreciate any help
Responses:
Quote:
Hmmm I'd say yes, never been feared by him myself.
Quote:
I don't recall the fear being much different than the other ST dragons.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Exactly, it wasn't different than the ST dragons, Zlandicar Fear = Klandicar fear = Sontalak Fear.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Thread about Zlandicar:
http://www.thesteelwarrior.org/forum...ead.php?t=3900
Quote:
Zlandicar resists?

Just a quickie, lots of debate on this.. For Zlandicar buff poison or disease?

I know, I know, his AE is weak anyway, but was trying to do it with true minimum force.. buff poison or disease? Tired of doing both.
Quote:
Killed him and we went DR the whole way back when I was 60. Very few AE's landed, many reported the same thing. It's not like I was maxed PR at the time
Quote:
Disease and magic. 200 disease resist at level 65 will insure that at most one or two AE dots stick on you (if any) the whole fight (and they aren't very damaging and are curable).

Magic because he AE fears. His fear is also easily resisted as well, 200 MR should more than do the trick.

He's a necro, so he might cast a poison dot or dd on whoever has aggro, but I don't think it's worth the trouble to buff up PR.
There's a lot more stuff you can find, but that's just a few things. As I mentioned in the other thread, I fought these guys during Velious. My server (Sullon Zek) had been opened up not long after Velious went live, so we did not even have time to farm Kunark gear and we were not all 60s when we started to do these Velious encounters. We were certainly doing far, far worse on resists than the characters we're now beta testing Velious with, and definitely worse than beta buffed characters. Still, it was always the case that once you got to lvl 60 and 200+ MR, you were safe from the dragon roars in Velious.

If one is wondering "man, why would they nerf the dragon roar from -150 MR to 0 MR" ? Well, because they were upping the dragon level to 70 while players were still at lvl 60 (and they were also dramatically increasing their HP.) Whereas the purpose of Dragon Roar during Kunark was to cut down on the number of attacking players to help protect a 32khp mob's precious hitpoints, its purpose changed during Velious so that it became a regular, manageable aspect of a dragon fight. Basically, get your guild to 60, get decent MR (200+ with or without a bard), and you'd be fine. The challenge came in sustaining your guild over time against various different AEs, etc.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Sarnak

And if someone wants to make a storm about someone saying they were 65 in a previous quoted post, here's another post from Allakhazam from Apr 2001 regarding Zlandicar:

Quote:
Can take this dragon out with about 30people that's lvl 59+, you need dr and mr buffs, keep dragon in center of lair, do all the debuffing quickly and have one main warrior lvl 60 try to get agro with all healers healing him for the first 5sec than all charge.....make sure everyone stands around him so you're not pushing him off to one side......

The hardest part is to have enough mana for heals cause his dot is bad, shouldn't be a problem if you have over 200 dr and 200mr for the fear.
Same story, again and again.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Sarnak

Here's a nice video showing a Klandicar fight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLIvMBwaPCI

This video is from a progression guild on live.

http://thefacelessorder.com/

As they state in their rules:

Quote:
2. As a progression guild The Faceless Order prohibits its members from using items or gear during raids that would not exist or be available in the expansion which The Faceless Order is currently in.
Quote:
5. Characters can join the guild at any level, but must be era appropriate level to attend a raid.
You can see the guy taking the video is a lvl 60 monk with 179 MR w/o bard song and 316 MR with bard song. He resists both Klandicar AEs. Look at the other members of the raid - a number of them get feared, but they're in the minority (and probably don't have bards.)
Old 07-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Sarnak

Here's another video from this progression guild fighting Zlandicar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KKacueAJVI

Monk is a lvl 60 with 212 MR. Gets feared once when pulling, at ~15s, resists fear around 1 min mark, resists fear again at 1 min 45s, resists fear again at 2:20.
2:25 he's looting you see his MR is 212 and he does not have a bard resist song playing through the video. So yeah, 3/4 fear resisist on Zland with 212 MR at lvl 60.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Sarnak

Yet another video from the progression guild. Same player from the other videos (I'm assuming he's the guild leader since he's directing raid in rchat and on vent and looting the corpses in all 3 videos).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Vb8b6pHlM

He is fighting Sontalak at lvl 60. Resists fear at 15 s, resists fear at 51 s, resists fear at 1:28.

You can see at the end of the video (1:54 - 2:00) that he has 358 MR when he loots the corpse (with both bard songs up plus some other spell), 312 MR with the two bard songs. So yeah, when you add this to the zlandicar and klandicar videos we see that at lvl 60:

Klandi - 312 MR : 2/2 Fear Resists
Zlandi - 212 MR : 3/4 Fear Resists
Sontalak - 358 MR : 3/3 Fear Resists
Closed Thread