Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 03:33 PM
Orc

Default AOE Kiting Gorge Hounds in EK

Started AOE Kiting at level 2 and felt like I go the hang of it quickly. AOE Kited WK Bandits and NK Beetles, and now I'm in EK trying to do the gorge hounds. I cannot complete an AOE Kite of Gorge Hounds without getting hit. When doing Bandits in WK I didn't need to have Selo's on and I could simply auto strafe run to the left while mouse turning to the right, and I kept the bandits in the bottom right corner of my screen and was able to hit them with Chords of Discord no problem. Now, with Gorge Hounds, I have to use Selos, and I can't even have them on my screen anywhere. So, I slowly tighten up my circles until I hear the dogs footsteps and then try and snag a denon's on them. Occasionally I will try for a Chords but I realize it has a smaller range.

I don't know if its normal for there to be a massive spike in difficulty moving from WK Bandits/NK Beetles to EK Gorge Hounds? I realize Gorge hounds require Selo's, but I feel like its a 50/50 chance I'm going to get hit. I've done a pack of around 15 before with no hits, and it felt fine. But today I tried three times to do a pack of 20 and got hit each time. And I never had the hounds on my screen, I wasn't encumbered. I just feel like its super random and its anybody's guess if you're going to get hit. I normally hover around 80ms for server lag, but this just seems way too damn inconsistent to me.

Is this how kiting is from EK Hounds and on? Everything requiring Selo's and always riding this knifes edge/random chance to get hit and die? Bandits/Beetles felt so consistent and I only died when I tried to be too risky or made a dumb mistake. But I feel like these Gorge Hounds are moving a 1000 miles per second and have a massive hit range. Just curious if EK Hounds are a notoriously hard kite for bards or if this is what I can expect for kiting in OT and FV, etc.

Blue: Tejin Tatsumaki (retired)
56 Dark Elf Magician ('09-'11)

Live: Azen Darkwood (retired)
65 Wood Elf Ranger ('00-'05)
Last edited by ride the spiral; 02-09-2021 at 03:36 PM..
Old 02-09-2021, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

You're not wrong - gorge hounds and other wolves do have above-average runspeed. I don't know whether they have a special hit range, but I doubt it.
And, as I'm sure you've noticed, beetles have below-average runspeed. Maybe that accounts for the jump in risk/difficulty.
Last edited by Videri; 02-09-2021 at 03:54 PM..
Old 02-09-2021, 04:02 PM
Large Rat

Basically all wolf-type mobs run significantly faster than a normal mob. As you've already noted, you need Selo's in order to stay ahead of wolves. Having so many mobs moving at such a fast speed also seems to cause weird positional glitches whenever you have any sort of lag or server hiccup, which might be what's getting you killed. I remember people complaining about OT mobs having a similar issue, particularly with the cats. Hit a bit of lag and BAM, instantly dead.

Not all mobs are like this. It's just a matter of finding the mobs that work best for you.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

Never had issues with them doing tap circles. Maybe try non strafe technique.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

I learned to AoE kite bandits in WK it was fun, when you get a caster, snare it to seperate it from the others, do a big circle and then run the caster to the guards, then go get your other non casters, and you can keep doing that until you have the max number of non casters to aoe kite.

Im just posting this to tell my story.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:46 PM
Sarnak

Gorge hounds definitely took some getting used to on my bard. Nothing you are doing wrong, just takes some major adjustments when coming from beetles.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:05 PM
Sarnak

All your Bards are belong to Us!
Old 02-13-2021, 11:22 PM
Kobold

Denons works just fine killing the hounds. Don’t concern yourself with cords. The range is too low.

My rotation was always selos then denons. Always alternating back and forth playing brass instrument. During the circle I never swapped instruments. Only do denons when selos lands. If selos misses a note play again till it lands then denons.

Rinse and repeat till dead.

Helped by having macros for both songs.

/stopsong
/cast gem#

Simple macro. Gets the job done.

Not 100% kill each time. Game likes to try and fix your rotation when circling and if not lucky means certain death.
Closed Thread