Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unless you're going to twink the hell out of it, just play a monk.
Speaking from the experience of having a 60 monk and an almost 52 ranger there are some important differences. Using a Swarmcaller and spells I can solo things at 51 on my ranger that I definitely couldn't on my monk at the same level.

Just going by dps the ranger can't hold a candle to the monk but it's definitely nice having sow all the time and harmo and unlimited invis. The amount of tricks and clickies a ranger has access to dwarfs a monks toolkit by far.

That being said every time I'm playing my ranger I miss FD dearly.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:04 PM
Fire Giant

I played ranger untwinked in classic and solo'd quite a bit.

Generally, you are doing some combination of face tanking + root and shoot. It is a little tedious but gets the job done. On the plus side, outdoors you can snare + bow kite pretty much anything that doesn't summon, even deep reds. So if you're lvl 15 and you need to kill a lvl 37 warrior mob outdoors, you can absolutely do it, albeit slowly.

With Kunark, you have some new goodies (e.g. Tolans, Swarmcaller, Fungi, Haste Cloak apparently, etc.) that will make the whole process easier. If you don't have a bunch of plat and or belong to a raiding guild, these will be less impactful of course, but they are there for you eventually. Velious will continue to bring fun toys to the class.

All in all, It is a pretty great 'explore the world' class. On my ranger, I can get around most places with ease, but no so much indoor dungeons. If you're looking for a dungeon crawling class, Ranger aint it.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Every time I play my monk, I miss snare dearly!

On green, it's a long wait til that snare hammer...
Old 01-18-2021, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

Unless you're twinked your only viable option is fear kiting
Old 01-18-2021, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
False.
There were plenty of rangers in classic who soloed to 50. now there some rangers soloing from 50-60. It’s very doable but don’t expect more than 4% xp per hr 57+.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:30 PM
Planar Protector

You can't fear kite until Velious.

So you need to snare and arrow kite with dots and melee mixed in as your HP allows.

You can heal up fast if you sit between casts of minor healing like a smart guy, and use basically no mana to heal up, which will let you have relatively low downtime compared to a warrior but not that low.

Arrows for when you are too beat up to keep going. Works best outdoors.

Panic animal should have always been with this class but...well it wasnt.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:12 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers are a great money making class, so you can twink yourself if you know what you're doing. Hint: snipe nameds, do outdoor camps, etc.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Every time I play my monk, I miss snare dearly! ..

Yes to both. FD and gate on a ranger would be grand.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:47 AM
Planar Protector

I duo'd a lot with a Ranger on my necromancer and it was oddly a perfect combo for a shockingly large amount of content. That Ranger however was geared to the literal teeth (Orna)
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 01-21-2021, 07:06 AM
Planar Protector

Don't listen to all these nuts. If you try to solo an untwinked ranger past the 20s you will be doing a shit ton of rooting and shooting/rooting and healing. I know this bc my ranger had epics and full sky gear in kunark and has tov gear now at lvl52 and even then fights include rooting and healing. Tbf you are asking about soloing on a hybrid in classic eq in 2021 so you just might have the tisms necessary to slog it out though so gl.

In answer to your other question, rangers can get decently strong and solo some cool content at the high end but you actually are better off with a knight at 60 with bis gear if you want to play that game. I know this bc I've tried it on both on 99 with bis gear and the ranger still underperforms in comparison.