Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 03-29-2024, 10:31 AM
Planar Protector

There are some basics of playing a shaman that are either being missed or glossed over.

1.) Slow is an efficient way to mitigate incoming damage: It’s obvious but whether rooting, tanking, or having your pet tank it’s one of your few control spells. Every hit you take is a risk and at the very least it’s mana lost since the opportunity cost of hit points is being able to cannibalize

2.) Root is another way to mitigate incoming damage: It’s quick and if successful is extremely efficient…you go from taking damage to not. The only time rooting doesn’t make sense is if the npc will gate/ch, summons, or root is breaking in one server tick consistently (ie: most 55+ mobs)

3.) Your pet is marginal dps but again, a control tool: A slowed NPC attacking your pet will have its melee timer on cooldown the majority of the time. Less damage to the pet but also if root breaks and you are higher on the aggro list it’s very likely by the time it runs and reaches you the swing timer will still be on CD. That means you can root and back up before taking damage. Worst case you will take one round of damage, not two…again, less risk and at least less mana lost.

Outside stunt solo kills or green cons, a shaman should be prone to root often. Even with a JBB if root breaks on the first click you just got to nuke for 250+ for the cost of 30 mana, which is a screaming deal. Leveling up I would always root/slow and start clicking. Usually would get 2-3 before the first break…sometimes I’d get 5-6 clicks.

I wouldn’t mess around with a scourge hammer unless doing very slow stunt kills at 60. Even in Chardok it barely justifies the swap. It’s a slow drip dot so proc RNG combined with the timer means at best it’s like 4.5dps. If you really need the dps I prefer to burn a shaman DS potion which in Chardok is about 8dps even on a slowed mob. Or just do what most do and wait it out. Killing with a shaman using torp and your tools is watching paint dry…kick up your feet and just wait.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:51 AM
Planar Protector

Blight, Hammer of the Scourge is good for leveling.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:05 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yep

...just find 1 chill twink and profit

Were talking about EQ right? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-10-2024, 09:45 AM
Kobold

Currently leveling a shammy just dinged lvl 40. Few quick highlights that should help.

1) Poison wind censor I find to be the best weapon/price until epic
2) Your pet is super OP at lower levels, prioritize getting your pet spells as soon as available
3) If soloing don't waste mana casting heal on yourself, keep regen on at all times and manage your HP by letting your pet tank at times (once you get your first one). Regen + Canni is mana positive everyone before those spell lines progress.
4) I find the most efficient way to kill is to spend your mana buffing yourself not nuking or dot'ing mobs, keep your buffs up and melee everything until atleast 45.