Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 01:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorsmash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^ this right here.

There is zip dex on SK gear, and later on in the levels mana does become a problem for larger race non-raiding players, but to this day I clearly remember dex being a problem because it's so low.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Blood_Sky_Face_Plate

https://wiki.project1999.com/Pearlescent_Pauldrons

https://wiki.project1999.com/Crimson_Ring_of_the_Djinni

https://wiki.project1999.com/Twisted_Bone_Earring
Old 11-18-2019, 03:45 AM
Planar Protector

FSI is nice for reverse kiting and FD splitting. Bash is the first attack (I believe) npc’s use so those are the most noticeable moments.

Really though any race works. It’s further proof the player/gear/level makes the toon, not starting stats and some minor perks. It also makes the debate that much more ridiculous for classes that can’t pick an ogre or regen class.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:38 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FSI is nice for reverse kiting and FD splitting. Bash is the first attack (I believe) npc’s use so those are the most noticeable moments.

Really though any race works. It’s further proof the player/gear/level makes the toon, not starting stats and some minor perks. It also makes the debate that much more ridiculous for classes that can’t pick an ogre or regen class.
I was thinking that myself. What about all the other classes that can't pick Ogre or Troll as a race? Does that mean all of those are gimped as well because they don't have the Ogre's Front Stun Immunity or Troll's HP Regen? I mean they do fine without it and those other races have their perks as well.

Although countless articles, wiki's, blogs, posts and such I've read have all agreed that making a Dark Elf Shadow Knight is not a good idea. Apparently they don't make great Shadow Knight tanks or some such. Which makes no sense to me honestly. Then why offer Shadow Knight to another other race other than Troll or Ogre?
Last edited by Xruptor; 11-18-2019 at 08:41 AM..
Old 11-18-2019, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

Prioritizing dexterity on a SK is very narrow sighted and hinges on one specific weapon you may or may not ever see ... and a weapon in several ways outclassed by ToV drops. 15-20 more dex under the cap works out to 0.1-0.13 more procs per minute of below 255 dex on a proc that lasts 5 ticks.

190 vs 210 dex (or 150 vs 170) on an epic sk (30sec duration proc tap) will be nearly imperceptible. By the time you have epic you’ll be rolling around with shamans who can stack dex/focus to the tune of +130 your unbuffed.

Dex isn’t a bad choice but to make your decisions at level 1 solely on one weapon in the game and insisting it’s the best choice is giggle worthy. Especially when there are racial choices that at 60 give you permanent uptime healing regen 1/5 the potency of this weapon proc.

As has been pointed out, as long as you have 75 base agility you can dump your points into anything but cha/wisdom and not have made a mistake.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 11-18-2019, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xruptor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was thinking that myself. What about all the other classes that can't pick Ogre or Troll as a race? Does that mean all of those are gimped as well because they don't have the Ogre's Front Stun Immunity or Troll's HP Regen? I mean they do fine without it and those other races have their perks as well.

Although countless articles, wiki's, blogs, posts and such I've read have all agreed that making a Dark Elf Shadow Knight is not a good idea. Apparently they don't make great Shadow Knight tanks or some such. Which makes no sense to me honestly. Then why offer Shadow Knight to another other race other than Troll or Ogre?

I’ve had people send random tells to my Eru paladin asking if I regretted my race choice over a better stat one. I literally said, “I see a LOT of dark elf sk’s and they could have rolled Ogre.” Shuts them up quick.

I don’t think it’s a “bad” option though. Just a few hundred less hps and less than optimal melee stats. No slam (a case for a 1h/shield) or racial perk. Maybe a bit harder to solo but you are also not eating a 15% or 20% do penalty (far more on green). You gotta go with what makes you happy because the one constant in this game of pixel lust is you will be staring at your character a LOT.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’ve had people send random tells to my Eru paladin asking if I regretted my race choice over a better stat one. I literally said, “I see a LOT of dark elf sk’s and they could have rolled Ogre.” Shuts them up quick.

I don’t think it’s a “bad” option though. Just a few hundred less hps and less than optimal melee stats. No slam (a case for a 1h/shield) or racial perk. Maybe a bit harder to solo but you are also not eating a 15% or 20% do penalty (far more on green). You gotta go with what makes you happy because the one constant in this game of pixel lust is you will be staring at your character a LOT.
Yeah that's what I mostly read. Just some missing HP and no FSI/Regen for DE. Though folks still play them regardless. Otherwise no point in playing Erudite/Human/DE SK. That's what I told my friend.
Last edited by Xruptor; 11-18-2019 at 01:34 PM..
Old 11-18-2019, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xruptor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah that's what I mostly read. Just some missing HP and no FSI/Regen for DE. Though folks still play them regardless. Otherwise no point in playing Erudite/Human/DE SK. That's what I told my friend.
Play what you like to stare at(sk Can skelly illusion at 55) but don’t just dismiss those differences. People pay a shitload of pp/dkp to get those extra stats whereas you already have a lot of that with trolls/ogres at birth.

Int doesn’t mean shit on an SK. I’ve also played tons of rare combos like erudite pally and I’m just having way more fun being beefier on my troll sk. Slam is also a big deal., and you don’t have to depend on 1 weapon to do it. People talk about how stats don’t matter in velious but they do unless you’re hardcore raiding and in that case you’ve already kinda won.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Prioritizing dexterity on a SK is very narrow sighted and hinges on one specific weapon you may or may not ever see ... and a weapon in several ways outclassed by ToV drops. 15-20 more dex under the cap works out to 0.1-0.13 more procs per minute of below 255 dex on a proc that lasts 5 ticks.

190 vs 210 dex (or 150 vs 170) on an epic sk (30sec duration proc tap) will be nearly imperceptible. By the time you have epic you’ll be rolling around with shamans who can stack dex/focus to the tune of +130 your unbuffed.

Dex isn’t a bad choice but to make your decisions at level 1 solely on one weapon in the game and insisting it’s the best choice is giggle worthy. Especially when there are racial choices that at 60 give you permanent uptime healing regen 1/5 the potency of this weapon proc.

As has been pointed out, as long as you have 75 base agility you can dump your points into anything but cha/wisdom and not have made a mistake.
But slapping points into stats I am guaranteed to cap later isn't narrow sighted?
By the rate you sit on 255str/sta in Velious, those starting skill points might as well have gone to charisma then.

Racial choices aren't a thing. If your class can pick Ogre, pick Ogre. Unless cosmetics or whatever are priority, then do whatever. /burp
Old 11-18-2019, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But slapping points into stats I am guaranteed to cap later isn't narrow sighted?
By the rate you sit on 255str/sta in Velious, those starting skill points might as well have gone to charisma then.

Racial choices aren't a thing. If your class can pick Ogre, pick Ogre. Unless cosmetics or whatever are priority, then do whatever. /burp
FSI isn’t that great anymore after the latest patch.

Infinite troll regen > FSI 2.0
Old 11-18-2019, 02:35 PM
Kobold

FSI on a shadowknight has saved my life more times than i can count by allowing my FD to go uninterrupted in a swarm.
Closed Thread