Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 05-30-2022, 03:25 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenloar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While I too would want to see more expansions like SoL, PoP, LDoN LoY and such... I dont think the majority would want that? But did anyone stop and think maybe the legal agreement that was made woudn't allow them to go beyond Velious?
People labor under this myth that there's leagal agreement that maybe there is but it can't be enforced. Years ago Sony and Lucas lost the court case over Star Wars Galaxies. In essence the ruling was that they sold us the right to use the server software when they sold us the client. As long as they're not making money off of it by charging us a monthly fee they can run whatever they want of the original content and Sony or daybreak or whatever they call themselves now can't do anything about it legally and there is no reason to have an agreement.

I donated heavily to the legal fund to fight that case feel free to Google it.
Old 05-30-2022, 03:26 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenloar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While I too would want to see more expansions like SoL, PoP, LDoN LoY and such... I dont think the majority would want that? But did anyone stop and think maybe the legal agreement that was made woudn't allow them to go beyond Velious?
People labor under this myth that there's legal agreement qnd maybe there is but it can't be enforced. Years ago Sony and Lucas lost the court case over Star Wars Galaxies. In essence the ruling was that they sold us the right to use the server software when they sold us the client. As long as they're not making money off of it by charging us a monthly fee they can run whatever they want of the original content and Sony or daybreak or whatever they call themselves now can't do anything about it legally and there is no reason to have an agreement.

Old 05-30-2022, 05:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankara99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The people demand justice, they demand the Snake Temple and Fungus grove.
yeah sure, after the merge
Mitic - Green - Dial a Port (yes, porting is more fun than raid-rotations) - 2020
Old 05-30-2022, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankara99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The people demand justice, they demand the Snake Temple and Fungus grove.
"The people" are more than welcome to code Luclin themselves.

(And, in all honesty, if someone did take the time to make a truly accurate Luclin expansion, I'd be a little surprised if the P99 team wouldn't be willing to help them turn it into a classic server, possibly even sharing precious code and database secrets. R&N may hate Luclin, but they also love accurately recreating EQ on emulated servers.)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikail [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is that a joke? I don't really want Luclin or anything but this is the most custom server I've ever seen the only thing classic about it is the name.
Haha no it's not.

"Classic" doesn't mean "perfect iso copy of the server I played on in 1999". Classic EQ mechanics are hard to define objectively, and it's not helped by the fact they have to work around the titanium client here. They still do a very good job.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:03 PM
Fire Giant

Literally just play TAKP. Better client and the devs are still active on the project, unlike p99
Old 05-30-2022, 07:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikail [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People labor under this myth that there's leagal agreement that maybe there is but it can't be enforced. Years ago Sony and Lucas lost the court case over Star Wars Galaxies. In essence the ruling was that they sold us the right to use the server software when they sold us the client. As long as they're not making money off of it by charging us a monthly fee they can run whatever they want of the original content and Sony or daybreak or whatever they call themselves now can't do anything about it legally and there is no reason to have an agreement.

The staff said there’s some sort of agreement but have never given specifics on it.

Wasn’t the ruling in that case about the literal server and client software and not the actual game IP?
Old 05-30-2022, 07:23 PM
Banned

The legality issue I would assume has more to do with how much more money and power Sony has. Somebody somewhere understood that this project exists purely out of love for their game, so for a company that big it's just really bad PR to shut down something like this.

Could be totally wrong but that was always the vibe I got after the whole daybreak acquisition thing.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:06 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Literally just play TAKP. Better client and the devs are still active on the project, unlike p99
This. Except the general majority of the player base here doesn't actually want classic. "You think you do, but you don't" type of thing.

For example: Take away mouse wheel scrolling and watch how many people bitch and cry ad nauseam
Old 05-31-2022, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The main reasons people hate SoL is because of the graphics upgrade combined with their declining interest resulting in their eventual evacuation to WoW. I think that launched during OoW? I know that seems like a long time after but remember how quickly they chucked out Xpacs back then. I personally recall quitting EQ and just reading books until WoW came out. That was also the last time I read a book. I mean I enjoyed Mercedes Lackey's books but there's only so much time one can dedicate to entertainment and apparently Disney's dogshit is more important to me. Alright, I don't have an excuse for that one.

Anyway, SoL isn't much different from the rest of the game. It's PoP that heavily changes the game with the effective removal of druids/wizards via teleport books in every other zone, but SoL did add KeI and SoE I believe. Big mistakes, but ones that were exacerbated heavily by the PoP books resulting in easy access buff-hubs for 3 hour long remote powerlevels. Without PoP the buffs are still OP but there's not a literal economy based around buffing people. Also that could be removed by the anti-classic inability to group buff low levels. Which I'd be for. Just saying.

I'd enjoy it, but it's their emu so I can hardly complain about what the people want.
I mean Luclin basically did something very similar to PoK, PoK just made it instant teleports instead of having to wait at a wizard spire for a periodic teleport. But it still made Druids and Wizard ports mostly obsolete. The Bazaar was also a terrible addition. Plus Paludal Caverns making every other newbie zone obsolete.

I would be open to the addition of SoL AAs and PoP raids, but beyond that those two expansions sucked.