Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 05-31-2022, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The legality issue I would assume has more to do with how much more money and power Sony has. Somebody somewhere understood that this project exists purely out of love for their game, so for a company that big it's just really bad PR to shut down something like this.

Could be totally wrong but that was always the vibe I got after the whole daybreak acquisition thing.
I mean yeah definitely. It's a cost benefit analysis. The amount of people playing on P99 isn't going to make a material impact on your revenue if you're Daybreak (or whoever now acquired Daybreak). So it's bad PR for little benefit, and there's always the chance that P99 introduces someone to/back into EQ and makes them go try the TLPs so you get customers you maybe otherwise wouldn't have gotten (so free advertising basically).

Would be interesting to see what would happen if P99 suddenly got like several thousand people playing. I think you'd suddenly see the EQ owners being a lot less willing to allow P99 to exist. It's their IP so they could easily shut this down unless they signed a legal agreement saying they never would no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graahle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This. Except the general majority of the player base here doesn't actually want classic. "You think you do, but you don't" type of thing.

For example: Take away mouse wheel scrolling and watch how many people bitch and cry ad nauseam
Meh don't think people would really complain. You can essentially get the same affect as mouse wheel scrolling by using some view keys: take the view from behind your character and use keys to zoom out and tilt the camera up or down and boom there you go. And I believe this was doable in classic too, people just didn't because up to that point you didn't really have these third person view games, most were first person, so people just didn't think to do it.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:12 PM
Banned

I will admit that if the client was locked to 1024x768 max res with no widescreen option (even though titanium widescreen just chops the top and bottom off and there's like no vertical realestate, I can pretend) I'd be pretty bummed, even though it would certainly be classic.

Not many things like that for me though, classic 4 lyfe
Old 05-31-2022, 06:37 PM
Sarnak

Join TAK if you want Luclin etc. Otherwise NO!
Old 06-01-2022, 07:15 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean Luclin basically did something very similar to PoK, PoK just made it instant teleports instead of having to wait at a wizard spire for a periodic teleport. But it still made Druids and Wizard ports mostly obsolete. The Bazaar was also a terrible addition. Plus Paludal Caverns making every other newbie zone obsolete.

I would be open to the addition of SoL AAs and PoP raids, but beyond that those two expansions sucked.
Dru/Wiz were technically obsolete as soon as PoH/S became obsolete due to the classes being trash, but the convenience of PoP outperformed Dial-A-Port and the Nexus by an amount indescribable by human language.

I mentioned Bazaar in my edit which you didn't see because I immediately removed it due to not wanting to start a flamefest but frankly the Bazaar was an irrelevant non-problem. It's for the people who are really into NFTs and think being a gypsy is important to their life. For everyone else (99.99% of humans) they just want to sell the shit they happened to collect. They can still auction if they want to. The Bazaar centralized something that was otherwise decentralized and offered people who didn't want to haggle prices a way to not haggle prices. Any complaints are subjective.

I'm not sure PC is worth mentioning. It's a typical anomoly, if that makes any sense. Should Crushbone or Unrest be nerfed? Eh. Aren't they all OPAF? You can PL the shit out of someone in Uguk. Shouldn't it be nerfed? Many zones are OP. I can't attest to the quality of SoL because my computer was shit. I liked PoP though. If surface level evaluations of the xpacs are all we're doing then I guess that's it. I liked it.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:08 AM
Sarnak

Great post. Bazaar is great; tunnel quest was never good.
Old 06-02-2022, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dru/Wiz were technically obsolete as soon as PoH/S became obsolete due to the classes being trash, but the convenience of PoP outperformed Dial-A-Port and the Nexus by an amount indescribable by human language.

I mentioned Bazaar in my edit which you didn't see because I immediately removed it due to not wanting to start a flamefest but frankly the Bazaar was an irrelevant non-problem. It's for the people who are really into NFTs and think being a gypsy is important to their life. For everyone else (99.99% of humans) they just want to sell the shit they happened to collect. They can still auction if they want to. The Bazaar centralized something that was otherwise decentralized and offered people who didn't want to haggle prices a way to not haggle prices. Any complaints are subjective.

I'm not sure PC is worth mentioning. It's a typical anomoly, if that makes any sense. Should Crushbone or Unrest be nerfed? Eh. Aren't they all OPAF? You can PL the shit out of someone in Uguk. Shouldn't it be nerfed? Many zones are OP. I can't attest to the quality of SoL because my computer was shit. I liked PoP though. If surface level evaluations of the xpacs are all we're doing then I guess that's it. I liked it.
None of those zones are anywhere analogous to PC. PC you can basically PL yourself to like level 20; it's the antithesis of EQ. Sure, you can get PLed through those levels elsewhere, but you have to get someone to do it; you have to interact with people.

Bazaar is shitty because progression in EQ is usually about sacrificing progression in some other aspect of the game (at least pre-60). Sure, there are some camps that are good for XP and plat at the same time, but not a massive amount. So you want to sell that loot you have for max value? Then go sit there and auction it; or if you don't want to spend much time selling then sell it as a discount and get out of there as quick as you can and get back to XPing. I liked that a lot of the time classic EQ required you to make choices about what you wanted to prioritize in the game that day. The other thing I didn't like about the Bazaar was the removal of player created auction hubs; it was awesome how people on different servers just organically created a hub (commonly EC, but sometimes GFay, NFP, etc.). I like that sort of world shaping choice being made by players, not designers who decided "here's a centralized auction zone for everyone that can be reached super easily with little effort by the player."

PoK was one of the worst things to happen to the game (I think the Nexus was terrible also). One of the things that makes classic EQ feel more immersive is the feeling of the world being large. The smaller you make the world feel via PoK and the Nexus, the less fun and immersive the world becomes.
Old 06-02-2022, 03:59 PM
Banned

^^this guy gets it
Old 06-03-2022, 07:00 AM
Orc

Luclin was the beginning of the end of what made EQ great, like cd288 said the bazaar killed the tunnel, PC was stupid, AA turned a long grind into an infinite one.

PoK in PoP destroyed the world, where you can just click to travel instead of running somewhere or calling in a ride - that you still had to run to the spires / ring to meet your uber.

Just awful all around, and the people clamoring for it here can get bent and play TLP.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:56 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThonDaMan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just awful all around, and the people clamoring for it here can get bent and play TLP.
Couldn't have said it better myself. People need to accept P99 for what it is and quit suggesting stupid shit, along with every jackass that suggests that moving to the Red server will cure all of your ailments.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhadree J'Hadaan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Couldn't have said it better myself. People need to accept P99 for what it is and quit suggesting stupid shit, along with every jackass that suggests that moving to the Red server will cure all of your ailments.
Consider handing in book of discord on TAKP

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung