Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:02 PM
Skeleton

Default Raster of Guk

TL;DR Got the Idol from Raster this morning. Read on for the unlikely story of how I got my first piece of the epic.

Like many here, I don’t have very much EQ time these days, but I’ve spent the past couple months camped in Guk in and around the Elder room XPing from the minos in the area and holding down the Raster camp when I find it open for a spawn or two when time (or the wife) allows. I woke up earlier than usual this morning (thanks 3:58 am garbage truck in the alley), so I sat down at the comp to sneak in a little EQ time before the kid would wake up and we would officially start the day.

I logged into the hall near the Elder room that leads to the Evil Eye, and proceeded to clear my way into the Raster room and kill the PH. Was a full pop. No FD monk laying there camping Raster. Score. 28 minutes later the room started to repop, and the kid was still asleep. I’m thinking “This is it!” Just had that feeling. Pop! A Greater Minotaur.

Lame.

After clearing the next round of repops I realized that the 10am spawn time of the Raster PH could be dangerously close to a mino repop near there. “It would figure that when I finally get Raster to spawn I end up with an add during the fight” I thought to myself, but didn’t take any initiative to move away from the spawn to pull Raster or the PH from the alcove and around the corner towards the Wans… No. I just sat there.

Stupid.

Now, before I go further it is worth mentioning that my monk is lvl 43. I’ve got an FBSS, stave of shielding, adamantite club, and a fungi on loan from a friend, but seeing as I’d never even seen Raster, I don’t know if that is a fight that I can win even with the twinkage. I had a feeling it would be a tall order, and I would soon find out… Pop! Raster of Guk. In the brief moment of disbelief as to what I was seeing on the screen, Raster took the first shots. 88, 88, 17. Ouch. As we meleed away, it wasn’t long before I realized how one-sided this fight was, and not in my favor. I hit mend when I was at 60% life, while Raster was in the mid 80’s. Not good. Heart sinks a bit. Realizing I very well may have to FD and hope I can get some help, I carried on praying the RNG would tip my way. It did. Round after round of miss, miss, miss, miss, as I dodged and blocked the punches and kicks, beating Rasters face in. I’ve never had such a close fight, and just before I was forced to hit FD to concede victory with 18% life, Raster turned to flee with 14% life remaining.

Holy shit.

Following behind him with thoughts of “OMG, can’t believe I got this!”, I notice a tall figure that has taken my life from 18% to 14%. The repop that I was afraid of had arrived at THE. WORST. POSSIBLE. TIME. As I dropped to the ground to avoid a certain death at 4% life, Raster was slowly walking away with 8% life remaining. Heart sank further. OOC – my only hope. “Could use help with Raster of Guk. Had him running but had to FD due to repop. He’s at 8% life.” I pleaded.

59 shaman sends you a tell “I’ll help. On my way there now.” YES!!! As I lay there and watch Raster slowly walking back to his spawn point, I see a monk laying on the floor near the entrance of the room, translucent shirukens radiating from his fist. I nervously hope that he’s here to help, and as he pops up and runs over to Raster and engages him without a word, I send him a tell. “Are you helping me or killing him for you?” “Killing” he replied. My heart implodes as Rasters corpse falls to the floor. The friendly shaman arrives and sees the monk dropping Raster. He tosses me a heal as I lay bleeding on the floor. “That’s not very nice at all…” I tell the monk, as he’s finishing off the minotaur that had ended my fight with Raster. “The monk took Raster” I tell the Shaman, who responds, “Is he really doing that?” as the monk knelt on the corpse of Raster.

Now, at this point, I don’t know the exact reasons for what transpired next, and I won’t venture to guess. “Ok you can loot” said the monk. “YES!!!!” though I didn’t have much confidence that he would ACTUALLY let me loot the Idol, as he remained silently kneeling on the corpse. “Thank you" I said, with a “grats” from the shaman, and other light banter as I nervously awaited the next move from the monk. As he stood, I knelt over the corpse of Raster and looted the idol.

My time was up at that point, so I ran back to the tunnel that I logged in from to log off, and said my final thank you to the friendly shaman for the assistance and for being there, and if you’re reading this, THANK YOU again, Friendly Shaman, and THANK YOU as well to the monk who ultimately made a classy move and forfeited the idol when he didn’t have to. Made my day J

-Tettnang
Old 05-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Orc

Raster is a bastard. Grats on getting it. Now do it a couple more times [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The first time he spawned for me was after a ~ 6 hour camp. I didn't realize it had spawned until 7am in-game time and as everyone who has ever camped raster knows, he despawns at 8am. I engaged him and was doing good killing him, but at 30% the clock struck 8am and he magically disappeared - while engaged. He didn't respawn for me for another 4 hours.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:15 PM
Sarnak

Grats! Never played a monk but enjoyed the read [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So is that the biggest bottleneck for monk epic?
Old 05-13-2015, 02:10 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty405 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So is that the biggest bottleneck for monk epic?
If you can't get a few people to help you kill Brother Qwinn or Brother Zephyl, then you have to do Raster because the Idol can not be MQ'd.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Fire Giant

Congratulations. There are alot of very cool people on the server.

Yes Raster is an evil evil camp for monks.As posted above alot of monks now on the server will just kill Brother Zephyl for the robe since its easier than the camps you have to do in Sol B and L Guk. Once watched an enchanter charm Targin for about 5hrs in my group.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Aviak

10/10 story telling.. would read another... reminds me of casterealm skaterrgnome stories
Old 05-13-2015, 03:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suwu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
10/10 story telling.. would read another... reminds me of casterealm skaterrgnome stories
Yah very much. Good story.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Fire Giant

Great story and well-told. I'm feeling a little Raster-induced PTSD [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

For those non-monks out there, Raster can be a bastard. It took me 36 hours of off-and-on camping to get him to pop. And finally when he turned to flee, he wandered into a mess of other mobs, hungry for pre-tenderized leeeeezard. I looted the idol from his corpse as the coup de grace de ganggank was landing on me and died with the idol on my cursor. I was certain it had poofed. (Fortunately, after a generous rez, I found it in my inventory.)

For every Raster camp that doesn't end with, "I went in, he was up, I didn't get hit once, looted, and that's that", there's a similar story of ugh.

Cloki - Lead Hippie, OMNI
Old 05-13-2015, 08:09 PM
Kobold

I spent about 80 of 96 consecutive hours camping Raster when I was in high school, back on live 15 years ago. His truly is legendarily awful camp. Congratulations on the Idol, and respect for questing your Robe of the Lost Circle. I don't care if someone kills a Brother for their second robe, but the first should be quested. Just my opinion.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Planar Protector

Would not read again from the OP. Too long. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Like a 3 of 10. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I am old, Jesus make it a bit shorter, well hell, a LOT shorter.
Closed Thread