Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-09-2022, 12:42 AM
Aviak

Darn I double posted, anyway... editing this one to remove some duplicate info.
Last edited by Hyperbase-1999; 05-09-2022 at 12:54 AM..
Old 05-09-2022, 01:10 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperbase-1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, just realised i missed out a couple of steps.

1. Remove the zone info from the setup.exe file in your downloads dir by right clicking and goto properties and uncheck that box, it's pretty much there to say the file came from the internet so might be suss, once unchecked you are good to go. (i.e. what McCoy said.)

Just went through the process with Win11 and its up and running for me.
2. Install the cert to trusted root cert authority, it's not changing anytime soon so you probably wont have to repeat this step. Right click the setup.exe and go to the "digital certs" tab, select the cert in the window below and click details. Click on the "view certificate" button and then "install certificate", when prompted select "local machine" and save to the "trusted root certificate authority".
At one point I feel like I saw the box to unblock it, but it doesn't even show up anymore. I also did the gpedit to not preserve zone information. I'm running Windows 10, but I think I did the equivalent of what you're saying for installing a Trusted Root Certification Authorities and even though it says it successfully imports the certificate, it doesn't actually fix anything for me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, it seems the GINA website is just down right now [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Thanks for trying to help but it seems I'm just not meant to be able to use it and play anymore maybe. I may not have the most legitimate version of Windows so I suspect maybe that might have something to do with it but idk.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:11 AM
Skeleton

You don't need to be messing with certificates or registry keys, just go to your date & time settings, disable "set time automatically", manually change the year to 2017 or something like that (the certificate expired around 2019 I think? not sure), install GINA, and the re-enable set time automatically.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:25 AM
Aviak

I just checked the site, and as you mentioned it's down so i assume the .net clickonce installer had the source pointing to the site.

If you have a prompt and it mentions "your security settings do not allow this application to be installed on your computer" then that's the certificate for the setup, try the process to install the cert again but try and store it in "trusted publishers", looked fine for me in the root but maybe i missed something. (And then re-run the setup.)

If you can post the error message back i'll run a check tomorrow, if the site isn't back up maybe i'll repack the files or something.

If you do not want to play EQ then that's fine, you won and broke the cycle!
Old 05-09-2022, 03:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corso [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You don't need to be messing with certificates or registry keys, just go to your date & time settings, disable "set time automatically", manually change the year to 2017 or something like that (the certificate expired around 2019 I think? not sure), install GINA, and the re-enable set time automatically.
Yeah, changing the clock works! Thanks all.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:26 AM
Large Rat

I just resolved this issue on a Win 10 machine in a different way than posted above.

For me the installation went to this folder: C:\Users\PowerMain\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\
(Replace the PowerMain with your username)
I then searched that for .exe files and it found the actual gina.exe
There you right click gina.exe, properties, and unblock. This instantly fixed it for me.

The issue is the Start Menu file is pointing to a reference file, tthat reference file then points to the exe.