Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 11:14 AM
Planar Protector

So first off, if you just want to level up, Manakim has a very simple/correct answer: forget about groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manakim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
why would you want groups when you can quad? =P
But if you want loot, ie. if you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wanted to be able to get into dungeon groups, for everything from doing the Staff of Temperate Flux quest (which require SolA and Perma) to getting gear out of Sebilis one day in a group
Then this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm just sadly not that good at networking.
has nothing to do with it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Putting together groups in dungeons works like this:
  1. /ooc cc
  2. see what camps are free
  3. /who lfg
  4. see who is available to group
  5. if no one is LFG, try again later, but hopefully there will be several different classes LFG (and at normal hours, in popular dungeons like Sebilis or The Hole, this will tend to be the case)
  6. start sending tells to the LFG people: "hey I'm starting a ____ camp group, want to join?"
  7. if you are missing a key class (eg. there are LFG people, but no tanks or no clerics), do a
    Code:
    /who all class lfg startOfLevelRange endOfLevelRange
    ... eg.
    Code:
    /who all cleric lfg 50 60
  8. send those people tells until one agrees to join ("hey want a ____ camp group in ____ zone?"); ask people in zones with druid/wizard rings first, as they can likely get a port quickly
  9. if you still can't find one key class, ask the rest of your group if they know anyone of that class (eg. in their guild) who is LFG
  10. go kill stuff with your new group (no actual "networking" required); if you're still missing a key class, try and do the camp without them (slowly) while you wait for someone to show up on /who

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-08-2021 at 11:19 AM..
Old 04-08-2021, 11:41 AM
Fire Giant

Anybody who is gonna keep you out of a typical public group cause of your class, deserves to be put on your ignore list immediately, then shared with the community here on the forums..

In fact, playing with classes that let you utilize your own class skills more is always awesome.. Love playing my necro with a wonky group setup man.. love it...
Old 04-08-2021, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So
  1. good advice
When forming groups, I'd forget about searching LFG, just search for players in the level range of each role you want to fill. Often people will be flagged LFG, but aren't really lfg. Very often people will be open to getting something fun started up, even if they aren't LFG.

I feel you often get better players if you invite people who aren't flagged LFG. Someone who has flagged LFG then sat somewhere doing nothing is likely not to be in the mood for pro-active play.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When forming groups, I'd forget about searching LFG, just search for players in the level range of each role you want to fill. Often people will be flagged LFG, but aren't really lfg. Very often people will be open to getting something fun started up, even if they aren't LFG.

I feel you often get better players if you invite people who aren't flagged LFG. Someone who has flagged LFG then sat somewhere doing nothing is likely not to be in the mood for pro-active play.
This. I’d also search for the key roles first rather than finding random people in the dungeon and then asking them to wait while you try to find a tank or cleric (potentially from across the world). People are way more likely to join and fill out a group if you already have at least like the tank role filled
Old 04-08-2021, 03:28 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The stamina mechanics don't work on this server

That's why you see preference for melees.
I had never though about how this would screw over the wizard. It makes sense that their burst dps would be important once your melee dps burned their stamina load. What would happen when they ran out of stamina? Would they be unable to swing weapons all together?
Old 04-08-2021, 03:54 PM
Fire Giant

My wizard can solo farm all kinds of stuff, plat included, and was even the best solo'er I tried for the Ring 8 war (and not the BEST but easily able to solo all the other 7 rings). Wizards rule
Old 04-08-2021, 05:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You probably don’t want to try gank a bard’s train - they have tricks they can use to punish you for that and it just sounds like a potential headache in the making for all parties - and the staff.

I was more thinking of legitimately forming a group. When you do the xp will fly. Unfortunately many bards aren’t too in to it as they are often selling a PL service and they worry about you slowing down the client’s xp, demanding payment, wiping, etc.
Oh, I read that wrong. I thought you were saying that it's legal for a wizard to shoot some of a bard's mobs when they're taking up 30+ of them in a zone or something.

But yup I doubt a bard would want to group in that situation, though I can see why a wizard would be useful there. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From a min/max perspective you're on everyone's shit list if not at the bottom.
There is a stereotype that wizards in groups just burn there mana and then go afk,thus resentment builds in the group. Make a good name for yourself and build up a good rep, Everquest is a social game, communicate and make friends/guildies. finish off casting mobs, when a bad pull happens, show them your value and pew pew! use your stun in a timely manner, root when roots are needed, understand nuking a mob right away is bad. Get a flux staff for dangerous aggro situations, I would snare kite plane of sky mobs with my flux staff as we would drop mobs that way a lot of the times. Offer ports to group members whenever they are in need. Luckily when I was playing Project 1999 blue I had a guild and friends who snagged me for AE chardok and skyfire (you memba?) so that natural mid 50's bottleneck on a wizard wasn't so bad.

At some point if you REALLY want to be in dungeons that bad in regards to pick up groups (assuming you don't have a guild and or friends that would make this a mute point), make a alt that's more group friendly, but let me tell you, once I got past the stupid leveling and was raiding, overall I really enjoyed maining a raid wizard.
I appreciate the advice. I do genuinely struggle with the social part of the game, being a huge introvert with anxiety and depression issues and all, but I keep trying, and I do hope to one day be one of those guys running to a dungeon to meet friends. I've always been in awe of those people who get to run somewhere as a group where I'm sitting in a corner somewhere trying to eke out solo exp.

But that said I'm just trying to embrace the class I really want to identify with, even if there's a stigma against it. I've tried to like other classes and they just don't stick. But I do worry about all the quests and gear drops for wizards that do involve dungeons. An alt wouldn't really help me there. I'm going to have to get hearts out of Perma and SolA at some point, I am going to have to get rods out of all the tough to reach places eventually, etc etc. That's also ignoring the part that I really just want to see dungeons; I still don't know much about the ones that aren't Blackburrow and Crushbone to this day, because I never had friends to experience them with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manakim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
why would you want groups when you can quad? =P i barely grouped on my wizard back then, and i'm 53 right now here on p99 on my wizard alt. You don't really need a group, and that's the beauty of it.
I still want to make friends, do dungeons, and one day see raids. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The stamina mechanics don't work on this server

That's why you see preference for melees

People complained about it and they removed it, classic or not. Lots of things are like that tho. Many things are decided by terrible everquest players here.
I honestly forgot about that. I also don't really remember stamina being a big deal even Live back in the day, where I mained a rogue at one point and a monk toward the end when I quit. Maybe it was there and I just never noticed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Putting together groups in dungeons works like this:
  1. /ooc cc
  2. see what camps are free
  3. /who lfg
  4. see who is available to group
  5. if no one is LFG, try again later, but hopefully there will be several different classes LFG (and at normal hours, in popular dungeons like Sebilis or The Hole, this will tend to be the case)
  6. start sending tells to the LFG people: "hey I'm starting a ____ camp group, want to join?"
  7. if you are missing a key class (eg. there are LFG people, but no tanks or no clerics), do a
    Code:
    /who all class lfg startOfLevelRange endOfLevelRange
    ... eg.
    Code:
    /who all cleric lfg 50 60
  8. send those people tells until one agrees to join ("hey want a ____ camp group in ____ zone?"); ask people in zones with druid/wizard rings first, as they can likely get a port quickly
  9. if you still can't find one key class, ask the rest of your group if they know anyone of that class (eg. in their guild) who is LFG
  10. go kill stuff with your new group (no actual "networking" required); if you're still missing a key class, try and do the camp without them (slowly) while you wait for someone to show up on /who
I appreciate that. That's the sort of advice and guide I needed. Thanks very much. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anybody who is gonna keep you out of a typical public group cause of your class, deserves to be put on your ignore list immediately, then shared with the community here on the forums..

In fact, playing with classes that let you utilize your own class skills more is always awesome.. Love playing my necro with a wonky group setup man.. love it...
I've heard of necros playing as main healers and mages playing as tanks (with their pets) before. It's always fun to improvise when you can.

Quote:

I'll admit that this was me plenty of times. I'd put up LFG, then finally get a response like 30 minutes before I have to go to bed, forgetting I put that up the entire time, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This. I’d also search for the key roles first rather than finding random people in the dungeon and then asking them to wait while you try to find a tank or cleric (potentially from across the world). People are way more likely to join and fill out a group if you already have at least like the tank role filled
That, and being able to port them to and back from the spot we want to group at will be a big selling point too. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodyLich666 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had never though about how this would screw over the wizard. It makes sense that their burst dps would be important once your melee dps burned their stamina load. What would happen when they ran out of stamina? Would they be unable to swing weapons all together?
Wondering about that as well, I don't remember stamina ever making that big of an impact. Maybe if you're a warrior in full plate swinging a Wurmslayer or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlycupcakez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My wizard can solo farm all kinds of stuff, plat included, and was even the best solo'er I tried for the Ring 8 war (and not the BEST but easily able to solo all the other 7 rings). Wizards rule
The ability to do stuff on my own (even if it's not as much as a necro or enchanter) is definitely a selling point, and I figure on the most "bleh" days I could just spend time giving people ports. But it more boils down to the fact that, in Final Fantasy terms, I want to play the black mage, not the summoner. That's all it really is and why I had a hard time with necro and magician.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:47 PM
Planar Protector

Never had a problem finding groups on my wizard when I wanted them. Stun, root and snare are all powerful tools in any dungeon group and being able to blow up a mob in a second comes in handy. Not to mention evacs for when your group gets trained.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never had a problem finding groups on my wizard when I wanted them. Stun, root and snare are all powerful tools in any dungeon group and being able to blow up a mob in a second comes in handy. Not to mention evacs for when your group gets trained.
i actually did, hence the fears and worries about the class that I have. This was early on in Green though and I got as high as 24, entirely on my own because no one wanted me in their groups. I even spent a whole day running across the world trying to get into them. Unrest, then Mistmoore, then Upper Guk, then SolA, then Perma, etc etc...

It was very depressing, lol.

Ideally all of those tools would be very powerful to a group but in practice it just doesn't feel that way I suppose. At least not enough to justify my spot over, say, an enchanter or a shaman.
Last edited by tadkins; 04-08-2021 at 11:00 PM..
Old 04-08-2021, 11:45 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
The breaking point was when someone told me that no one's going to even want my ports later because I can't send them on their way with a SoW like a druid can.
I've never played a wizard, but I have a really hard time believing no one wants a port from a wizard. I think a lot of people have jboots, so not getting sow from your porter wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is joining a guild and making yourself seen as much as possible. I remember a wizard on blue who would almost always drop what she was doing to port guildies. She was nice enough, but the main thing was that people saw her almost every day and that she was more than willing to port whoever needed it.

IMO if you take what others have said about playing a wizard in a group, plus joining and becoming a regular in a guild you won't have too many issues finding people to group with.
Closed Thread