Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Aviak

Default Does armor type affect damage mitigation?

Someone told me that armor type (i.e., cloth v leather v chain v plate) can affect damage mitigation even when AC is constant. So for example, a Black Enameled Chestplate would mitigate more damage than a Tree Weave even though both have 25 AC.

My immediate impression was that this was just some sort of EQ urban legend, but I thought I'd check to see if there was any truth to it. I do recall hearing somewhere that cloth v leather v chain v plate CLASSES have different damage mitigation even when they have the same overall AC, but I had never heard that two items having the same AC would have different damage mitigation values.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Planar Protector

Its a urban legend. Game doesnt look at type of armor just the ac of it.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiggity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone told me that armor type (i.e., cloth v leather v chain v plate) can affect damage mitigation even when AC is constant. So for example, a Black Enameled Chestplate would mitigate more damage than a Tree Weave even though both have 25 AC.

My immediate impression was that this was just some sort of EQ urban legend, but I thought I'd check to see if there was any truth to it. I do recall hearing somewhere that cloth v leather v chain v plate CLASSES have different damage mitigation even when they have the same overall AC, but I had never heard that two items having the same AC would have different damage mitigation values.
IIRC different classes mitigate damage differently, but I've never seen anything official or parsed to suggest armor type makes a difference.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Fire Giant

AC is AC. Different classes do mitigate differently, but that's due to varying skill caps.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Banned

Ya I remember some tin foiling about this during live. Don't even know if I ever feel like digging that up at this point.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AC is AC. Different classes do mitigate differently, but that's due to varying skill caps.
That's incorrect. There's caps and multipliers based on class (at least there was on live).
Old 09-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by koros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's incorrect. There's caps and multipliers based on class (at least there was on live).
Are you sure? The question was in regards to types of armor (i.e. leather vs. chain), which I'm 99% sure there was no variance between the armor types. AC was just a raw stat as far as I recall. Do you have any confirmed sources that state otherwise?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

I meant that as a reply to

"AC is AC. Different classes do mitigate differently, but that's due to varying skill caps."

Armor ac is the same regardless of source, it's only class that matters. A warrior will get more benefit from a 25 ac tree weave than a ranger would from a 25 ac chain bp is what I meant.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Fire Giant

In between poop socks, it'd be awesome if some people from the top guilds started parsing numbers and gave us an EQ mythbusters on things like the effectiveness of AC across different classes, wearing armor vs no armor vs a little bit of armor, how the hybrid group penalty works, and effectiveness of STR and ATK all with quantified, empirical evidence. Too much bro science floating around this game.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox7d [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
things like the effectiveness of AC across different classes,.
I can attest that Rangers named Krupts are immune from the effects of AC. Every time the mob swings it feels like getting run over by an ice cream truck.
Closed Thread