Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Fire Giant

If you don't have Clarity you will find your mana will run out a lot because you won't be sitting to med. The mana trickle from Clarity is nice, especially considering your stuns and blind are all low mana which you will be using a lot. Without the mana trickle you will be OOM a lot.

Paladin doesn't get a stun until 30, and its a very key component of the class. You don't get your second stun until 49. Until you reach 30 you will be playing Paladin with a key component missing. With your stuns you will (should) be interrupting lots of caster spells, as well as stopping running mobs etc.

Also be sure to train your Bash, it takes a while but it is another defining skill of a Paladin. (Sword and Board) You can also bash with the 2h epic.

Heal is useful and helps a lot, but you will not be the primary healer for a group. If you're creative you can heal yourself, but this requires a lot of DPS. Pal/Rogue is an awesome duo that makes self-healing possible at lower levels, especially a twink Rogue.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Planar Protector

Paladin won't get Specializations, which is a pretty substantial mana savings. From 39 to 54 or something tho their heals will heal as much as a druid/shamans.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 10-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Planar Protector

Shaman & Druid have HP regen buffs. Druid has additional HP regen via the top two buffs in the skin line, and has self-buffs that give mana regen outdoors (54+) and anywhere at L60. Shaman has fantastic mana regeneration and slows. Cleric has much superior heal efficiency even without the 5% bonus they for some reason do not receive on p99, Cleric gets better & more efficient heals including HoTs, and Cleric has very efficient group healing via Heroic Bond buff at 52+, healing is what Cleric does. All three wis casters will get 10% reduction to mana costs via specialization once the patch fixing that goes live, although I do not know whether it is as common for Shaman to specialize alteration as it is for Druid (often) or Cleric (always).

Basically, Cleric is the one and the only. A well played Shaman can be a beast solo healer depending on group and content because of slows. A Druid can do the job, especially in a smart group that plays well against the content at hand.

The Paladin is a third-rate healer, or fourth rate without mana regen buff from an Enchanter. Better than no healer at all, but honestly the Paladin belongs on his feet. Paladin is great for tanking, pulling, CC'ing via root+off-tanking, interrupting casters, stunning+taunting+healing to save the Enchanter's highly valuable ass when the Cleric is overwhelmed, LH'ing the critical groupmate who is about to die (almost always the Enchanter or Cleric), & etc.

Why try to be a third-/fourth-rate healer when you have the toolset to be a first-rate tank?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman & Druid have HP regen buffs. Druid has additional HP regen via the top two buffs in the skin line, and has self-buffs that give mana regen outdoors (54+) and anywhere at L60. Shaman has fantastic mana regeneration and slows. Cleric has much superior heal efficiency even without the 5% bonus they for some reason do not receive on p99, Cleric gets better & more efficient heals including HoTs, and Cleric has very efficient group healing via Heroic Bond buff at 52+, healing is what Cleric does. All three wis casters will get 10% reduction to mana costs via specialization once the patch fixing that goes live, although I do not know whether it is as common for Shaman to specialize alteration as it is for Druid (often) or Cleric (always).

Basically, Cleric is the one and the only. A well played Shaman can be a beast solo healer depending on group and content because of slows. A Druid can do the job, especially in a smart group that plays well against the content at hand.

The Paladin is a third-rate healer, or fourth rate without mana regen buff from an Enchanter. Better than no healer at all, but honestly the Paladin belongs on his feet. Paladin is great for tanking, pulling, CC'ing via root+off-tanking, interrupting casters, stunning+taunting+healing to save the Enchanter's highly valuable ass when the Cleric is overwhelmed, LH'ing the critical groupmate who is about to die (almost always the Enchanter or Cleric), & etc.

Why try to be a third-/fourth-rate healer when you have the toolset to be a first-rate tank?
Beautifully put

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 10-08-2014, 03:48 AM
Large Bat

This is fantastic information thank you so much for the replies! I'm just asking really as I am curios is all. I understand completely that the three wis priests are the main healers and always will be and that tanks are tanks at heart. So as an example if a group has been after a healer for a while and they don't find one, can a pally step in and heal for a group as they wait for a healer to show up? Will there heals be strong enough to keep the group topped, I'm assuming they can with a clarity? Thanks again for all the replies!
Old 10-08-2014, 04:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuljin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you don't have Clarity you will find your mana will run out a lot because you won't be sitting to med. The mana trickle from Clarity is nice, especially considering your stuns and blind are all low mana which you will be using a lot. Without the mana trickle you will be OOM a lot..
You're ignoring that he is asking if he can play his pal as a cleric in a pinch which means in this situation he would be sitting.

Obviously anyone will struggle being a healer AND a tank at the same time!
Old 10-08-2014, 05:22 AM
Large Bat

Yes exactly jimjam thank you for clearing that up.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Aviak

From a comparison of per-cast heal amounts, paladins are equal to druid/shaman in raw blast heal amount from 15-18 and 39-52.

However, shamans get regeneration at 24 and druids get it at 34... so really, a paladin only heals as well as a druid or shaman for four levels. Count in the indirect healing of slow/haste from shaman or DS from druids, and it gets worse.

Now, that does depend on content as well... If you have a well-geared tank mass-pulling blues and not taking much damage, you could probably do it. A paladin and ranger working together on heals might do well enough.

Personally, I think the best way a paladin can heal is by pulling mobs off the squishies and offtanking them.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...So as an example if a group has been after a healer for a while and they don't find one, can a pally step in and heal for a group as they wait for a healer to show up? Will there heals be strong enough to keep the group topped, I'm assuming they can with a clarity?
This happened on occasion when I played my Paladin during off-peak hours. Yes, the Paladin can often maintain a group with no other healer. The group had better be willing to potentially reduce pull rate (and/or move to a safer place) to compensate for the weaker healing capacity. Sometimes you'll have someone else who can tank (Monks are quite common), or occasionally you'll have to tank and self-heal. Nobody asks for this sort of situation, but sometimes you can't find the classes your group needs so you make do with what you have. Reduced kill rates are better than sitting around doing nothing.

In raids it isn't unheard of for Paladins to be asked to heal groups of lower priority characters or folks who don't get hit much. A set of +WIS gear can be nice to have if you find yourself doing this with some frequency.

Danth
Old 10-09-2014, 05:12 AM
Large Bat

Awesome Danth I think that was exactly what I wanted to know. So I guess it is possible then! I will make sure to have some wis pieces on me then. Thank you for the reply.
Closed Thread