Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 11:19 AM
Fire Giant

Had emergency surgery the same day. They Installed titanium plates and a handful of screws on both sides to stabilize the broken bones. I go back for a checkup and to remove stiches in two weeks, then again in 6 weeks to check the progress.

Current pain levels aren't too bad as long as I don't move it weird. They kept me overnight in the hospital to make sure nothing wacky happened after surgery but sent me home the next day. now i'm on the couch in an oxycodone induced haze.

What i find strange is that they aren't going to put it in a cast, or even a removable brace. They say the plates are going to keep the broken bones in place, but they want the ankle to stay free and moveable so it doesn't stiffen. Still need to keep weight off it for the next 6-8 weeks, but also need to make sure I exercise the joint. Hoping that's a good thing as far as recovery and long term impact goes.

This is my first experience with evil european socialized medicine, but so far so good. Insurance is going to cover the whole thing minus maybe a few hundred euro for a copay.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

What i find strange is that they aren't going to put it in a cast, or even a removable brace.
You can get like a walking boot for around ~$50 if you wanted some extra protection.

You want to see something strange google image 'open reduction external fixation'. I always thought those were weird, and they get infected way more often so I never understood why people would do it.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Hilarious that we still give people oxy before weed. Not that they have the same effects but hilarious still.

Thanks for sharing your ankle breaking experience with us.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:44 PM
Fire Giant

I'm a big fan of weed, and am definitely using it to help with this situation but to think that it would substitute for legit pain killers is false.

Weed helps with the mental aspect of it. The fact that i'm laid out for the next 2 months, I have to cancel a diving trip i had planned in a few weeks, and the reality that this could be a lifelong injury is scary and depressing. For that weed is great. But they literally drilled holes into my bones. That shit hurts for real.

I feel like the netherlands does it right though. They're way stingy with the opiates. I got enough oxycodones for about 2-3 days max to get over the initial pain of surgery, with no chance of renewing the script. After that it's only paracetamol and naproxen. If i remember right back in the states when i had my wisdom teeth out they gave me enough oxy for like a week.
Closed Thread