Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 05:19 PM
Sarnak

Good book

American Psycho is better IMO
Old 04-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Banned

Psycho is great but not as deep spiritually and I'm a faggot for spiritual depth
Old 04-12-2018, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

Never read any of this guy's stuff. Any suggestions with where to start?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Sarnak

American Psycho -- just re-read it on a business trip recently. It's just as disturbing as I remember. Reminds me a lot of lucid dreaming because you actually start to think like Patrick Bateman after a while (not act mind you). Obsessively cataloging everything you see.

It's a great book and a colossal achievement when you look at the character and the cultural impact of it. But holy shit, it's so violent, you will hope no one is looking over your shoulder reading it because they'd just as soon lock you up.

I couldn't imagine that book getting published or getting traction in today's cultural environment. Definitely Bret Easton Ellis' best book (and I've read them all).
Old 04-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACEQUEST [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stormlight archives by Brandon Sanderson is pretty good. 3 books so far. King killer chronicles is also pretty good and I think they are making a movie or TV show about it as well.
Yep really really good high fantasy nerdcuck books. Read all three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never read any of this guy's stuff. Any suggestions with where to start?
you should start with No Country for Old Men or Blood Meridian. No Country is an easier read and has less overarcing themes of spirituality. It's more like a Cohen brothers film where a bag of money gets int he wrong hands and all hell breaks loose. Very great book amazing read.

If you want to have your brain fuckled by highly metaphoric writing and a historical novel set in texas/mexico border in early 1800s replete with massacres and apache warbands fighting mexicans and american degenerates, plus tons of religious allegory done in a heart-shattering way, PLUS rape and puppy murder, Blood Meridian is for you.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep really really good high fantasy nerdcuck books. Read all three.

you should start with No Country for Old Men or Blood Meridian. No Country is an easier read and has less overarcing themes of spirituality. It's more like a Cohen brothers film where a bag of money gets int he wrong hands and all hell breaks loose. Very great book amazing read.

If you want to have your brain fuckled by highly metaphoric writing and a historical novel set in texas/mexico border in early 1800s replete with massacres and apache warbands fighting mexicans and american degenerates, plus tons of religious allegory done in a heart-shattering way, PLUS rape and puppy murder, Blood Meridian is for you.
Gonna start with blood meridian. Thanks bud

God bless
Old 04-12-2018, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's this scene in Blood Meridian, where, for the past 3 chapters, he's been using tiny sentences and curt language. THen suddenly an Apache warband pops up from the side of horses and it's one sentence that goes the whole page and just fucks your brain in the best way.
Easily my favorite sentence in fiction.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Planar Protector

Also, if you dig having your mind fucked by McCarthy, try on this essay from almost exactly one year ago. It's basically McCarthy channeling Jung:

http://nautil.us/issue/47/consciousn...-kekul-problem
Old 04-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Banned

Thanks for the link Barkingturtle! Glad you remember that sentence. I read it a few times and it still glows brilliantly for me. Excited for Patriam to get his rocks off.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Sarnak

Just started The Road, loving it so far.