Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Delete Off Topic forum?
Yes. Nuke it from orbit. 34 69.39%
No. Maybe I'll finally win. 15 30.61%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 05:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I do think that some of the stuff that is said in offtopic crosses a line though.

Honestly I would rather that forum was like snapchat so nobody could ever find out I was talking to someone who later was like "lets kill all the ______ and hitler was my hero"

Like, I get you guys, I understand, I'm a dark elf I hang out with trolls and ogres every day, but the rest of the world doesnt so I can never share this place with a lot of friends cus they be like, "uh so I was looking at the forum you said you like to hang out on, and I'm going to have to question our frendship." lol
Anyone who would shame you for posting honestly in an anonymous environment is not your friend.

People first, opinions after.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Like, I get you guys, I understand, I'm a dark elf I hang out with trolls and ogres every day, but the rest of the world doesnt so I can never share this place with a lot of friends cus they be like, "uh so I was looking at the forum you said you like to hang out on, and I'm going to have to question our frendship." lol
I get this, The forum community is actually smaller than the in game community. I've heard people in game describe how people post as almost a different way of thinking. So some users don't use the forums, they'll use other various methods of communications. And ec tunnel.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 09-30-2020 at 05:25 PM..
Old 09-30-2020, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Locc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone who would shame you for posting honestly in an anonymous environment is not your friend.

People first, opinions after.
I know and I get you but if I was joining a cult the other cult members would say the same thing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-30-2020, 05:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I get this, The forum community is actually smaller than the in game community. I've heard people in game describe how people post as almost a different way of thinking. So some users don't use the forums, they'll use other various methods of communications. And ec tunnel.
I like your ideas of 1 forum account and stuff, i just dont think lagistically its really possible for an emu, but that said they are good ideas!

Maybe if class discussion got bumped up to the top and like someone suggested (maybe you?) moving the ot/rnf to the bottom so its more hidden?

I'm not trying to make OT feel bad, it's just.... yeah, sometimes there are some things that would get some people cancelled going on in there lol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And all that said, I'm like Vidieri idc in the end, I'd rather we all got to hang out in the swamp together than not so its fine by me!
Old 09-30-2020, 06:03 PM
Planar Protector

I put some value on this forum--not much, admittedly--because it's the only window I have to witness the mindset of drug abusers and the mentally ill. I don't associate with such people out in the regular world. Browsing this forum feels at times akin to reading the thoughts of an alien civilization but there's some value I suppose in seeing how the "other side" lives.

Danth
Old 09-30-2020, 06:12 PM
Banned

I'm just utterly baffled by this weird insecurity with there being an off-topic subforum on the project1999 forums where people post things. It's literally called off-topic. I can completely understand being averse to crude, or contentless, or obviously trolling posts. The vast majority of posts here aren't that though, and I only really post in the socio-political related threads. There are tons of other threads for people to talk about like tv shows and shit. Who cares? Why advocate for this to be yet another avenue of communication that gets shut down because some dorks had their sensibilities trampled upon?

If anyone in here starts advocating for violence or making bombs or some insane shit like that, you might have a case.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:15 PM
Banned

I just have a sneaking suspicion that OP would not have made this thread if the posts he was receiving from it he agreed with.

He wouldn't have been like "Well I agree with all of this but it's not everquest related so shut it down!"
Old 09-30-2020, 06:21 PM
Planar Protector

It's not whether I agree with it. It's not a MUH FREE SPEECH moment. It's whether Off Topic results in any productive discourse. I'm still not convinced it does. Mostly just red vs blue and conspiracy theories.

I'm not "mad at words" or "offended" or "insecure." As I've said before, this OP is not a complaint. It's a criticism.

Are you guys offended by the fact I think Off Topic is not productive? Does that make you the snowflakes?

Anyway, I took back the "nuke it from orbit" thing. See my triple-post on page 4.
Last edited by Videri; 09-30-2020 at 06:26 PM..
Old 09-30-2020, 06:34 PM
Banned

Bruh,

We like to shoot shit back and forth at each other and toss jabs at each other's naiveté and or stubborn unwillingness to accept change.

I.e. we're talking.

Don't be such a douchebag; not all converse has to be "productive". People talkin', here. Don't like it? Don't join in.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

There's a legitimate problem of public perception with this forum. The thing is, people have to visit this site to play P99, so it's not possible to just avoid the forum community altogether. Twice when I tried to get friends I played with on Live to try P99 they browsed the forums and said they'd pass on account of this being a safe space for bigots and conspiracy theorists. It reflects poorly on the community. Granted I've had other pals who didn't care, but they just play solo enchanters anyway take that for what you will.

I completely understand what it's like to be an extremely online edge lord seeking male attention and camraderie on MMO forums and I do not hate you for soothing your inadequacies, but frankly it's just a bad financial decision to allow this forum to fester this way for so many years. A lot of cool and normal adults who would otherwise donate to a project like this are less inclined to do so when they feel like they're enabling.... whatever this is.

Just my 2 cents hope this doesn't get anyone in their feelings.
Closed Thread