Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 08:11 PM
Fire Giant

Default Bard charm question

"In order to receive full experience for a kill solo, you need to do more than 50% of the damage to the mob. If your pet out-damages you, it will take 50% of the experience away from the kill. This is a major change from the previous system, in which you only needed to do a single point of damage to the mob in order to get full experience. If you are grouped, you and your group will get full experience from the kill, regardless of how much damage the pet does. "

Does this apply if your pet breaks charm then you finish of the first mob, in other words do you only get 50 if your 'pet' is no longer your pet at the time the mob dying?

Do you get full exp off the wounded former pet even though we was wounded by a now dead NPC?
Old 05-19-2018, 09:17 PM
Banned

Break charm at 10% or 1% or 50%. As long as the mob isnt charmed when the mob dies, you get the exp.

You can root 4 mobs and send pet in, break charm at whatever %, kill pet and get the full exp as well.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:33 AM
Fire Giant

Cool I'm charming one, alternating with Tab and then charming the other, trying to get them both well wounded but not dead, telling pet to come back if needed, slowing both, finishing off the weakest, then I'm fear kiting the last one.

It's fucking awesome, feel powerfull killing a yellow and blue each time (because thats the mobs that happen to be around) I hope I don't get bored of it!

The charm kiting then wounds the yellow enough to make fear kiting it visble whereas normally they'd resist a lot.

Thanks for the clarifacation!
Old 05-20-2018, 08:39 AM
Planar Protector

What you're doing is exactly the right thing. Its one of the best strats for bard.

When you get very good at the juggling (anticipating the charm drop and recharming the right mob) you can use this strat indoors where there isn't enough room to just keep selos up if things go wrong.

You can also use mobs that are social to really build the pack up (like drolvargs in DL). You aggro like 5 mobs, charm one, sick the charmed on on one of the others...the rest of the pack will stop chasing you and fight the charmed mob (now 4 on 1) if you run them close enough to the charmed mob fighting.

Buy an item that lets you drop charm at any percent (goblin gazughi ring) instantly. When the charmed mob gets to less than like 8 percent drop the charm and finish him with selos and dots. If you have enough mobs in your pack you will not need to recharm the original target (the pack will get him down to 8 percent during the duration of the first charm).

Basically no down time, ever. Not much risk if you keep selos up either. Just avoid casters that will root you (this will be a quick end...).

Happy hunting bards.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Fire Giant

Not sure what level you are but if you're doing 1 v 1 use chant dots.

Charm, tab target, dot, dot, dot, charm, tab target, etc.

Edit: By tab target I don't mean regular tab target, bind a key to the "Toggle Last two Targets" in Alt+O>Keys>Target dropdown so you never have to worry about targeting mobs you're not killing.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can also use mobs that are social to really build the pack up (like drolvargs in DL). You aggro like 5 mobs, charm one, sick the charmed on on one of the others...the rest of the pack will stop chasing you and fight the charmed mob (now 4 on 1) if you run them close enough to the charmed mob fighting.
Does this actually work now? Earlier in this server's life this method of swarm-kiting was not feasible because the pack of mobs would never re-aggro a subsequent pet after the initial charm dropped, leaving the bard with no option but to zone or kite the whole pack with AoEs. The charmed pet's aggro basically belonged to the bard after the initial charm broke, which was not the case on Live, of course, or the method you've described would have never worked.

If this actually functions properly now then I guess it's time for me to finally level the bard I wanted to play when this server launched nearly a decade ago.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does this actually work now? Earlier in this server's life this method of swarm-kiting was not feasible because the pack of mobs would never re-aggro a subsequent pet after the initial charm dropped, leaving the bard with no option but to zone or kite the whole pack with AoEs. The charmed pet's aggro basically belonged to the bard after the initial charm broke, which was not the case on Live, of course, or the method you've described would have never worked.

If this actually functions properly now then I guess it's time for me to finally level the bard I wanted to play when this server launched nearly a decade ago.
I've been doing it on my bard since pre-kunark on p99...i level'd during kunark on p99 using it and used it in KC as recently as a few months ago.

It may depend by what you mean by properly. It certainly works though: when the initial charm drops the pack will come at you. The charm essentially works as a memblur (the mob retains aggro on you, but forgets about who dealt all the damage it took --- this results in anyone finishing the mob off getting full exp, which is a good way to toss some free exp to folks or PL someone especially if you are able to use the mana free charm).

The biggest issue i've had with this method is that the range for the proximity aggro seems lower than live did. I basically have to train the pack directly over the charmed mob and his melee partner to get them to stick. It certainly works though, and once you get a feel for it you can definitely work it on p99.

I mostly used it as a way to lvl solo in kunark. The places I used most were the drolvargs in DL and KC, and the bees in BW.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

So after the first charmed mob is finished off, are you then able to charm a new pet and repeat the process? When I tried it back in the early days of P99 the swarm would not aggro your new pet, would not even a reaggro a recharmed pet, and would instead continue chasing the bard. I've watched patch notes for a change but never saw it. Hoping I just missed something, as this was my favorite tactic on Live. Probably my favorite activity in any MMO I've played, actually. In any event, thanks for the info. I'm probably feeling nostalgic enough at this point to just level a bard again regardless.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So after the first charmed mob is finished off, are you then able to charm a new pet and repeat the process? When I tried it back in the early days of P99 the swarm would not aggro your new pet, would not even a reaggro a recharmed pet, and would instead continue chasing the bard. I've watched patch notes for a change but never saw it. Hoping I just missed something, as this was my favorite tactic on Live. Probably my favorite activity in any MMO I've played, actually. In any event, thanks for the info. I'm probably feeling nostalgic enough at this point to just level a bard again regardless.
Yes, you just pick a new one out from the pack or pull a new mob to add to it. You can repeat the process indefinitely if you are using the mana free charm spells (which works in the early 50s in DL on drolvargs).

Once you charm the new one and sick it on one of the pack those two will stand still and fight each other. The rest will continue to chase you. You have to run them over the melee'ing two and (if they are social and you haven't done anything else to them to add aggro directly to you) they will stop chasing you and start hitting the charmed mob.

If you are dealing with a large pack you need to be careful to always recharm the same one until you are ready to dot it to death. If you can't keep track (easy to do with target previous target button) then the formerly charmed mob will continue to chase you instead of sticking on the social aggro pair fighting.
Closed Thread