Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 07:22 PM
Planar Protector

P.S. And again, even if it only makes a 1% difference in efficiency (and I'd expect it adds a lot more than that) ... NO OTHER ITEM IN THE GAME ADDS TO CHARMING EFFICIENCY! There's no "charm focus items" or anything.

If you like charm fighting (and as a Druid it's amazing XP) you could buy a 50+k Fungi, but it would only help you a small fraction vs. how much the ring will help. Again, because I'm a weirdo and I gave Loramin's old Fungi to my Druid, I can actually speak to both.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:41 PM
Sarnak

I guess my charm spots are not ideal? I have been charming on and off for many levels are its rare for me to see my pet and the mob get down to similar levels of health. The only time I can remember it being that easy was with gators in Cazic. Bears in Perma seem to be perpetually camped so never tried them. Typically my pet and mob are way different levels of health. For example, pet will stay well above 50% health while the mob gets destroyed, so I have to break and blow mana nuking my former pet OR let him finish, keep my mana and just get half the exp. Reverse is my pet gets destroyed and I use up my mana nuking mob and then either have none to break and kill pet or pet sometimes dies (as Loramin said).
Old 05-23-2020, 07:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacman08 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess my charm spots are not ideal?
It does vary; not everywhere is as great as Cazic Thule/Permafrost. But that being said, check out the Druid set on https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide for some good ideas.

And even if the mobs aren't equal, you can still make it work and get full XP. Depending on how big the difference is you can either:
  • pick a lower-level pet, put him against a higher level mob, and throw a DoT on the higher level to help your pet keep up (best when the mobs are close in level), or
  • charm a higher level, beat up a low level, break and recharm the higher level (to kill the low level for full XP), then go kill another low level (better when there are big differences in level)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-23-2020 at 07:53 PM..
Old 05-23-2020, 09:15 PM
Planar Protector

Hide works about 50% of the time on woodies/halfers.

So half the time they wouldn't even need the ring.

Even if they fail hide, invis will only take 3 seconds to cast. The ticks are every 6 seconds, which means only a 50% chance the tick will overlap the invis casting.

So now we are down to a 25% chance of anything else occurring.

Now, you never really try get mobs down so low they could die in only one more round of combat because the damage is so variable from round to round that almost everyone charm killing for exp leaves a little buffer to avoid losing exp. In fact, it's usually the case you drop charm when you have the life low enough to kill the mob with one cast from whatever DD you you have slotted.

All said and done the chance you lose exp on a mob as a druid I'd estimate is less than 5% chance on any given charm/kill. And you are only losing 1 mobs exp,so it's actually closer to a 2.5% exp loss over time.

Like I said I think it's good for druids and all but not a must have. It's not nearly as important as it is for enchanters and to some degree a necro who can't get a CoS. Those classes usually have far more need gem-intensive spell setups.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hide works about 50% of the time on woodies/halfers.

So half the time they wouldn't even need the ring.

Even if they fail hide, invis will only take 3 seconds to cast. The ticks are every 6 seconds, which means only a 50% chance the tick will overlap the invis casting.
My Druid is a Halfling and has Hide, but IMHO it's worthless for charm fighting, because it doesn't matter if half the time Hide lets you break when you need it to ... if the other half the time you get 0% XP because you broke too late. You can save a tiny bit of meaningless mana if you use it just before you manually cast invis ... but even doing that is sub-optimal, because you won't know whether the charm will break immediately, or in the casting time of one invis (or possibly more if you get a fizzle or move or something).

When you're charm fighting the entire idea is to get 100% of 2 mobs worth of XP, and that means engaging two mobs at once ... which is dangerous as a Druid (and not a tank). To survive and get all the XP you have to break charm when you need it broken. There is a very small window between breaking too early, and having two mobs beating on you, and breaking too late, after one mob dies (if it wasn't your pet you just lost 50% XP, and if it was your pet you lost 100% ... and now one mob is now beating on you).

Casting Invis lets you hit that window, but with less precision; the ring let's you do it exactly. Like I said before it's hard to convey that value "on paper": mobs don't usually go from 20% to 0% in 3 seconds, so it sounds like this shouldn't matter, but in the chaotic practice of reality it really is a big deal. I highly recommend people don't try to forum-craft it, and just try doing some animal charming with it on a Druid. You will see the difference.

Last edited by loramin; 05-23-2020 at 10:07 PM..
Old 05-23-2020, 10:03 PM
Planar Protector

I don't think you understood what i wrote. You fail half the time to hide, you don't instantly lose the mob at that point. You should have backed it off, not just let it die. Then the only issue is the very small chance of a root breaking in the next 3 seconds.

And i don't need to play a druid with one. I played a necro charming the entire way from 30 to 58 without a CoS or gaz ring.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think you understood what i wrote. You fail half the time to hide, you don't instantly lose the mob at that point. You should have backed it off, not just let it die. Then the only issue is the very small chance of a root breaking in the next 3 seconds.

And i don't need to play a druid with one. I played a necro charming the entire way from 30 to 58 without a CoS or gaz ring.
Have you tried charming with a CoS? If not I can lend you my Necro's for a week (he's busy murdering the residents of the Karanas right now, he won't mind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

Last edited by loramin; 05-23-2020 at 10:13 PM..
Old 05-23-2020, 10:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you tried charming with a CoS?
yes.. i have. Quite a bit. But it's apples and oranges. Druids are not nearly as gem hungry when soloing with charm, nor do Iksar get hide.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:37 PM
Planar Protector

Well, all I can say is that as a Halfling Druid the ring made a huge difference for me from 15-45, and 55-60 (45-55 were my quadding levels).

If you feel otherwise we'll just have to agree to disagree ... but I'd still encourage you to try it on a Druid with Hide before you assume anything just from crunching numbers.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:45 PM
Planar Protector

It did not make a huge difference in efficiency. It might have made a huge difference for your effort to perform the task efficiently.
Closed Thread