Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 02:49 AM
Planar Protector

When you guys goto a BBQ do you stand like 500 yards away and start running towards the grill, though you can't run TOO fast (or you will be disqualified from a piece of chicken), and then if you make it to the grill first you get to cook some chicken and only you get to eat it?
Old 08-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you guys goto a BBQ do you stand like 500 yards away and start running towards the grill, though you can't run TOO fast (or you will be disqualified from a piece of chicken), and then if you make it to the grill first you get to cook some chicken and only you get to eat it?
Not sure it's worse than folks on your server just brutally murdering each other trying to get to the grill, and the lone survivor getting to eat a nice porterhouse steak amongst all of the rotting corpses.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 08-14-2019, 10:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure it's worse than folks on your server just brutally murdering each other trying to get to the grill, and the lone survivor getting to eat a nice porterhouse steak amongst all of the rotting corpses.
Your parallel was stupid.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

I thought there weren't enough people on red to do actual PvP?

(But yes, not Yendor's best work)

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 08-14-2019, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

Well, sorry I can't just pop off a "Sorry you didn't get warder loot" every other post and drown in hot elf poon like Ripqozko can.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 08-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylan295 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s funny, and there are still some folks that would like to move to closed bids, but most Riot folks seem very happy with our DKP system. We even did a survey (were probably due for another) and folks were overwhelmingly in favor.
I love our guys. But, i still overwhelmingly hate open bids and would chop off a pinky toe to go to closed bids.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:18 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivaeb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love our guys. But, i still overwhelmingly hate open bids and would chop off a pinky toe to go to closed bids.
What's the advantage of closed bids then?

I like the transparency of open bids. But I've never tried closed bids.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
open bidding encourages bid sniping and also contributes to DKP inflation to an extent. with open bids, people can just bid the minimum that it would take to win, rather than bidding e.g. 20% over the "going rate" for the item to secure it for themselves.

exempli gratia:

person A has 200 DKP
person B has 300 DKP

open bidding:
person A really wants the item, so they go all-in at 200 DKP. person B sees this, knows person A only has 200 DKP, so they bid 201. person B wins, person A feels really shitty about it because it's only 1 dkp (or whatever the minimum bid increment is)

closed bidding:
person A goes all-in at 200 DKP, person B also really wants item so goes all-in at 300 DKP. person B still wins, but person A doesn't have to feel terrible about it because they bid what they could afford, and so did person B.

even in a closed bidding scenario where someone wins with a +1 bid, it still doesn't feel as terrible just because you know that the other person didn't do it intentionally.
And the goal is to protect the person emotionally invested in pixel acquisition?
Old 08-14-2019, 07:01 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And the goal is to protect the person emotionally invested in pixel acquisition?
P99 is my safespace.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:05 PM
Planar Protector

Guild composed of 17 other guilds in order to even have a chance at competing bragging in 2019 on a 10 year olf elf sim server with wow classic around the corner. Yikes