Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Server GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not in this case. Links could be taken out via a couple different methods. We experimentally played with disabling them during the course of UI work. The P1999 admins want links left in because they feel it reduces scamming and hence their own CS workload.

Danth
Who said this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contraceptive View Post
If you can prove God is real to me I might believe you aren't just a virgin that has been given fake internet powers that you over-wield on an imaginary game. Also, don't forget to take contraceptive, the world doesn't need any more yous. Ah who the hell am I kidding you're not reproducing you're too busy blanket banning people on a 20 year old elf simulator.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Who said this?
Rogean I think, might've been Nilbog. Both of them were in the UI discord channel. The UI guys (especially Deezy) were eager to remove links but were overruled. One very easy method would've been to remove the icons in the item stat window and elsewhere (which aren't classic)....that wouldn't remove item ID-based item links but would get rid of the casual rightclick link that most people mainly use.

Danth
Old 11-07-2019, 12:00 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the theory is that it opens the door for scams? I guess under the idea that if you don't link the item and instead just list the stats in your /auc and someone just trusts you and doesn't bother to inspect the item in the trade window, then you scammed them? But if you're not double checking the item in the trade window has the stats the seller claimed it did, you're kind of a moron.
That solution is easy, don't get scammed next time. "we don't take CSRs if you're not paying attention." Even with linking, I sold a mino battle the other day and had an orc axe in my inv and made sure that I was trading the right one. Were I more sketchy(I'm only Lesser Sketchy, not a Greater Sketchy), I still could have tried to give them the wrong item like a douche-nozzel, resulting in a CSR.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Item linking? No. CS total nightmare with trade scammers.
Also saw some interesting posts by nilbog who seems to be in support of it's removal.
rogean and sirken seemed to think it was tied to the titanium client.
(based on searches of the forums)
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:05 PM
Banned

Get some betters Ears, Tud.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:15 PM
Server GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogean I think, might've been Nilbog. Both of them were in the UI discord channel. The UI guys (especially Deezy) were eager to remove links but were overruled. One very easy method would've been to remove the icons in the item stat window and elsewhere (which aren't classic)....that wouldn't remove item ID-based item links but would get rid of the casual rightclick link that most people mainly use.

Danth
Interesting. I'm no dev, but I've been under the impression that it would be quite difficult to remove item linking with the titanium client without screwing up itemid #s. Or at least it would take loads and loads of time and/or rewriting a ton of script to make it happen (like dropping coin).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contraceptive View Post
If you can prove God is real to me I might believe you aren't just a virgin that has been given fake internet powers that you over-wield on an imaginary game. Also, don't forget to take contraceptive, the world doesn't need any more yous. Ah who the hell am I kidding you're not reproducing you're too busy blanket banning people on a 20 year old elf simulator.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(like dropping coin).
So you're saying there is a hope for dropping coin!? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pras the classic immersion! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwen42 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The "classic" "not classic" argument is just bad and should be abandoned. It's not a great defense for anything they are doing/not doing. Just say what your vision is and why you're doing it and be done. I don't have to agree, but at least I won't feel like I'm getting bullshat. It's clear that things are dependent on the whims of the devs, for good reasons sometimes, but don't blow smoke about the classicness.

The core of what everyone likes about "classic" EQ is going to vary and you can't please everyone.
My core is
1. Death means something
2. Travel is not instant and/or has a cost.
3. Not an endless skinner-box Sure, we're all working on levels and items, but it's generally slow rather than constant timed rewards every 10 minutes. You're putting work in.
4. Plenty of interaction with others good or bad. WoW feels like a single-player game.

Any change that doesn't affect this is ok in my book. Making the UI less intuitive and useful seems really grognard to me. Just because we didn't know what good UI or player controls were in 1999 doesn't mean we should go back to it. Removing linking is just silly and doesn't affect aspects 1-4, but makes the game just a tiny % more tedious for no reason. There's overall a just a bunch of tiny QoL control and usability improvements I'd like to see. Like "Can I ctrl+m to meditate please?"

Looking at the book doesn't bother me and kinda makes sense, you're suppose to be "meditating."
Yep, I agree. 'Shit's classic' ought to be modified to 'shits classic or it's impossible or the devs have decided to not implement it'. The spirit of this server being classic is strong, as this poster points out. The letter of the law is not as important, except when it's being used as a forumquest hammer. We cannot go back fully, even if they were at 100% the same as 1999 we would not be the same excited bunch of idiots who know nothing as we were back then. Yknow what's NOT classic? Us.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Interesting. I'm no dev, but I've been under the impression that it would be quite difficult to remove item linking with the titanium client without screwing up itemid #s. Or at least it would take loads and loads of time and/or rewriting a ton of script to make it happen (like dropping coin).
And screwing up item ids would, I'm assuming, create more problems on the CSR side when trying to confirm scams and/or RMT?
Old 11-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by silo32 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so its not classic but makes life easier on devs

but the other changes pet windows, cycle targeting, etc that don't benefit players are certainly removed because "classic"

lmao

cherry picking at its core
how much are you paying for this server?
Closed Thread