Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 09-26-2023, 05:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ranger will get slapped around hard compared to pally. They can’t tank worth a damn. Those temple mobs are no joke from what I remember. It was the pyramid #2 on map I assume you’re referring to.
I only noticed an issue with ranger tanking after level 40. Not even in particularly great gear - Ivy etched kinda stuff. It gets a bit better again at 51. I suspect the issue was due to the defence caps stagnating in 40s (I think this has changed since I levelled mine) and then there being a change to how worn ac caps are calculated post 50. idk.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 09-26-2023, 11:51 AM
Fire Giant

Ranger tanking is only noticeably inferior to warrior tanking at the highest levels of kunark/velious content. And maybe PoSky.

I’ve tanked Faydedar on a ranger no problem. He’s not a top notch dragon, but there’s really only a handful of mobs outside of ToV that need a sturdier tank.

Get that hammer, and get a Tolan BP. Having self portability options is fantastic
Red99: 60 Ranger / 60 Rogue / 60 Monk / 60 Necro / 55 Wiz / 54 Paladin / 54 Bard / 48 Druid
Old 09-26-2023, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

i never had an issue ranger tanking, of course with gear, from 1-60. it really wasnt hard or bad.

with gear ive tanked all of VP/hot, etc. can others do better? sure but its not like rangers cant, they can get pretty decent HP and VP dies in a disc timer.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imago [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ranger tanking is only noticeably inferior to warrior tanking at the highest levels of kunark/velious content. And maybe PoSky.

I’ve tanked Faydedar on a ranger no problem. He’s not a top notch dragon, but there’s really only a handful of mobs outside of ToV that need a sturdier tank.

Get that hammer, and get a Tolan BP. Having self portability options is fantastic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i never had an issue ranger tanking, of course with gear, from 1-60. it really wasnt hard or bad.

with gear ive tanked all of VP/hot, etc. can others do better? sure but its not like rangers cant, they can get pretty decent HP and VP dies in a disc timer.
Did you guys level your rangers before / after the AC revamp? After the defence skill cap changed to 220?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 09-26-2023, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you guys level your rangers before / after the AC revamp? After the defence skill cap changed to 220?
Before I leveled in 2016 for ranger
Old 09-27-2023, 12:14 PM
Planar Protector

It’s not so much AC as the hp pool of the average ranger. Mine usually runs MR gear for the fantasy I might pull something. Without BiS that usually means a mid/low 2k hp ranger. Where a tank can more confidently stack hp > all gear (AC usually comes with it). I’ve tanked slowed cliff golems with my ranger and get beat up pretty bad. The pally it’s rather boring. Whether due to the AC, defense skills, or almost double the self buffed HP. Technically either works though so it just depends on perspective and how much mana efficiency matters.

With a quick slow anyone can tank anything. Hell, Bard regen is enough to keep up with almost any blue con and the right group composition. Objectively though, rangers are more squishy then knights. Knights a bit more than monks (it’s close but monks prob have the edge, but average with higher hps). Warriors are the best outside aggro.

Slow early. Make sure nobody runs out of red bar. Win the game.
Last edited by Snaggles; 09-27-2023 at 12:17 PM..
Old 09-27-2023, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

As for that last post, doesn’t really matter in CT. I know some rangers with a woodsman and fungi who leveled there with ease. They probably know the zone really well and were selective.

In general, HP recovery of a ranger or even SK even with a fungi is low. That’s the issue here. Compared to a monk or especially a pally 45+ and you can face tank for days.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:52 PM
Planar Protector

I haven’t had time to play this week. I did go to CT but I admittedly don’t know the zone well. It might be one of the only zones in the game I could get lost in (and quite easily). The heals through the walls were just awful but when I could isolate mobs away from heals it wasn’t that bad. I did get a few levels there.

Maybe it would have been easier sober? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

By the end of the session I had imbibed enough that I can’t immediately recall what level I was when I logged out. 43 or 44 I think?

All in all I rate the zone as overly complicated and buggy as hell … but I did it (well some of it).
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 09-29-2023, 04:34 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I haven’t had time to play this week. I did go to CT but I admittedly don’t know the zone well. It might be one of the only zones in the game I could get lost in (and quite easily). The heals through the walls were just awful but when I could isolate mobs away from heals it wasn’t that bad. I did get a few levels there.

Maybe it would have been easier sober? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

By the end of the session I had imbibed enough that I can’t immediately recall what level I was when I logged out. 43 or 44 I think?

All in all I rate the zone as overly complicated and buggy as hell … but I did it (well some of it).
What level did you start to hunt there?
Old 09-29-2023, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

38-39?
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2