Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 02:41 PM
Sarnak

Default Asking everywhere cuz I’m obsessed

Are Hammered Golden Loops worth the hit to AC for a monk? I’ve gotten several different opinions so let’s hear some more. Currently wearing Pearly Sarnak Bauble +Earring of essence.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2021, 12:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleLegit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are Hammered Golden Loops worth the hit to AC for a monk? I’ve gotten several different opinions so let’s hear some more. Currently wearing Pearly Sarnak Bauble +Earring of essence.

Thanks
My general opinion is hammered golden loops are good for raiding. This is because there are mobs that either hit so hard AC is not very useful, or mobs have high resist or unresistable AoEs. Max HP will give you more bang for your buck than AC in those situations. In solo/group situaltions AC is much more useful, and the -30 ac for a pair probably negatively offsets the HP gain considerably in most cases.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-20-2021 at 12:56 AM..
Old 06-20-2021, 10:33 AM
Planar Protector

For most classes and situations they are BiS. Even tanking blue con stuff on a pally I rarely swap from Chokidai Pauldrons to Imbued Granites and that’s a 15ac difference (for 100+ hps). So you *might* use AC gear if monk tanking blue cons in normal zones or solo, that’s about it.

In your case pulling between the raw hps and sv magic they seem perfect. AC isn’t going to help with spell damage or AoE’s. I don’t know if mend ever caps at a number but if always a percentage/hps having those earrings will also help it heal more.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:10 AM
Planar Protector

Unpopular opinion around here but those chardok 75hp earrings just aren't anything special unless you've run out of other things to work towards. You're min maxing your hp at that point and we're all way past realizing that min/maxing is a meta game that isn't necessary.
Last edited by Pint; 06-21-2021 at 08:13 AM..
Old 06-21-2021, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unpopular opinion around here but those chardok 75hp earrings just aren't anything special unless you've run out of other things to work towards. You're min maxing your hp at that point and we're all way past realizing that min/maxing is a meta game that isn't necessary.
I can feel that. That last couple/few hundred hps isn't a dealbreaker in a game that little is. Slippery slopes aside, unless you're hell bent on the tryhard points or have a chardok farmer...meh.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:19 PM
Planar Protector

tl/dr
Can be good for Raiding* - Dragon AE damage , more HP = more buffer before death
Bad for Soloing - Mobs will melee you harder

*But at that point why not consider a resist earring instead of 75 HP. The EHP (effective hit points) is about the same if that particular resist is stacked high enough.
Because if you fully resist the AE damage you take zero damage. compared to that 75 life you may only take 1/3 - 2/3 that ae damage for 1 time then it's not doing anything unless you get healed.

Mostly ogre warriors stack HP for raiding but as Pint said it's really not NEEDED for any raid content on p99. Those ogre warriors boasting 7k hp buffed, yeah they have a huge buffer but an ogre warrior with 5k can do the same exact content.

So if we get into the debate of monks pulling, with lower AC you will take more melee damage if you happen to get hit. at which point that extra 75 hp isn't doing what it was intended for.

my 2 cents, get yourself some kickass resist earrings and never swap them out.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 06-21-2021 at 02:27 PM..
Old 06-21-2021, 08:14 PM
Planar Protector

I think in most cases HP then resists is the way to go.

I think the Sontalak fight really tests this.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Sontalak

Have too little HP and your liable to wipe the raid.

And then there is AoW where at least the tank should dive all in on HP items.
Closed Thread