Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-29-2020, 10:38 AM
Sarnak

Has anyone just tried the age-old fix of changing your wireless card's txqueuelen to 0 instead of 1000? (Wifi cards might require 100 or something, gotta frob the knob a bit until you get a setting that works)

No one searches for "Bufferbloat" these days. TCP has a lot of built-in congestion control and can take a while for things to become responsive, and modern network configs put a lot of buffering and increase the lag time for those control systems to realize that yes Virginia we have a gigabit connection upstream.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:16 PM
Sarnak

Turns out qlen 0 doesn't fix it. Middlemand on wifi for me too.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:51 AM
Kobold

I have the same problem described here but on LAN, which middleman fixes too.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:58 AM
Orc

Built for windows here: https://github.com/rm-you/p99-login-...s/tag/win-rel1
Old 04-15-2022, 08:28 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Send a message via MSN to Rabcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep in mind Zaela's fix addressed one specific (and Linux-specific issue), that was introduced years ago.

Since then Rogean has made further changes, which is (presumably) why Middleman D stopped working for me awhile back, and I had to use a VPN. But honestly, the VPN is worth the money even separate from P99 (to let me use bit torrent safely), so that's why I haven't bothered to figure out the "real" solution.
Zaela's fix works for me, had a huge issue where everytime i launch the game my server list is empty and i'd have to wait around 30 minutes (not much less, not much more, there's like a window) before the server list would populate on my next login and i'd be able to get in.

Then I crashed on a zone-in and kinda ragequit cuz it'd take 30 mins to get back in, didn't play for a few weeks after.

Then today I tried Zaela's fix and it just worked. Maybe the reason it stopped working for you was that your eqhost.txt got reset or something? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Apparently it does 2 things, not just one, one of those things was to work around a linux issue with UDP over wifi, but that's just an afterthought, the main thing it does is to filter the serverlist to only show p99 servers, as Zaela said in the first page of this thread, so that the client doesn't have to process as big of a server list which seems to make it less error prone.
Last edited by Rabcor; 04-15-2022 at 08:34 PM..
Old 04-15-2022, 09:23 PM
Kobold

I've been using this script to start both Zaela's login helper and eq for years now. I'd still be spamming logins to get servers shown to this day without the login helper, thank you Zaela!

https://gist.github.com/mgeitz/aa295...d818d0ebb3e37a
Old 04-16-2022, 04:23 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

That script seems like maybe a bit much, I just installed it via lutris then configured lutris to use a pre-launch script to start a midi synthesizer (qsynth) for working audio and Zaela's login helper:

Quote:
#!/bin/sh

if pgrep "qsynth" > /dev/null; then
:
else
/usr/bin/qsynth &>/dev/null
fi

if pgrep "p99-login" > /dev/null; then
exit
else
$HOME/Scripts/p99-login-middlemand &>/dev/null
fi

Then a post-exit script when i close the game:

Quote:
#!/bin/sh

pkill qsynth
pkill p99-login
Honestly i'm a bit surprised Zaela's login helper isn't part of the lutris installer, it really should be. It's a godsend, I almost gave up on playing until i found out about it.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:40 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Anybody run into this issue on steam deck (arch linux) when trying to compile Zaela's login helper?

Code:
cc -c -o build/main.o src/main.c -O2 -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing
In file included from src/connection.h:5:0,
from src/main.c:2:
src/netcode.h:10:10: fatal error: errno.h: No such file or directory
#include <errno.h>
^~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
Makefile:30: recipe for target 'build/main.o' failed
make: *** [build/main.o] Error 1

I'm trying to get EQ running on my steam deck but can't get through this step. Anybody give up on this and just use a VPN?
Old 09-03-2022, 11:48 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anybody run into this issue on steam deck (arch linux) when trying to compile Zaela's login helper?

Code:
cc -c -o build/main.o src/main.c -O2 -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing
In file included from src/connection.h:5:0,
from src/main.c:2:
src/netcode.h:10:10: fatal error: errno.h: No such file or directory
#include <errno.h>
^~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
Makefile:30: recipe for target 'build/main.o' failed
make: *** [build/main.o] Error 1

I'm trying to get EQ running on my steam deck but can't get through this step. Anybody give up on this and just use a VPN?
Edit: I just realized, you're not running the command from the correct directory :'D you have to open the terminal inside the build directory before running the make command otherwise it complains about no such file or directory, oh well, I suppose you can still use my precompiled file if u want, if you don't manage to compile it yourself.

I'm not an expert on this, but building software like this usually has dependenies, in a lot of cases though it has the same dependencies. Steam deck's OS is arch based I think, and on arch there's a meta package called base-devel which contains a whole lot of common build dependencies.

One possible solution might be doing this and installing that meta package afterwards. (It's a bad idea for a lot of reasons, but i mean if you're desperate then you're desperate)

There's probably a better solution (I don't have a steam deck but i imagine it has a package manager and an official repository for packages in it which probably contain all the packages under the base-develpackage on arch, and installing each one manually would for instance be a better if slower solution)

If you're linux savvy at all you might also be better off just replacing steamos with a distro of oyur choice (manjaro for instance), if you're not though then you probably shouldn't.

Lastly (and probably most easily) you can just get it precompiled, here's mine, I compiled it on manjaro (the .txt extension was necessary to be able to upload the file, just download it, remove .txt, make it executable (chmod +x) and run it if you want to use it):
Attached Files
File Type: txt p99-login-middlemand.txt (17.5 KB, 16 views)
Last edited by Rabcor; 09-04-2022 at 12:04 AM..
Old 09-12-2022, 08:26 PM
Fire Giant

Installing base-devel still results in the same error on makefile. I tried using your and my own precompiled file and that throws an error on GLIBC_2.34 not found. For now, tethering to my phone works on steamdeck, but I'd like to get this compiled for arch linux (steam os).