Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 10:04 AM
Planar Protector

Default Georgia voting law change

I stay out of politics as much as possible, but this one came to my attention because MLB is taking the All-Star game out of Atlanta this year. I thought it was a covid concern but upon googling and researching it seems to be a response to what many view as a racist or discrimination change to the voting laws in the state of Georgia.

Reading through the law, and keeping a neutral opinion, I'm failing to see how this bill is racist or discriminate? It seems like it's only requiring a photo ID or driver's license number for voters and wouldn't that be to ensure voting accuracy and integrity? Also read about how they're stricter on the type of voting locations (no rv type places) but I am not finding anything that seems racist. It was odd that they make it illegal to give food and drink to voters in line...that was the only eyebrow raising thing I read about.

Someone help me understand what the fuss is about?

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Last edited by Evia; 04-03-2021 at 10:08 AM..
Old 04-03-2021, 10:14 AM
Planar Protector

If a person wearing a Vote Democrat t-shirt gives you a Milky Way, that can be construed as campaigning, which is not allowed at polling places.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:44 AM
Planar Protector

Voting should require an usa ID, for example a drivers license as proof that you are an American citizen and are who you say you are.

It's illegal to tell people who to vote for in a voting line. This is similar to giving people food/drinks in a voting line.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If a person wearing a Vote Democrat t-shirt gives you a Milky Way, that can be construed as campaigning, which is not allowed at polling places.
It's not illegal to eat and drink in a voting line either
Old 04-03-2021, 10:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by G13 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not illegal to eat and drink in a voting line either
Gr8 bring your own snacks then.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:59 AM
Planar Protector

You guys are completely ignoring the context and history of what Georgia has done to black voters.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You guys are completely ignoring the context and history of what Georgia has done to black voters. If you just look at the law in complete isolation, it looks sorta kinda reasonable, as it was designed to look.

But if you look at it in the long context of Georgia doing everything it can to suppress black votes ... and this law coming right after Georgia voted for a Democratic president ... it's blatantly part of that long history of voter suppression.

Just as a for instance, there is zero need for an ID to vote. We do not have a problem with people voting as other people (our system is designed to handle it already), and tons of studies show as much. The only reason the ID requirement was added is because the lawmakers knew people without legal IDs were disproportionately black: they knew that adding that vote would make it more difficult for legitimate black adult voters to vote.
I'm not paying reparations for something I didn't do. fuck that.

Let's look to moving forwards as humans and solving problems. Not dwelling on the past, Note I didn't say we can't learn from the past.

You find me part of the present day bill/law that equates to the black voter suppression of the past and then you'll have an argument.

Edit: Have you read the actual bill or are you just going off what some news outlet is telling you?
Last edited by Baler; 04-03-2021 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: We The People
Old 04-03-2021, 11:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not paying reparations for something I didn't do. fuck that.
Translation: I'm going to completely ignore all of human history prior to what I remember, and pretend the world has always been an equally happy place for everyone. That's how I like to make my moral judgements, on critical issues like who is allowed to participate in our democracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Edit: Have you read the actual bill or are you just going off what some news outlet is telling you?
Have you actually read the entire bill?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:14 AM
Planar Protector

Isn't it technically stereotyping, or maybe even racist, to assume that those without legal ID are primarily black? Where is this conclusion drawn from?

Seems like a reach to me to pull up Georgia's history of racism
This bill and Georgia's history in regards to slavery seem unrelated. Still failing to see the reasoning for the drastic outcry from many, including mlb, in regards to this bill. I feel like people are trying to make everything a race issue these days and idk why?

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 04-03-2021, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Translation: I'm going to completely ignore all of human history prior to what I remember, and pretend the world has always been an equally happy place for everyone. That's how I make my moral judgements on critical issues like how is allowed to participate in our democracy.
I think you're letting your emotions get control of this one.
In my post I included.
Quote:
Note I didn't say we can't learn from the past.
Quote:
Have you actually read the entire bill?
Answering my question with a question. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Isn't it technically stereotyping, or maybe even racist, to assume that those without legal ID are primarily black? Where is this conclusion drawn from?
Yes, Yes it is.
But i'm sure the news outlets went down to the georgia DMV, USPS and state capital to verify the ethnicity of each Georgia citizen who has a valid ID in 2021.
They would never sensationally spit out non-founded information to get people upset. *wink*
Last edited by Baler; 04-03-2021 at 11:21 AM..
Closed Thread