Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 09:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecisive [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This has been suggested many times, but the devs don't seem to be very interested in the idea. Perhaps it's too much work, or too unclassic, or all of the above - nobody but them really knows. Point is, as good an idea as I and many others believe it is, I wouldn't hold my breath OP.
I bet someone would have to push a button and that would be too much work.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 05-28-2021, 02:17 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Great comments. Yes I could see either removing all ZEM or do a rotating ZEM. The behaviour I think we want is to get enough critical mass in zones to get people to explore together. A rotating ZEM would do that i would think.

Also /wave skeleton!
Old 05-30-2021, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

Why do people need to explore? It's a 22 year old game, most everyone here knows every zone. All a Rotating ZEM accomplishes is it taking a few days for people to find the best ZEM and then that will be the place everyone congregates.

If ZEM values are flat across the board, then everyone just packs back into the zones with the best Loot, i.e. Sebilis.

At least the Hole can literally support 10-12 groups of people wanting to XP comfortably. Can't say the same for other zones.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 05-30-2021, 10:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why do people need to explore? It's a 22 year old game, most everyone here knows every zone. All a Rotating ZEM accomplishes is it taking a few days for people to find the best ZEM and then that will be the place everyone congregates.

If ZEM values are flat across the board, then everyone just packs back into the zones with the best Loot, i.e. Sebilis.

At least the Hole can literally support 10-12 groups of people wanting to XP comfortably. Can't say the same for other zones.
Yeah, that's sort of the trick. If XP is the same everywhere, then everyone just fills up the good loot zones.

Currently, the Hole has a ton of people, but it's not particularly hard to convince folks to go to the (many) open loot camps in KC/Seb.

Likewise at lower levels, if ZEMs were flat/random, no one would ever go to CT (healing mobs are awful) or Splitpaw (no loot whatsoever) or Permafrost (who wants to go that far?).

Case in point to that: look at TLP servers. CT/Splitpaw/Perma are ghosttowns. Same with Runnyeye and Gorge and all the other under-utilized zones. By giving them a high XP modifier, people are incentivized to go to those zones instead of Unrest->UGuk->Lguk->KC->Seb (the TLP path).

The issue is that (basically) all of us know the zones and know what's good or bad about them. There are intrinsic reasons Odus was 100% empty before the Hole launched.

However, because the zones with poor XP still have great loot (Lguk/KC/Seb/etc), you can pretty easily round up a group of friends/guildmates to go there. No one is going to complain too much about the slower XP of disco.

But the nature of the current server population is that if you want a pickup group without putting forth any effort to build it yourself (what most people want) a single hub zone will exist. No amount of changing ZEMs will alter that.

TLDR; If you don't want to put forth the effort of making an adventuring group to go somewhere fun, don't complain that others don't want to do that either and just live with the hub zone. If you do want to take the iniative, the balance of risk/reward is actually pretty good such that it's not too hard to go where you want with whom you want to if you try.
Last edited by jadier; 05-30-2021 at 10:12 PM..
Old 05-31-2021, 05:24 PM
Orc

This new rule set of TLP is super crowded, so I'm seeing activity in the Karanas, Crushbone, CT, Najena. Its nice that people are out exploring snd grouping in under utilized zones. Of course, Unrest also has 7 instances going, lol.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floraline [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This new rule set of TLP is super crowded, so I'm seeing activity in the Karanas, Crushbone, CT, Najena. Its nice that people are out exploring snd grouping in under utilized zones. Of course, Unrest also has 7 instances going, lol.
Yeah, the new rule set does the opposite of what’s proposed here. Instead of making everywhere equal xp, they’ve made everything equal loot.

If you equalized both xp and loot, then sure, that will expand the player base. But even then, given how tricky it is the move around the world, most folks will just plop in one “good” zone and all semi-afk until they get a group invite. As you point out, that’s why there’re still 7 unrest instances!
Old 05-31-2021, 10:24 PM
Aviak

My idealized terribly unclassic suggestions to hopefully encourage people to spread out to underutilized zones:

1) Boost group xp bonuses so that adding a 3rd member's division in total xp is halved, 4th is quartered and the 5th and 6th members would be essentially free with no further reduction in group xp rewards. Encouraging large groups and going to less crowded/more dangerous zones.

2) Give all Kunark & Velious zones a modest base ZEM boost to reflect the increased hp/damage tables & difficulty those areas have over old world content. 5%-10%.

3) Indoor dungeon zones gain a base ZEM bonus over outdoor zones of 10%. Additionally up to a small 5% base ZEM bonus based on length of respawn times, 5% max at 25+ minute respawn times. Additional small base ZEM bonuses subject to barriers to entry, ie. key, quest item or port requirement etc.

4) Indoor dungeon zones gain a dynamic ZEM modifier that reflects usage:

For every total in game day (72 minutes) that 13+ players have been active (killing/receiving XP from any significant amount of monsters, ie. 5+ kills) The ZEM decreases 1% or if no or <7 players active ZEM increases 1%. Never going lower than outdoor zones base modifier with the bonuses from #3 and never going higher than a 200% total or double bonus over base outdoor XP. So up to 12 players could hunt in a dungeon zone with no - change in ZEM, Single group or abandoned areas accumulate a bonus and popular areas slowly decline down to base value. I'd favor not publishing the current ZEM anywhere but maybe showing a small "green" or "+" for zones with a strong bonus maybe on a /who report at least initially to encourage exploration.

5) Most controversial suggestion- Severely reduce XP base value of city guards/NPCs. Guard killing/camping should never have become the most profitable and safe source of XP & cash at mid to high level game. New characters in the yards and doing quests retain the big ZEM but guards spawning statically and alone shouldn't be notably better XP than clearing rooms of harder, patrolling spawns in remote zones.
Last edited by rajax; 05-31-2021 at 10:30 PM..
Old 06-01-2021, 03:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecisive [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This has been suggested many times, but the devs don't seem to be very interested in the idea. Perhaps it's too much work, or too unclassic, or all of the above - nobody but them really knows. Point is, as good an idea as I and many others believe it is, I wouldn't hold my breath OP.
Looking at it from an eqemu server perspective, it requires someone sitting down and tweaking lots of values in a db, which can be automated if the goal is just to make it random, but that might result in a zone like Highkeep getting a big ZEM, which will cause all kinds of issues for CSR. So then you would have to build some logic into the randomization script to keep some zones from getting unsustainable ZEMs.

So it quickly becomes a few hours worth of work.

And I know very well how rare it is to have a few hours to sit down and concentrate on something with my family and work commitments etc.

I'm not a P99 dev but that's my thought process and I'd wager theirs is similar...
Old 06-01-2021, 08:49 AM
Large Rat

1. Will certainly be abused, you will just have bots/alts filling those spots afk

2. If you boost outdoor kunark zones it will just mean bards, druids, wizards level faster and you'll see even more PL groups. I do agree that end game dungeons could use a little tweaking.. . but outside of those, ultimately I think you'd just see the majority of them being used to level up alts faster via PL ala runnyeye.

3/4. How much faster do you want levelling to be than it is now ? Your solution of making it easier to level overall with further incentives or using complicated mechanics to artificially control xp seems counter to the point of classic EQ and what makes it interesting. This type of over thinking is what lead mmo's into a death spiral in my opinion

5. There are only so many zones with guards to kill. By eliminating this, you're robbing people of a relaxing solo playstyle enjoyed by many. Some don't like grouping or being funneled into what you deem is the only way to play the game. This would also just result in more stress and people fighting over a now a reduced amount of solo spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My idealized terribly unclassic suggestions to hopefully encourage people to spread out to underutilized zones:

1) Boost group xp bonuses so that adding a 3rd member's division in total xp is halved, 4th is quartered and the 5th and 6th members would be essentially free with no further reduction in group xp rewards. Encouraging large groups and going to less crowded/more dangerous zones.

2) Give all Kunark & Velious zones a modest base ZEM boost to reflect the increased hp/damage tables & difficulty those areas have over old world content. 5%-10%.

3) Indoor dungeon zones gain a base ZEM bonus over outdoor zones of 10%. Additionally up to a small 5% base ZEM bonus based on length of respawn times, 5% max at 25+ minute respawn times. Additional small base ZEM bonuses subject to barriers to entry, ie. key, quest item or port requirement etc.

4) Indoor dungeon zones gain a dynamic ZEM modifier that reflects usage:

For every total in game day (72 minutes) that 13+ players have been active (killing/receiving XP from any significant amount of monsters, ie. 5+ kills) The ZEM decreases 1% or if no or <7 players active ZEM increases 1%. Never going lower than outdoor zones base modifier with the bonuses from #3 and never going higher than a 200% total or double bonus over base outdoor XP. So up to 12 players could hunt in a dungeon zone with no - change in ZEM, Single group or abandoned areas accumulate a bonus and popular areas slowly decline down to base value. I'd favor not publishing the current ZEM anywhere but maybe showing a small "green" or "+" for zones with a strong bonus maybe on a /who report at least initially to encourage exploration.

5) Most controversial suggestion- Severely reduce XP base value of city guards/NPCs. Guard killing/camping should never have become the most profitable and safe source of XP & cash at mid to high level game. New characters in the yards and doing quests retain the big ZEM but guards spawning statically and alone shouldn't be notably better XP than clearing rooms of harder, patrolling spawns in remote zones.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:02 AM
Planar Protector

If you want people to adventure more, items would have level limits. People would bounce around zones working on upgrading their gear.
Closed Thread